Author Topic: Westin Hilton Head and a few hours in Savanna  (Read 2414 times)

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
Westin Hilton Head and a few hours in Savanna
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
Last week I took a small trip with the family to Hilton head, South Carolina. 

We have not taken what I consider to be a "real" vacation in about a year and a half.  Sure, I have been to Miami 3 times within the year and a half, but I haven't booked a trip searching award space on flights plus hotels in a year and a half when DW and I went to Palm Springs (though all Miami flights were booked via AA points).  The reason we have not taken a real trip in this time is because BH last year our family grew by 1 and DW was too nervous to go anywhere that wasn't MIA where we have a relatives apartment we can stay in, not have to worry about packing food, etc.

So why did I  choose Hilton Head?  I promised DW we wouldn't go anywhere far or outrageous.  I was set on going to San Antonio; they have a nice Hyatt over there, a decent amount of activities... Many people were telling me that Hilton Head is fantastic.  One friend even stayed by the Westin a number of times over the last few years and said its amazing.  So, I looked into it.  There were plenty of nights available via Marriott Bonvoy, there were plenty of seats available on B6 on the dates I was looking into for about 8600 points a seat, so I went for it.

More to come, decided to write a little bit to give myself an incentive to actually write this TR.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
Re: Westin Hilton Head and a few hours in Savanna
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:31:19 PM »
Flights booked via B6 true blue points.

Hotel.  Dan posted opening a Bonvoy with 70000 bonus points-opened it and used that plus older points to book the hotel.

Rental car-Chabad discount codes and priced them all out-Dollar was the cheapest.

Food-Packed a decent amount of food.  Stopped by Wal Mart after our flight to pick up essentials.  For dinner we looked into Murray Gottlieb from Savannah, but it didn't work out.  Ended up ordering from the new Chabad of Hilton Head every night and the food was amazing.

Day 1-Flight, kids were both wild for some reason, but at least DW and I didn't have to hold DB2 which was nice.  Other than that, flight was uneventful except for DB1 metal water canteen exploding while in the air and the water got everywhere; made some enemies in the air  ;)

Sav airport was very nice with an old southern charm though pretty small.  After getting our luggage, we went to the rental car center.  Employee there wasn't really on her game.  I booked a standard size SUV, and the one they had for us was the smallest JEEP SUV which I told them would not do, so they upgraded me to a minivan.  1st time renting a car seat which they were very disorganized about and gave us a cheap very used cosco.

From the airport we drove straight to one of the many Wal MArts in HH and picked up some essentials-peanut butter, tuna, utensils, cereal, milk, snacks, etc.  When we arrived at the hotel, the rebbetzin from Chabad was waiting for us with our food.  The pictures of the hotel online do not do it justice.  No, it does not have the grand lobby feel of the GHK (i compare all hotel lobbies to GHK now) but it was still very nice.  Our room which was a suite, was much bigger than the pictures made it out to be which was a pleasant surprise considering there are no doors between the bedroom and the living room.  The bathroom of course was stunning.  Our porch was huge.  We had a view of all the pools, in fact, we were just steps away from 2 of the pools. (they offered to upgrade my room to the same suite, but with a view of trees instead of pool view.  If you have a problem with your shmiras einayim, take the upgrade.  I know my kids loved watching the pool deck).  We then ate our terrific Chabad food and called it a night.

Day 2-Pool and beach day.  The pool deck is incredible with a very nice atmosphere.  The beach was very nice.  Ocean water was warm, and there is plenty of space on the beach to hang out with your family without being bothered by strangers.  Dinner from Chabad again was amazing.

Day 3-In the morning we went on a boat tour to see dolphins and fake mermaids; kids activity.  We went back to the hotel and DW and I switched off going to the spa while the other stayed with the kids by the pool.  DW got a mani pedi, maybe something else too.  I got a massage, probably 2nd or 3rd best massage I have ever gotten.  Dinner from Chabad again was terrific.  Thank you Chabad of Hilton Head.

Day 4-plan was to go to the children's museum of Sav.  Checked the site in the morning and it said closed on certain days during the school year.  Drove about an hour to the museum and we were told...closed, school is in session.  I forgot we weren't in NY anymore.  We ended up doing our own little walking tour of the city.  The city is very nice.  We then drove to the Kosher ice cream shop which was...good.  Then we headed to the airport and our flight was delayed.  Many flights were cancelled, so we were a bit nervous.  Luckily we took off about 2 hours late.

That's basically our nice short trip.  Hopefully I will post pictures shortly.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 01:28:37 PM »
How far is chabad by foot?
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
6 h 29 min (19.8 mi) via William Hilton Pkwy and Bluffton Parkway