Topic Wiki

Lots of stringencies, but you can keep one day shabbos in hawaii without guilt.

SFs pros and cons list: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10713.msg68565#msg68565
« Last edited by Dan on October 20, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »

Author Topic: Chabad Minhagim: Pros & Cons  (Read 319219 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Chabad Minhagim: Pros & Cons
« Reply #1180 on: September 20, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »
For what it's worth, I will say that even if someone had negative feelings of hatred towards a certain movement, outlook, following, belief system, or even religion; it does not at all mean that one has to hate the people in it/suscribing to it or following it.

So for eg if someone has a son who belongs to a deranged cult, he can hate the cult, and speak negativity about it for years, while loving his son more than ever before.
Sounds like someone talking about BDS/Israel and Jews in general.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1181 on: September 20, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »
Sounds like someone talking about BDS/Israel and Jews in general.
Other than that they do things to actually hurt the poeple they are talking about.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1182 on: September 20, 2018, 07:22:26 PM »
Other than that they do things to actually hurt the poeple they are talking about.
While a person that holds and exercises sinas chinam hurts himself.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 20, 2018, 07:38:40 PM »
In addition to @Dan's answer, there's a huge difference between respectfully questioning a practice and branding said practice - done daily by thousands of Yidden - as being against halacha.

Now, add to that that the practice was instituted by a tremendous tzadik about whom there is no time or space right here to detail his literal mesirus nefesh for teaching Torah. This tzadik was then accused of breaking halacha "on a whim."

The amount of restraint on the part of forum members in response to that is admirable.

But on top of that, even had it been respectful questioning, not abhorrent hate mongering, the question was answered numerous times. The Tehillim is said after davenning, and the Frierdiker Rebbe even made sure to insist that a kaddish be said after davenning and before Tehillim to remove any illusion of it being a part of davenning. The name of the practice, as referred to by Chassidim and by the Frierdiker Rebbe in describing the practice is "Tehillim AFTER davenning."

The fact that he continues to double down on his absurd "changing nusach hatefillah" claims, even in the face of hearing Tehillim is recited after davenning in BMG, is more than telling.

There are also many other non Chabad shuls who add Tehillim for the land and/or residents of Israel, the troops, sick people and any number of causes and reasons. Yet they didn't "change nusach hatefillah on a whim".

Upthread I satirically said how Chabad replaced shema and shemona esrei with Tehillim. Patently absurd, right? Well, wouldn't you know, a few posts later that idea was posted in all seriousness as a criticism.
Not sure why that's sinas chinam. It can just as easily be bias or stubbornness. Sinas chinam would be hating a fellow religious jew. I can think of many groups of jews that have criticisms on other groups but do not hate them. And some of those criticisms would be called by many others absurd.
Basically, Cbc thinks chabad is crazy and views them through that prism.

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 20, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »

Not sure why that's sinas chinam. It can just as easily be bias or stubbornness. Sinas chinam would be hating a fellow jew. I can think of many groups of jews that have criticisms on other groups but do not hate them. And some of those criticisms would be called by many others absurd.

FTFY

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 20, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
While a person that holds and exercises sinas chinam hurts himself.
If it makes you feel better to think I "hate" chabbadskers or lubavitchers, that's fine with me.

We could argue all day about this.. ( If you really want to know how I feel, I'm going to share, that I'm convinced that chabbadskers harbor real sinas chinam to other FRUM Jews... But I don't really want to go there or start this whole discussion again. )

I'm sorry I mentioned this opposition to the tehillim. It is something that I thought opposition too was well established and understood. Didn't realize it was going to be a whole back and forth.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1186 on: September 20, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »
We could argue all day about this.. ( If you really want to know how I feel, I'm going to share, that I'm convinced that chabbadskers harbor real sinas chinam to other FRUM Jews... But I don't really want to go there or start this whole discussion again. )
Lol, but you just did. Nice.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 20, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
If it makes you feel better to think I "hate" chabbadskers or lubavitchers, that's fine with me.

I'm sorry I mentioned this opposition to the tehillim. It is something that I thought opposition too was well established and understood. Didn't realize it was going to be a whole back and forth.
so the biases are all there but let's not get into them as I have no inclination to defend them. I thought the criticisms were well established and i could just refer to criticism #35 (and meanwhile I'll throw in #27 without discussing it)

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #1188 on: September 20, 2018, 08:56:47 PM »
I'm super torn, on one hand I don't want to ever look at this thread, and the other hand Yehuda57 Keeps checking in and I cave in to my desires.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 20, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »
I'm super torn, on one hand I don't want to ever look at this thread, and the other hand Yehuda57 Keeps checking in and I cave in to my desires.
It's all yours, I'm done with that topic

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1190 on: September 20, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »
For what it's worth, I will say that even if someone had negative feelings of hatred towards a certain movement, outlook, following, belief system, or even religion; it does not at all mean that one has to hate the people in it/suscribing to it or following it.
Even worse. The hatred is for its leader.

