Author Topic: Intel 12th gen laptop processors  (Read 3005 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Intel 12th gen laptop processors
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2022, 03:30:09 AM »
Any insights on Microsoft Surface Pro as a laptop replacement?
I generally don't deal in convertibles. All I know is Lee Grant, the resident PC repair writer for PC Pro magazine, recently wrote a rant about them and how easy they are to break / hard to repair. I mostly deal in conventional laptops. If you want advice for that, let me know.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2022, 05:27:46 AM »
Any insights on Microsoft Surface Pro as a laptop replacement?

Likely better to ask in one of the other threads the OP was linked to, for wider exposure.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 11:20:22 AM »
There was a good deal on the LG Gram with 12 gen i7. But looking at the reviews it seemed to run hot, so I passed.
With the standard time delay, a proper review of the 12th gen Gram (with data directly compared to the 11th gen Gram) is in. I thought I'd share some key graphs for those interested. FYI, and as I said, these data points are almost universal across all 12th gen laptop reviews (I'll note the exceptions).

CPU performance. Note how it fluctuates greatly. Also note that it is overall better than the previous gen. Lastly, there is a "Cool mode" possible to activate, and performance becomes more stable and better. (In pink.) This is actually something most companies provide - but the computer will run loud.

Here the reviewer notes that what is fundamentally the same graphics controller functions better in the 11th gen than in the 12th. Over the years, I have noted that integrated graphics are the most sensitive to bad cooling. The difference between integrated performance in monster tank laptops (think Latitude or Thinkpad T series) is often 50% better than the same processor's graphics in a thin laptop - even a gaming thin laptop like the Zephyrus series.

A note regarding noise. It isn't that much louder, but the 11th gen Gram is also a thin laptop without the greatest cooling... This is the clearest indicator that the 12th gen needs more sophisticated cooling to run.

Runs much hotter. 'Nough said.

Lastly, battery life. A very stark comparison. LG did wonders with the 12th gen processor, but the 11th is apparently much easier to work with.
Note that almost everyone else had a lot more trouble getting decent battery runtimes with the 12th gen processors. This Gram is the exception.

Conclusion is as before.
The Gram is an excellent computer with 11th gen. Facts as they are, 12th gen doesn't make for a convincing buy.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 11:15:35 PM »
Thanks @Mavinyavin

Why does the chart show the 11th gen i7 LG Gram  performing worse than other 11th gen i5s?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 05:35:10 AM »
Thanks @Mavinyavin

Why does the chart show the 11th gen i7 LG Gram  performing worse than other 11th gen i5s?
That's easy. The 11th gen i5 and i7 are almost identical (min and max clock speeds are higher by the latter, but those are largely theoretical numbers). Thus, better cooling will always matter more. It doesn't surprise me that a thinner and lighter laptop suffers from worse cooling - the only thing that should matter is whether, after all of that, it performs adequately. And it does.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
Re: Intel 12th AND 13th gen laptop processors
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2023, 05:00:32 AM »
Intel strikes again. Consider this, if you will: I am typing this on a Galaxy Book Pro 2 with an 11th gen Intel processor. I've been working for just under two hours and used around 20% of my battery, but now I am finished downloading for the morning and my computer is estimating 12 hours left.

Here's the intro for the Galaxy Book Pro 3 review with 13th gen processors.

To be fair, they did up the display, which always takes a toll on battery life. But the Zenbook on this list has the same intense resolution (and a 12th gen Intel). Still, the latter is only 14". This is BAAD, especially for the price they want:

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2023, 05:48:10 AM »
Intel strikes again. Consider this, if you will: I am typing this on a Galaxy Book Pro 2 with an 11th gen Intel processor. I've been working for just under two hours and used around 20% of my battery, but now I am finished downloading for the morning and my computer is estimating 12 hours left.

Here's the intro for the Galaxy Book Pro 3 review with 13th gen processors.

To be fair, they did up the display, which always takes a toll on battery life. But the Zenbook on this list has the same intense resolution (and a 12th gen Intel). Still, the latter is only 14". This is BAAD, especially for the price they want:

Didn't read the specs or review, but, in general, high res and bright display is a huge part of the total power draw of a device. Make sure to compare apples to apples.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2023, 07:54:39 AM »
Didn't read the specs or review, but, in general, high res and bright display is a huge part of the total power draw of a device. Make sure to compare apples to apples.
The 14" being compared has the same type of screen, though smaller. Screen size shouldn't matter this radically.

Also, that is way too much money for a computer with battery that short. In truth, this is my main gripe: price to battery ratio. ASUS already put out laptops (even cheaper than the Zenbook) with stunning screens and no battery life in the $500-$600 range. If some company wants you to spend more, you should be getting a decent amount, at least. (Intel's Evo standard requires 9 hours of video playback for a reason.)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2023, 09:56:50 AM »
The 14" being compared has the same type of screen, though smaller. Screen size shouldn't matter this radically.

Also, that is way too much money for a computer with battery that short. In truth, this is my main gripe: price to battery ratio. ASUS already put out laptops (even cheaper than the Zenbook) with stunning screens and no battery life in the $500-$600 range. If some company wants you to spend more, you should be getting a decent amount, at least. (Intel's Evo standard requires 9 hours of video playback for a reason.)
Battery size?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2023, 10:04:27 AM »
Battery size?
Zenbook: 75Whrs. Galaxy: 76Whrs.