Author Topic: How do get away transferring MR over the phone?  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How do get away transferring MR over the phone?
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
I noticed that recently MR reps are giving a hard time transferring points to someone who is not an additional on the account. seems that they were told to stand up on that, as I saw a huge increase in this.

The best way is to transfer online, where no problems were ever made. but a lot of times thats not an option. For example: 1. when the system is down. 2. when you use points advance. 3. when the person has not setup an online account. 4. after an account being closed.

I gathered a few of the ways out:
1. The easiest way out is to first link the FF account online, and then call up to transfer to the linked account, they cannot see who's account his is. But, this option is not a solution to all of the above.
2. They told me once that they were advised to transfer anywhere in case of an emergency (travel because of a medical situation etc). So that could be the case.
3. Tell them innocently that you want to transfer, and only when they are up to ask: "is the name the same as it appears on the card", you answer: "no, it's not my account"' usually when they are up to there, they'll tell you: "usually we don't do this, but we will as a one tome exception".
4. Find a rep that will do this. call back again and again till you find somebody.

What other methods do you people use?
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: How do get away transferring MR over the phone?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
I noticed that recently MR reps are giving a hard time transferring points to someone who is not an additional on the account. seems that they were told to stand up on that, as I saw a huge increase in this.

Are you referring to transferring MR to an airline partner, or to another MR account?

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
Are you referring to transferring MR to an airline partner, or to another MR account?
Airline partner that is not your FF account.

Offline trying123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
What is a ff account how do I get one and does it have  any fees

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »
I want to transfer MR to a friend, but I closed my Amex card already. Is that a problem, as I still know my MR number?

Online AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
I want to transfer MR to a friend, but I closed my Amex card already. Is that a problem, as I still know my MR number?

If you have no AMEX cards, you've lost your miles.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
If you have no AMEX cards, you've lost your miles.

Clarification - Per my own experience of having to forfeit 12 leftover MR points: If you have no longer have any AMEX cards that are enrolled in the Membership Rewards program, you've lost your points.
i.e. If I have an AMEX SPG and an AMEX Preferred Gold card, and I cancel the Gold card, I lose my MR points even though I still have the AMEX SPG card. 

Online AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
Correct, you need at least one MR-based AMEX card active in order to keep your miles.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
Though in some cases AMEX will allow you to transfer the points to someone else' MR account. Such has been my experience and that of a few others on the forum.

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
Though in some cases AMEX will allow you to transfer the points to someone else' MR account. Such has been my experience and that of a few others on the forum.

I'd imagine this was done prior to the closure of the MR card?

Offline gevaldig

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »

The best way is to transfer online, where no problems were ever made. but a lot of times thats not an option. For example: 1. when the system is down. 2. when you use points advance. 3. when the person has not setup an online account. 4. after an account being closed.

I gathered a few of the ways out:
1. The easiest way out is to first link the FF account online, and then call up to transfer to the linked account, they cannot see who's account his is. But, this option is not a solution to all of the above.
2. They told me once that they were advised to transfer anywhere in case of an emergency (travel because of a medical situation etc). So that could be the case.
3. Tell them innocently that you want to transfer, and only when they are up to ask: "is the name the same as it appears on the card", you answer: "no, it's not my account"' usually when they are up to there, they'll tell you: "usually we don't do this, but we will as a one tome exception".
4. Find a rep that will do this. call back again and again till you find somebody.

What other methods do you people use?
do you want to transfer to another MR account? or link 2 accounts together ?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
I'd imagine this was done prior to the closure of the MR card?

It was done after closure, but within 30 days.

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
Good to know.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »
It was done after closure, but within 30 days.
I did the same.