Topic Wiki

Jerusalem Pizza - Free delivery with $30 minimum order ~ https://www.jerusalemrestaurantmenu.com/ ~ (908) 289-0291.
New Kosher Special - Free delivery with $40 minimum order ~ http://www.newkosherspecial.com/ ~ (908) 353-1818.
« Last edited by aygart on February 15, 2024, 06:16:25 PM »

Author Topic: Kosher food at newark airport  (Read 71193 times)

Offline mlardi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher food at newark airport
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2023, 12:40:54 PM »

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2023, 01:10:39 PM »
Playa bowls in Nanuet mall has a hechsher
how does he deal with the berries at all these locations? Are they excluded from certification?

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2023, 01:18:55 PM »
how does he deal with the berries at all these locations? Are they excluded from certification?
Strawberries yes,

Q.  I have a question regarding the certification you give for PLAYA BOWLS.  A friend of mine told me that the certification doesn’t cover fresh strawberries. Can you please clarify if the whole store is under your supervision or it goes by product? What are your standards for checking for worms?

A. Correct, the fresh strawberries are not under supervision as it states clearly on the certificate

This issue is spider mites not worms
There are no issues with the frozen strawberries
Fresh strawberries are washed but not k’halacha – the teudah warns the customer not to order that fruit topping.
Blueberries and all other products are fine
All other leafy vegetables are ground up in smoothies and pose no problem l’halacha
Q. Regarding not ordering strawberries at Playa bowl, how does this affect the rest of the preparation surfaces ? I assume they are serving strawberries to other people and I assume using the same equipment.
A. The fresh strawberries are prepared in bulk at one time in the AM in the back of the store/kitchen area. All surface areas and knives are thoroughly cleaned afterwards so there is an extremely remote possibility a bug was transferred from one fruit to the next.

https://nationalkoshersupervision.com/faq-playa-bowls/
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2023, 01:35:02 PM »
Strawberries yes,

Q.  I have a question regarding the certification you give for PLAYA BOWLS.  A friend of mine told me that the certification doesn’t cover fresh strawberries. Can you please clarify if the whole store is under your supervision or it goes by product? What are your standards for checking for worms?

A. Correct, the fresh strawberries are not under supervision as it states clearly on the certificate

Fresh strawberries are washed but not k’halacha – the teudah warns the customer not to order that fruit topping.
All other leafy vegetables are ground up in smoothies and pose no problem l’halacha
Q. Regarding not ordering strawberries at Playa bowl, how does this affect the rest of the preparation surfaces ? I assume they are serving strawberries to other people and I assume using the same equipment.
A. The fresh strawberries are prepared in bulk at one time in the AM in the back of the store/kitchen area. All surface areas and knives are thoroughly cleaned afterwards so there is an extremely remote possibility a bug was transferred from one fruit to the next.

they seem to use a lot of goji berries as well

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »
Not to be a rav, but a bug if full (beriah) is not batul even under extreme unlikelihood so if they are using the same utensils without someone being there to look and inspect, would probably not be the best situation.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #225 on: July 03, 2023, 02:43:13 PM »
Not to be a rav, but a bug if full (beriah) is not batul even under extreme unlikelihood so if they are using the same utensils without someone being there to look and inspect, would probably not be the best situation.
How do you have a beriah absorbed into utensils?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2023, 02:57:59 PM »
not supporting this establishment and not recommending the hashgacha but that statement is not entirely correct. See the aruch hashulchans limud zchus

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2023, 10:49:30 PM »
Strawberries yes,

Wow, how irresponsible.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2023, 12:20:08 PM »
אין מבטלין איסור לכתחילה

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2023, 12:48:10 PM »
אין מבטלין איסור לכתחילה
chochmas Odom is meikkel even for muchzak
Ein daito lvatlo, ee efsher bderech acher but it's basically a shitas yochid. Most poskim are machmir by muchzak. Meikkel by miut hamatzui

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2023, 01:22:34 PM »
chochmas Odom is meikkel even for muchzak
Ein daito lvatlo, ee efsher bderech acher but it's basically a shitas yochid.
Don’t see how leafy vegetables qualify for ee efsher binyan acher. They can be washed/checked usually.
but it's basically a shitas yochid. Most poskim are machmir by muchzak. Meikkel by miut hamatzui
Yes. And it’s a shvacha “bittul” too…
Many studies have been done that showed that there were full beryas intact after pureeing.
Also, the poskim who are maikel are talking about things which aren’t possible to clean/check. Not this type of case.

These guys are non Orthodox or just clueless?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2023, 05:04:23 PM »
How do you have a beriah absorbed into utensils?

Not absorbed, remaining on the knife, transferring to another fruit. Not saying its gonna happen, just saying its not batul if it does and since no one is inspecting according to what they wrote, there is a chance

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 04, 2023, 05:06:04 PM »
אין מבטלין איסור לכתחילה

If he’s doing it for other people and not just you its not such an issue, just assuming that most people buying there are not a yid and they don’t make it specifically for you, but I’ve never been there so it could be that they do.