Author Topic: Yeshiva Education Models?  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Yeshiva Education Models?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »
Seems like there's a little bit of confusion here. K-12 is a separate discussion from post-HS (BM). Discussion of which schools 'allow' college is only actually relevant to BM. In a place that has both HS and BM, just because the BM does not allow college doesn't mean the HS doesn't prepare students from college, and it doesn't mean that a decent percentage of the HS students won't go on to go to college while learning in other BM's.
Lander's is not a yeshivish yeshiva. As noted earlier, it's basically like the more right wing portion of YU. Ohr Hachai (Rabbi Lander's yeshiva) would be closer to that description, but even that's not what most would consider a yeshivish yeshiva.

With you there. When I included my original definition of Yeshivish, I was including those yeshivos in NY that also have their students take regents (and don't hand them the answers :) )

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »
Landers is right of YU right. It's as close to what YTV used to be. Its not Chaim Berlin or Torah Temima yeshivish.

While I have admittedly left the Yeshivish world, as someone in their 40's, I honestly didn't think that my TV, TT and CB friends were really that much different hashkafically.

In my mind, Landers is the compromise for MO kids that flipped out in Israel, wanted to go to Yeshiva full time but their parents want them to go to college.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »

In my mind, Landers is the compromise for MO kids that flipped out in Israel, wanted to go to Yeshiva full time but their parents want them to go to college.

Or just plain Harries.
I'm not who you think I am.

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
Don't think all of these teach even basic math/English.
In my Chassidish area EVERYBODY is following DansDeals, so that certainly means they got the English "and the math" right!!..

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 09:00:26 PM »
In my Chassidish area EVERYBODY is following DansDeals, so that certainly means they got the English "and the math" right!!..
Bad example as many don't grasp the math of CB over points/miles.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 10:39:37 PM »
Don't think all of these teach even basic math/English.

Who made you think that?

Bobov satmar etc all do

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 10:50:47 PM »
Bad example as many don't grasp the math of CB over points/miles.  :)

Did you start with CB or miles? I started with miles and switched heavily to CB

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 12:07:45 AM »
Don't need to learn that from school. Certainly many have street smarts.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 12:08:19 AM »
Who made you think that?

Bobov satmar etc all do
I said I don't think that all do.
What does OT teach @ExGingi?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 12:25:09 AM »
I said I don't think that all do.
What does OT teach @ExGingi?
My kids don't go to OT, but I believe OT (and OM, and now also OYY) are unique in not teaching ANY English EVER. I believe they do teach some Yiddish and לשון הקודש "grammar" (probably more like basic language rules). I just came back from an open house with the teachers of my 6th grade son at OM. The afternoon teacher said that he's planning to teach what he called כתיבה and explained to be somewhat like Yiddish grammar.

My SIL created a "math" curriculum called הייליקע נומערן which teaches Torah arithmetic. For a while I think OT were buying her books, but I think that at a certain point they wanted her to modify it further based on their guidance, and after she put time and effort into that, I think they dropped it altogether.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:31:00 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2019, 01:03:40 AM »
My kids don't go to OT, but I believe OT (and OM, and now also OYY) are unique in not teaching ANY English EVER. I believe they do teach some Yiddish and לשון הקודש "grammar" (probably more like basic language rules). I just came back from an open house with the teachers of my 6th grade son at OM. The afternoon teacher said that he's planning to teach what he called כתיבה and explained to be somewhat like Yiddish grammar.

My SIL created a "math" curriculum called הייליקע נומערן which teaches Torah arithmetic. For a while I think OT were buying her books, but I think that at a certain point they wanted her to modify it further based on their guidance, and after she put time and effort into that, I think they dropped it altogether.
Can you elaborate please? I didn't know that there are still such conservative fractions within Lubavitch, as in focusing that much in maintaining Yiddish and it's grammar, also in regards of learning no English at all. Is this the mainstream Talmid Torah in CH you're talking about? (I actually don't know Lubavitch too well)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2019, 01:19:05 AM »
Can you elaborate please? I didn't know that there are still such conservative fractions within Lubavitch, as in focusing that much in maintaining Yiddish and it's grammar, also in regards of learning no English at all. Is this the mainstream Talmid Torah in CH you're talking about? (I actually don't know Lubavitch too well)
In Lubavitch לימוד על טהרת הקודש is an important value. Some consider Yiddish important. It's somewhat of a dichotomy, on the one hand being the language of רבותינו נשיאינו and specifically of the Rebbe, while on the other hand it's definitely not the primary language of most, and the Rebbe clearly holds that Jewish studies should be taught in a language the kids understand.

If you want to read about the שיטה you can see http://www.chinuchtime.com/articles/Taharas-Hakodesh.zip you might also browse around his website for more.

Oholei Torah is the largest boys school in Crown Heights, and is considered mainstream.

ULY is the second mainstream school. I believe they have abandoned Yiddish a few years ago (as in no longer doing Chumash with טייטש, but rather learning and translating in English), but I also believe English curriculum is optional there.

