Topic Wiki

Lots of stringencies, but you can keep one day shabbos in hawaii without guilt.

SFs pros and cons list: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10713.msg68565#msg68565
« Last edited by Dan on October 20, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »

Author Topic: Chabad Minhagim: Pros & Cons  (Read 322956 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad Minhagim: Pros & Cons
« Reply #1340 on: September 27, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
There are no sources for eating in the rain. It's a hergesh that chassidim are not mitztaer or won't let physical things make them mitztaer from a mitzvah.
However making a beracha im such a case is highly debatable even amongst chabad.
The rebbe made a beracha in such situations, but many chassidim feel that tzaddikim are different as they truely are not mitztaer. We just try to emulate them.
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but fyi, the gemara is full of anecdotes of amoraim and tanoim (aka tzadikim) that were mitztaer and left the succa.

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 27, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »
There are no sources for eating in the rain. It's a hergesh that chassidim are not mitztaer or won't let physical things make them mitztaer from a mitzvah.
However making a beracha im such a case is highly debatable even amongst chabad.
The rebbe made a beracha in such situations, but many chassidim feel that tzaddikim are different as they truely are not mitztaer. We just try to emulate them.
You know Lubavitchers who wouldn't make a Berocho in the rain?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1342 on: September 27, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
Nope.
And FWIW, our one rainy meal was by far my favorite. Ate outside with my FIL and BIL and had a glorious meal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1343 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
I read 4 pages on it in here:
http://store.kehotonline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HL-OTSAMCE

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AussieMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 27, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
Me

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 27, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
Me
Felt zich in dein hiskashrus IMHO. I've never met anyone else that doesn't.
What other non-Chabad minhagim do you have?

Offline AussieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 27, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything
As long as it's Sukkos you can rain on my parade as much as you want

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1347 on: September 27, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »
I didn't ignore anything. My initial post on this minhag was that it is totally fine. Just added later that if all of the haddasim are not kosher, I would be more hesitant to say everyone thinks it's totally fine.
I can't imagine that the hamon am taking dozens of haddasim don't include any possul ones.

Is minhag chabad to make a tenay?
Maybe you first take a moment to familiarize yourself with minhag Chabad before you make assumptions.

Sefer haminhagim states that we don't add Arovos, but may add Hadassim, and mentions several counts (4, 12, 13, 26). IINM the Rebbe used 26 most years, possibly 36 on a שנה מעוברת, and in the later years.

For years there were very few people who actually added Hadassim (or had more than 4 haddasim). Then in the early 1990s the Rebbe encouraged the practice (and IINM suggested to add at least 3, will post source when I have it available).

Practically, if you look what "hamon haam" does, you'll see that most add a few Hadassim (so they have 6 or more), few have 3 or 4 while maybe 5% of the crowd has 36.

In recent years, I haven't seen Hadassim sold loose. Everybody buys pre sorted, so assuming one can rely on the Hashgochos on the sorting, they are all kosher.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 27, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
Nope.
And FWIW, our one rainy meal was by far my favorite. Ate outside with my FIL and BIL and had a glorious meal.

Because the women were inside?  :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 27, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
Because the women were inside?  :P
No comment.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1350 on: September 27, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »
I thought that's what you were alluding too.
Therein lies the problem. ;)

המעשה הוא העיקר. Stop thinking (or assuming). You should've joined @davidrotts63 in my Sukkah last night (though by the time he arrived the rain stopped, so we couldn't have our planned drink of water in a rainy Sukkah). Try to come tonight, maybe in your honor we'll have some rain so we can farbreng over some seltzer in a rainy Sukkah.
-- Dan

Offline AussieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 27, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »
Felt zich in dein hiskashrus IMHO. I've never met anyone else that doesn't.
What other non-Chabad minhagim do you have?
Lol. I just think chabad should distinguish between clear horaos from our rabeeim, and minhagim we have made ourselves, or learnt from Eltere  chassidim and their practices.
Btw, Did you ever ask the Rosh in LA regarding a beracha when raining?

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 27, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
He does not. Read it again.
והאומר שיש שם רבון אחד אלא שהוא גוף ובעל תמונה. א''א ולמה קרא לזה מין וכמה גדולים וטובים ממנו הלכו בזו המחשבה לפי מה שראו במקראות ויותר ממה שראו בדברי האגדות המשבשות את הדעות:

Regarding your second comment: it's okay to question why, not okay to counter.  Similar to the difference between "I don't understand the gemara" or "this gemara doesn't make sense"

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 27, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
You should've joined @davidrotts63 in my Sukkah last night (though by the time he arrived the rain stopped, so we couldn't have our planned drink of water in a rainy Sukkah). Try to come tonight, maybe in your honor we'll have some rain so we can farbreng over some seltzer in a rainy Sukkah.

Unfortunately, I was out of town last night. I'll be back tonight. Please let us know if there's a Farbrengen going on.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 27, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »

Regarding your second comment: it's okay to question why, not okay to counter.  Similar to the difference between "I don't understand the gemara" or "this gemara doesn't make sense"
ולמה קרא לזה מין Doesn't mean he agrees with them. It just means that he felt they can't be labeled as a מין.because then you're labeling all the רבים וטובים As מינים

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 27, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »
Lol. I just think chabad should distinguish between clear horaos from our rabeeim, and minhagim we have made ourselves, or learnt from Eltere  chassidim and their practices.
Btw, Did you ever ask the Rosh in LA regarding a beracha when raining?
Of course there are, and I'm not even a chabadnik. There's even halachic, non chabad sources given.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 27, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »
Maybe you first take a moment to familiarize yourself with minhag Chabad before you make assumptions.

Sefer haminhagim states that we don't add Arovos, but may add Hadassim, and mentions several counts (4, 12, 13, 26). IINM the Rebbe used 26 most years, possibly 36 on a שנה מעוברת, and in the later years.

For years there were very few people who actually added Hadassim (or had more than 4 haddasim). Then in the early 1990s the Rebbe encouraged the practice (and IINM suggested to add at least 3, will post source when I have it available).

Practically, if you look what "hamon haam" does, you'll see that most add a few Hadassim (so they have 6 or more), few have 3 or 4 while maybe 5% of the crowd has 36.

In recent years, I haven't seen Hadassim sold loose. Everybody buys pre sorted, so assuming one can rely on the Hashgochos on the sorting, they are all kosher.
So the minhag started in 1990? I would call it more of a hanhaga then a minhag then. Same with most of them that started the last 50 years...

Offline AussieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 27, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
Of course there are, and I'm not even a chabadnik. There's even halachic, non chabad sources given.
I take it back.
I meant, that the source is debatable.
The source that it is the chabad custom in the footnote is from a koivetz haaros which claims that the rebbe once said that. The details are unclear, and it's debatable to who and when it applies.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:22:27 AM by AussieMan »

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 27, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
The source that it is the chabad custom in the footnote is from a koivetz haaros which claims that the rebbe once said that. The details are very unclear, and it's definitely not considered a source that CBC is looking for.
שבח המועדים.
I was talking about for you.
For cbc there's the chida

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 27, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »
Unfortunately, I was out of town last night. I'll be back tonight. Please let us know if there's a Farbrengen going on.
You're more than welcome to arrange one. My Sukkah is always open.
-- Dan