Author Topic: Rental Car Help  (Read 6883 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Rental Car Help
« on: October 18, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
Need a car picked up from LAX from 11/4(9am)-11/8(5pm).

Probably need a mid-size or bigger.

Don't know much about corporate codes or how the rental car game works.

Have Amex Plat if it helps with upgrades.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Rental Car Help
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:11:22 PM »
Age? Also in the future please use this thread. http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=10605.0

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 05:29:09 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
Are you looking for the cheapest option? Or you prefer trying to get the nicest car?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
Are you looking for the cheapest option? Or you prefer trying to get the nicest car?

Nicest for the cheapest? :P

Just need a mid-size or bigger...

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »
There are two ways to do this.
1 is with Corp. codes, which can be found in the individual threads Jack12 opened. They can take an enormous time to find the best, and while some guarantee upgrades theres no real way to know (the list is completely mixed up). There is a potential issue with renting using corp codes of companies you don't work for - you might not be insured. Personally I doubt that's true, but keep it in mind. There is really no 1 best corp. code.... some are good for airports, some for underage, one-ways, additional drivers, guaranteed upgrades.  etc. Which is why it's nearly impossible to find the best. Also some are easier to pull off than others - you can easily be a Citi employee on leisure travel, but less likely to be on Military duty.

2. With regular public corporate codes (amex, delta, etc.). Then rely on status to get an upgrade. The rule of thumb is not to rent at an airport location (fees and taxes). If you have Amex Platinum, the best complimentary status you can get is from National, which gives you a free choice from its 'executive aisle'. Then your upgrade just depends on availability.
An upgrade is a highly negotiable thing - the guy can give it to you for free if he wants.
Another tip is to make reservations at multiple agencies and pick the one with the best available car (car reservations don't require a cc).

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »
There are two ways to do this.
1 is with Corp. codes, which can be found in the individual threads Jack12 opened. They can take an enormous time to find the best, and while some guarantee upgrades theres no real way to know (the list is completely mixed up). There is a potential issue with renting using corp codes of companies you don't work for - you might not be insured. Personally I doubt that's true, but keep it in mind. There is really no 1 best corp. code.... some are good for airports, some for underage, one-ways, additional drivers, guaranteed upgrades.  etc. Which is why it's nearly impossible to find the best. Also some are easier to pull off than others - you can easily be a Citi employee on leisure travel, but less likely to be on Military duty.

2. With regular public corporate codes (amex, delta, etc.). Then rely on status to get an upgrade. The rule of thumb is not to rent at an airport location (fees and taxes). If you have Amex Platinum, the best complimentary status you can get is from National, which gives you a free choice from its 'executive aisle'. Then your upgrade just depends on availability.
An upgrade is a highly negotiable thing - the guy can give it to you for free if he wants.
Another tip is to make reservations at multiple agencies and pick the one with the best available car (car reservations don't require a cc).

Thanks for the informative post. I don't have the head to shuffle through all of the mentioned corp codes, so I guess I'll just either use chabad-enterprise, or use one of the Amex Plat status ones.

If I do the latter, you'd recommend National? Also, can I book with my status for someone else?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »
The status applies also when you use the amex corp code, & probably the other codes too.
The status you get with National is the only useful status amex gives. AFAIK u can only do it for yourself (like comp upgrades on flights). In general the Citi leisure Avis code is great (25-40/day).

I ran a search for your dates - full size cars are going for 130-140 at Fox/Dollar/Thrifty. Might be easier. (I searched with autoslash.com).
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:39:26 PM »
The status applies also when you use the amex corp code, & probably the other codes too.

Hmm... can you explain? Not sure I get what you're saying.

The status you get with National is the only useful status amex gives.

So Avis and Hertz are no good?

AFAIK u can only do it for yourself (like comp upgrades on flights). In general the Citi leisure Avis code is great (25-40/day).

I ran a search for your dates - full size cars are going for 130-140 at Fox/Dollar/Thrifty. Might be easier. (I searched with autoslash.com).

Ill check out the Citi code. Thanks.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Hmm... can you explain? Not sure I get what you're saying.

So Avis and Hertz are no good?

Ill check out the Citi code. Thanks.
You get the upgrade with your status even if you book it with a corporate code. Doesn't make a difference. (a din on the gavra, not the cheftza - hence why you can't do it for someone else)

Amex gives a useless status with Hertz and Avis. With National its something.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
Got it, thanks!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:48 PM »
Got it, thanks!
If you use a corp. code, please report back to the threads so we can figure out which of them work.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
National Sounds like a good idea...

Try these Corps - they give pretty good rates

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 11:20:44 PM »
National Sounds like a good idea...

Try these Corps - they give pretty good rates

Cheapest those show for my dates are $190 for a midsize. A regular Kayak search shows that I can get a full size for $134 from Dollar...

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 11:22:08 PM »
Dollar Might be cheaper... But with national u'll prob get a nice car

If ur older than 25 you could try priceline... you could get for like $7 a day

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
Dollar Might be cheaper... But with national u'll prob get a nice car

If ur older than 25 you could try priceline... you could get for like $7 a day

Yea, I'll probably vet Priceline using the (well-known) trick or two.

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:34 PM »
u bet! the other day i "negotiated" the right way and moved my way up from a mid size to a mustang. ;)

i have seen locations that require CC for a bigger or nicer car reservation. usually Local edition

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Hertz Chile with the USAA CDP (77694) says $137 for basic cars, <$300 SUV/convertible. You can become a USAA member by signing up on USAA.com (free).

Offline Cbs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »
Hertz Chile with the USAA CDP (77694) says $137 for basic cars, <$300 SUV/convertible. You can become a USAA member by signing up on USAA.com (free).
r u saying its expensive? what are u comparing it to?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
r u saying its expensive? what are u comparing it to?
Cheap - just like the dollar etc. earlier in this thread. If he wants a nice car the convertible is pretty cheap. Thanks for finding out about SA.