Ohr Menachem and more recently Ohel Yosef Yitzchok are more "fringe" and extreme in טהרת הקודש and emphasis on Yiddish. I believe Cheder at the Ohel is also על טהרת הקודש, I'm not sure how much Yiddish is emphasized there.

On the other end of the spectrum is Lamplighters which IINM try to be a Montessori type Jewish School. It's definitely not mainstream, though I've heard of some "mainstream" families that might send kids who don't fit well into mainstream schools there.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:17:51 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 01:48:16 AM »
In Lubavitch לימוד על טהרת הקודש is an important value. Some consider Yiddish important. It's somewhat of a dichotomy, on the one hand being the language of רבותינו נשיאינו and specifically of the Rebbe, while on the other hand it's definitely not the primary language of most, and the Rebbe clearly holds that Jewish studies should be taught in a language the kids understand.

If you want to read about the שיטה you can see http://www.chinuchtime.com/articles/Taharas-Hakodesh.zip you might also browse around his website for more.

Oholei Torah is the largest boys school in Crown Heights, and is considered mainstream. ULY is the second mainstream school. I believe they have abandoned Yiddish a few years ago, but I also believe English curriculum is optional there.

Ohr Menachem and more recently Ohel Yosef Yitzchok are more "fringe" and extreme in טהרת הקודש and emphasis on Yiddish. I believe Cheder at the Ohel is also על טהרת הקודש, I'm not sure how much Yiddish is emphasized there.

On the other end of the spectrum is Lamplighters which IINM try to be a Montessori type Jewish School. It's definitely not mainstream, though I've heard of some "mainstream" families that might send kids who don't fit well into mainstream schools there.
Thanks. Was very interesting to hear.
But this,
on the one hand being the language of רבותינו נשיאינו and specifically of the Rebbe,
Brings me to ask how did this happen,
while on the other hand it's definitely not the primary language of most,
I just have a great interest on how and on what level is Yiddish being utilized within all fractions of the frum Jews, as well of the future of it, (maybe a new thread worthy??) But as far as Lubavitch is concerned, I've always wondered, since Yiddish was the Rabbe's spoken language, and all the people's native language, how did English become the first language for most Lubavitchers, unlike the rest of all Cahssidish circles?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 02:06:57 AM »
But as far as Lubavitch is concerned, I've always wondered, since Yiddish was the Rabbe's spoken language, and all the people's native language, how did English become the first language for most Lubavitchers, unlike the rest of all Cahssidish circles?

My short answer is that I don't know. I didn't grow up here until my teens (and only then did I actually acquire my Yiddish). When I was in Morristown in the 80s all shiurim were in Yiddish, though chavrusos were all learning in English (or Hebrew if they both happened to be Israeli) as were most one-on-one conversations with staff. I don't know exactly when the transition occurred, but I don't believe Morristown has shiurim in Yiddish nowadays.

Anecdotally, my two oldest kids started off speaking Yiddish at home. By the time my third was speaking, English became more common in our house, as that was the language the older kids spoke with friends and at preschool. My oldest son (second child) speaks to me in Yiddish. The rest use English.

That being said, IME Williamsburg flavor Yiddish is heavily adulterated. And my impression with every visit of mine to KJ is that English is slowly setting roots there too. Just look at the local advertising magazines. How many ads are in Yiddish vs English. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:13:19 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 08:35:31 AM »
what period of if YTV are you referring to the 1970's?
late 80's early 90's
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:36 AM »
While I have admittedly left the Yeshivish world, as someone in their 40's, I honestly didn't think that my TV, TT and CB friends were really that much different hashkafically.

Sounds like we traveled in the same circles. Same age and time frame.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »

Or just plain Harries.

Help me out, what is a "Harry"?

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »
Help me out, what is a "Harry"?
Anyone from Baltimore, Passiac etc
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2019, 08:43:38 AM »
Sounds like we traveled in the same circles. Same age and time frame.

AFAIK, I was the only Yonah who was in my grade (and probably the next two down) at TV before I was, uh, asked to leave by a certain principal. AFAIK, he's no longer there, but I still joke that there is a plaque on the bench outside his office reserving my seat.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
Having gone to a Chabad Yeshiva for a while, and despite my meh Yiddish skills I can definitely appreciate some of the nuance that you find in the original Yiddish that some sichos lose in translation.

On your second point, if the Rebbe didn't believe in making Torah accessible, KEHOT and others wouldn't be publishing in all of those languages.

But to that point - a lot of my friends who are shluchim and/or grew up as the children of shluchim are exceedingly articulate and well read. Where/how does that happen? Is that exclusively the bastion of Bnei shluchim? (i.e. my parents run a university chabad house and I likely didn't go to OT for elementary school)?

I'm curious what does it cover? Gematria? Accounting for the missing numbers in biblical genealogy?

When I learned the first Perek of Baba Basra - it touched on construction and engineering (albeit biblically) does it include that? Sukkah as a geometry lesson? Units of Measure (i.e. How long do we believe a tefach and amah should be?).

I would love to do a course on biblical engineering!