Author Topic: any deals on electric scooters?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline bentch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
any deals on electric scooters?
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »
any deals or sites to go to try and find a good deal on electric scooters

Offline stevenk

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: any deals on electric scooters?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:34:15 AM »
Ebay.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »
Steve, those are gas scooters. I personally drive and prefer the 150cc Eagles from gsmotorworks.com, great products and they stand behind their support (I call and they remember my name and send me replacement parts whenever I need ASAP). Terrible website though, but ask the guys over at the scootdawg forum (scootdawg.proboards59.com)... gsmotorworks is the way to go as far as an inexpensive product that is well supported.

Meanwhile, for electric, I have to agree with Charles... there's a brand called Xtreme (or something like that) being liquidated on ebay currently, and the folks I know who have them love them (someone even bought a second one).
They're governed to top out at 15mph to keep it under state requirements for motor vehicles, however a quick google search will show you how to remove the governer, giving you a top speed of ~ 25mph (about the same as a low end 50cc gas moped).

Personally, I find it safer to be able to keep up with traffic on the road. I've been driving scooters for a few years now (they're so much lighter and more fun than motorcycles on short commutes- to shul and back, etc), and I have to say I felt less safe on the slow 50cc scooters than my current 150cc that can hit 60mph. The reason? On a slow bike you will always have a line of cars behind you that want to go faster. At the first chance they get, they will try to swerve around you- on narrow streets with cars parked along the side, or small winding back roads, this could create a hazardous situation in which you end up dangerously close to side-swiping a car.
When you can keep up with traffic (the 150cc can easily cruise at 45mph, and can hit 60+ on a straightaway), you're respected like another vehicle on the road. I think this is much safer (not to mention WAY more fun!).

But- yes, then you have to get a motorcycle endorsement on your license (or at least a permit), and what not... and there's the whole "environmentally friendly" thing the electric has going along with it... but I would go with a gas scooter. Its worth it, and they're inexpensive to own. I own two of them, my most recent one was $999 brand new, shipping included from gsmotorworks, and it gets me about 80mph or so.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:20:46 PM »
and it gets me about 80mph or so.

You mean 80mpg, right?