Author Topic: CGR Trip Reports  (Read 13473 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Atlanta, GA Weekend Trip
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 01:58:05 PM »
I’m not sure that this trip deserves a full-blown trip report, but I figured I’ll outline some of the basics for those looking to travel to Atlanta and its environs.
My parents and younger siblings road-tripped down to ATL earlier in the week, and the adults flew down in small groups to join in for the weekend. My group flew LGA to ATL roundtrip with Delta, Thursday through Sunday. I booked the flight on Monday- at that point there were no good point redemptions to be had, so I paid cash.
Upon arriving at ATL we decided to rent a car- while the airport is beautiful and efficient, the car rental counters were a disaster, with lines all the way to the door. We opted to go with National (Chase Sapphire and Amex Platinum perks) but were unable to get our promo codes to properly apply- the guy at the counter was not helpful at all- he told us that they were out of cars (which wasn’t true), and he couldn’t help us with our promotion issues. We finalized the booking online (sans promo), and headed to the lot. Here we once again ran into issues- the first attendant said that because of our status we could go with any vehicle in the lot- we chose one, when a second attendant ran over and said that we could only choose from vehicles parked vertically, and anything parked horizontally was not for us. This went on for a good few minutes until a manager came by to confirm what the second attendant said. I left them a less-than-stellar Google review for this and have since received a free rental car day credit for my troubles (I’m a Google Local Guide with a decent amount of points).
We stayed at a VRBO property (https://www.vrbo.com/9371142ha) the house has great grounds and a nice-size pool and is gated, which served as an eiruv. We had our own minyan and Sefer Torah, so we did not do much research into Jewish Atlanta other than some restaurants.

Food:
•   Fuego Mundo- 5/5
Food is absolutely delicious, but what really closed the deal was the pricing- in NY a meal such as this would have cost us at least 2X.
•   Formaggio Mio- 3/5
This place has great ratings on Google, but I was less than impressed. Half the items on the menu were unavailable, the place wasn’t clean, and the service was meh. The pizza was good though.

Activities:
•   Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park- 3/5
If you’re in the area and have some time to kill, it’s not the worst choice for $5. Has a mini-museum and nice grounds. There’s also a nice lookout.
•   World of Coca Cola- 3/5
More of a marketing history museum than anything else (some in my family are in marketing, and they loved it). They have limited flavors to taste due to covid, and after standing in line for a good few minutes an employee came over to tell us that none of the flavors availble are kosher, so we promptly left.
•   Get Your Guide Walking Tour- 4/5
This an audio walking tour for $8. They do a pretty good job of covering the basics in an interesting way.

We had originally intended on doing the Aquarium, but by the time we finished at Coca Cola we were unable to get tickets until later in the day, at which point we had to be at the airport for our flight home. That was my only regret on this trip, and a minor one at that since I’ll be passing through ATL at one time or another in the future.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:30:08 AM by AsherO »

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: CGR Trip Reports
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 05:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the TR's. Sorry to hear about Coke. We almost went there last week and would have had some extremely disappointed kids if we discovered that no kosher flavors are available. Tasting and mixing various flavors was a highlight of their visit 3 years ago.

BTW, your VRBO link doesn't work.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »
Thanks for the TR's. Sorry to hear about Coke. We almost went there last week and would have had some extremely disappointed kids if we discovered that no kosher flavors are available. Tasting and mixing various flavors was a highlight of their visit 3 years ago.

BTW, your VRBO link doesn't work.
I'm not sure how often they rotate flavors- might be that some days are luckier than others.

Thanks for pointing out the link issue- for some reason it's adding on the ")-" after it (I'm unable to modify at this point). The correct link is https://www.vrbo.com/9371142ha

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 12:31:27 AM »
Thanks for pointing out the link issue- for some reason it's adding on the ")-" after it (I'm unable to modify at this point). The correct link is https://www.vrbo.com/9371142ha

Fixed the url n the first post using the [url] tag.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael