Author Topic: Yeshiva Education Models?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Yeshiva Education Models?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »
Don't think all of these teach even basic math/English.
Most do

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »
Darchei is the old YTV basically. Most yeshivas in NY will not allow college period. The days of Touro Flatbush Night where you went to yeshiva all day and had the same classmates at night in college are over. Machon L'parnasah is where thats at today.

Ohr Yitzchok (Rabbis Pinchas and Shmuel Wallerstein's yeshiva) is the only one that has a program for college guys where they're in college by day and learn at night.

Lander's today is a top yeshivish yeshiva. Obviously with the college component.

Wow.

I went to college full time after a couple of years in E"Y. Most of my friends in the Yeshivish world did Touro or Brooklyn at Night a few went the BTL route and on to law school. IIRC Ner Yisroel had a similar arrangement with Towson and/or UMBC.

I didn't realize that it was fully assur to do that now. What does Machon L'Parnassah teach?

... and we've been talking a lot about the boys, how do Bais Yaakovs line up? (For the bottom three options, Boys and girls get equivalent education - with the only exception that more right-leaning Day Schools most likely do not teach Gemara to Girls).

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 04:47:20 PM »
Seems like there's a little bit of confusion here. K-12 is a separate discussion from post-HS (BM). Discussion of which schools 'allow' college is only actually relevant to BM. In a place that has both HS and BM, just because the BM does not allow college doesn't mean the HS doesn't prepare students from college, and it doesn't mean that a decent percentage of the HS students won't go on to go to college while learning in other BM's.

Lander's today is a top yeshivish yeshiva. Obviously with the college component. 
Lander's is not a yeshivish yeshiva. As noted earlier, it's basically like the more right wing portion of YU. Ohr Hachai (Rabbi Lander's yeshiva) would be closer to that description, but even that's not what most would consider a yeshivish yeshiva.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 05:04:58 PM »
Landers is right of YU right. It's as close to what YTV used to be. Its not Chaim Berlin or Torah Temima yeshivish.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 05:46:06 PM »
Landers is right of YU right. It's as close to what YTV used to be. Its not Chaim Berlin or Torah Temima yeshivish.

what period of if YTV are you referring to the 1970's?

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »
Seems like there's a little bit of confusion here. K-12 is a separate discussion from post-HS (BM). Discussion of which schools 'allow' college is only actually relevant to BM. In a place that has both HS and BM, just because the BM does not allow college doesn't mean the HS doesn't prepare students from college, and it doesn't mean that a decent percentage of the HS students won't go on to go to college while learning in other BM's.
Lander's is not a yeshivish yeshiva. As noted earlier, it's basically like the more right wing portion of YU. Ohr Hachai (Rabbi Lander's yeshiva) would be closer to that description, but even that's not what most would consider a yeshivish yeshiva.

With you there. When I included my original definition of Yeshivish, I was including those yeshivos in NY that also have their students take regents (and don't hand them the answers :) )

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »

While I have admittedly left the Yeshivish world, as someone in their 40's, I honestly didn't think that my TV, TT and CB friends were really that much different hashkafically.

In my mind, Landers is the compromise for MO kids that flipped out in Israel, wanted to go to Yeshiva full time but their parents want them to go to college.

Online grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »

In my mind, Landers is the compromise for MO kids that flipped out in Israel, wanted to go to Yeshiva full time but their parents want them to go to college.

Or just plain Harries.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
In my Chassidish area EVERYBODY is following DansDeals, so that certainly means they got the English "and the math" right!!..

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
In my Chassidish area EVERYBODY is following DansDeals, so that certainly means they got the English "and the math" right!!..
Bad example as many don't grasp the math of CB over points/miles.  :)
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 10:39:37 PM »

Who made you think that?

Bobov satmar etc all do

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 10:50:47 PM »
Bad example as many don't grasp the math of CB over points/miles.  :)

Did you start with CB or miles? I started with miles and switched heavily to CB

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 12:07:45 AM »
Don't need to learn that from school. Certainly many have street smarts.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 12:08:19 AM »
Who made you think that?

Bobov satmar etc all do
I said I don't think that all do.
What does OT teach @ExGingi?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 12:25:09 AM »
I said I don't think that all do.
What does OT teach @ExGingi?
My kids don't go to OT, but I believe OT (and OM, and now also OYY) are unique in not teaching ANY English EVER. I believe they do teach some Yiddish and לשון הקודש "grammar" (probably more like basic language rules). I just came back from an open house with the teachers of my 6th grade son at OM. The afternoon teacher said that he's planning to teach what he called כתיבה and explained to be somewhat like Yiddish grammar.

My SIL created a "math" curriculum called הייליקע נומערן which teaches Torah arithmetic. For a while I think OT were buying her books, but I think that at a certain point they wanted her to modify it further based on their guidance, and after she put time and effort into that, I think they dropped it altogether.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:31:00 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan