Author Topic: Checking Bags if you don't want to take the last leg of your itinerary?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I have a flight from
jfk>tlv
tlv>jfk
Jfk>toronto

But I don't want to take the jfk>toronto flight.

If I check bags will they automatically be checked to toronto?
Or should I just stick with carry ons? (only going for a few days)

TIA
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Checking Bags if you don't want to take the last leg of your itinerary?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:32:55 PM »
In the US you must take your bags through customs at the first port of entry. They might tell you they're checking the bag to YYZ, but you will still get it in JFK to walk through customs. Simply continue walking out.
I wonder what happens if the luggage is delayed. Anyone?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:19:00 AM »
In the US you must take your bags through customs at the first port of entry. They might tell you they're checking the bag to YYZ, but you will still get it in JFK to walk through customs. Simply continue walking out.

+1
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »
As far as I remember, only in the usa do they give you headaches when you want check-in the luggage for only part of the journey.

I just say to them that I have something I'm handing over to a person visiting me in airport X. And I'm checkin-in the rest at X again.

Or you make your stop over 12 hours, so most airports spit out the luggage at the stopover.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:51:53 AM »
+1
I noticed you didn't quote my question. What do you think will happen if the luggage is missing & u fill a claim in JFK?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
I noticed you didn't quote my question. What do you think will happen if the luggage is missing & u fill a claim in JFK?

Didn't quote it cuz me don't know the answer :)

Seems like a potentially sticky situation.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »
Last year i flew form TLV - PHL - EWR

I wanted to get off in PHL ... In the airport in TLV the guy told me that US law was that since you gotta go thru customs in the USA ... and customs is always the first destination (PHL) My bags will come out and I will have to take them thru customs...

Thats waht happened!  :) I just took my bags and left.

Regarding a lost or delayed bag - Since you need to pick up your bags and go thru customs... you gotta re-check them in, so if they are delayed or lost it would be that airport where you prob will deal with it

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
Regarding a lost or delayed bag - Since you need to pick up your bags and go thru customs... you gotta re-check them in, so if they are delayed or lost it would be that airport where you prob will deal with it
say they tell u the bags are on the worng flight, but will be there when u get to EWR? Or you're throwaway leg is far away... Like if you're desitnation is LAX & u tell them u need luggage delivered in YYZ? I guess its not much of an issue - just claim you're flying back on a dif airline and can't wait for the luggage... Just wondering if someone had experience with it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
I guess its not much of an issue - just claim you're flying back on a dif airline and can't wait for the luggage
+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
say they tell u the bags are on the worng flight, but will be there when u get to EWR? Or you're throwaway leg is far away... Like if you're desitnation is LAX & u tell them u need luggage delivered in YYZ? I guess its not much of an issue - just claim you're flying back on a dif airline and can't wait for the luggage... Just wondering if someone had experience with it?
Is that always the case?...do they ever not put you through customs (esp since My last leg is Canada) I am nervous they will just check it through to Canada
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »
Is that always the case?...do they ever not put you through customs (esp since My last leg is Canada) I am nervous they will just check it through to Canada
yes. Don't worry

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »
Should be obvious, but leave plenty of time if you are doing this so your bags make it onto your plane with ease.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
Should be obvious, but leave plenty of time if you are doing this so your bags make it onto your plane with ease.
try confirming with the gate agent that the luggage is onboard.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
try confirming with the gate agent that the luggage is onboard.
Very rarely will they ever confirm that for you.  Only happened for me on LX and CX.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »
Very rarely will they ever confirm that for you.  Only happened for me on LX and CX.
I think they're all capable of it, just a matter of goodwill. Never hurts to try.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
As far as I remember, only in the usa do they give you headaches when you want check-in the luggage for only part of the journey.

I just say to them that I have something I'm handing over to a person visiting me in airport X. And I'm checkin-in the rest at X again.

Or you make your stop over 12 hours, so most airports spit out the luggage at the stopover.
per this FT thread, its agains EU law to cancel itineraries if I don't show up. But they still say they will.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/49922-throw-away-ticketing-skipping-legs-definitive-thread-8.html