כל אחד בונה במה לעצמו, בתורה ובעבודה, על-פי דעתו ושכלו דווקא, ואין אחד מתאחד ומתחבר עם רעהו. כל אחד מבטל את הטוב שבעבודת חברו, וכל חיסרון שימצא בה - יגדיל וירחיב עשרת מונים (אף אם אינו אלא חיצוני, שאינו נוגע בגוף ובעצם עבודתו). התנהגות זו מעידה ששונא הוא את חברו בליבו ואינו חפץ כלל בטובתו. ומהי הסיבה לשנאה זו? ישותו והרגשת עצמו, או בלשון אחרת: העדר הביטול והעדר הנחת עצמותו

Sure. Such opposition is well established and understood. It can have one and only root, which is why the details of the argument don’t merit a response, just like the Rebbe explained to Rabbi Kahana in a video I posted elsewhere on DDF.
-- Dan

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 20, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »

כל אחד בונה במה לעצמו, בתורה ובעבודה, על-פי דעתו ושכלו דווקא, ואין אחד מתאחד ומתחבר עם רעהו. כל אחד מבטל את הטוב שבעבודת חברו, וכל חיסרון שימצא בה - יגדיל וירחיב עשרת מונים (אף אם אינו אלא חיצוני, שאינו נוגע בגוף ובעצם עבודתו). התנהגות זו מעידה ששונא הוא את חברו בליבו ואינו חפץ כלל בטובתו. ומהי הסיבה לשנאה זו? ישותו והרגשת עצמו, או בלשון אחרת: העדר הביטול והעדר הנחת עצמותו
/quote]]

+1 great quote. Who said it?

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1192 on: September 20, 2018, 10:27:47 PM »

/quote]]

Considering who posted it....
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1193 on: September 20, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »
Not sure why that's sinas chinam. It can just as easily be bias or stubbornness. Sinas chinam would be hating a fellow religious jew. I can think of many groups of jews that have criticisms on other groups but do not hate them. And some of those criticisms would be called by many others absurd.
Dismissing thousands of yidden as "crazy"? Bias but not "sinas chinam".

Calling an established minhag Yisrael - which, need I remind you, Torah hi - a breach of halacha? Stubbornness, not "sinas chinam"

Being mevazeh a Talmid chacham berabim? Oh that is just CBC being CBC, no baseless sinah there.

You'll notice that in this very thread and in numerous others there is loads of questioning Chabad custom. How many got branded a soneh Yisrael?

One need not read through all the texts provided about this custom, the answer to the question is right there on the very first line. Literally. I've heard countless claims and accusations against Lubavitch. Never heard of Tehillim after davenning being an issue.

While it's generous of you to be melamed zchus, the prism I see is denigrating g'dolei Yisroel and generations of ehrliche Yidden based on nothing. That seems to me to be the very definition of sinas chinam.

I barely ever answer CBC seriously, it's almost always jokes from me - for the reasons @ExGingi mentioned. But you wanted to know why some would find his "biased prism" hateful, so here is a look into one instance, without delving into his post history.

There is a story I heard about a kindergarten aged child of Rabbi Slavaticki in Antwerp, and I don't know how true it is nor do I care. A non-Chabad classmate said to her, "my father doesn't like your Rebbe." To which she responded, "But my Rebbe loves your father."

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1194 on: September 20, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »
Dude, you need to get out more.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 20, 2018, 10:37:28 PM »
A non-Chabad classmate said to her, "my father doesn't like your Rebbe." To which she responded, "But my Rebbe loves your father."
she stole it from @meshugener 's signature.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 20, 2018, 10:39:21 PM »

It's in the links I post above.

IMNSHO when I post links they are usually worth following.
-- Dan

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 20, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »
Dude, you need to get out more.
Nah. There is no way this thread is good for me.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 20, 2018, 10:46:24 PM »

This thread should go back to its hilarious origins. Credit needs to be given to @Yehuda57 for inserting wit and humor. But please don't answer any arguments. It's just pointless and against the spirit of this thread.
-- Dan

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 20, 2018, 10:47:35 PM »

This thread should go back to its hilarious origins. Credit needs to be given to @Yehuda57 for inserting wit and humor. But please don't answer any arguments. It's just pointless and against the spirit of this thread.

Hence why I shouldn't be here, as well as why I can't control myself.