Author Topic: Honestly, honestly do you feel smartphones have improved your quality of life?  (Read 31515 times)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
when you needed to shlep around a key for your car

I want a Tesla as much as the next guy, but my spine is not exactly being deformed from the car key hanging on my belt :P.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Yeah Self control can be an answer. It is an answer to most of the world's vices. That doesn't mean it is a practical answer.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I struggle with this a lot. As many above have responded, there are pros and cons to everything in the world, but everything has to be used in its proper time.

I can't argue that Smart phones have definitely made improvements to the quality of life - as many have pointed out they're indispensable in many business cases, and enable us to take care of certain things faster and more efficiently. As others have pointed out - where would we be without Waze? Messaging apps? In many ways my phone has replaced many of the things I used to need to carry - keys, credit cards, a camera, all rolled into one. Remember all of those life moments where you wish you had a camera - now you have one in your back pocket! Forgot your wallet at home on a trip to the store - pay by phone.

At the same time, I think that the smartphone has contributed to increased levels of anxiety and exacerbated ADHD in people. It's also exacerbated the availability expectations employers have of employees. All the years I did technical support, I dreaded turning on my Blackberry/Smartphone after shabbos to find urgent e-mails, or worse, hitting refresh waiting for e-mails to arrive. Your boss expecting you to answer e-mails off hours and on weekends. (Yes my bosses are aware I am shomer shabbos, but expect a response sat. night or sunday).

Think about it does to people with ADHD - the constant buzz that pulls you away from whatever task you are doing. The FOMO of missing an important text message, and constantly checking. It all takes a toll on our mental well being.

So I guess what I am saying is it's a mixed bag.

For a lighter side of this argument - I wrote this in 2017, I hope that some of you enjoy it - https://medium.com/@yonahwolf/1994-vs-2009-vs-2017-94ce7a7b6e53

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I want a Tesla as much as the next guy, but my spine is not exactly being deformed from the car key hanging on my belt :P.

As a matter of fact I find a lot not to like about key fobs and how they work with locking the car. I think unlocked cars occur a lot more often due to fobs replacing keys (and inability to activate all door locks while any door is still open).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
As a matter of fact I find a lot not to like about key fobs and how they work with locking the car. I think unlocked cars occur a lot more often due to fobs replacing keys (and inability to activate all door locks while any door is still open).
TM3 locks all doors by default when the phone is 10+ feet away from the car.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
TM3 locks all doors by default when the phone is 10+ feet away from the car.

That's great, I wish other carmakers would implement the same. However at this point, TM3 isn't a minivan, also the economics of it don't necessarily make sense in every situation. So it isn't necessarily a solution to that specific problem.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
That's great, I wish other carmakers would implement the same. However at this point, TM3 isn't a minivan, also the economics of it don't necessarily make sense in every situation. So it isn't necessarily a solution to that specific problem.
TMY will fit 7 pax, though it's no minivan and isn't out yet.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
Other cars have this too.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Other cars have this too.
If it's not a minivan then it doesn't count :)

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
I'm sure one of the minivans have it
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
I'm sure one of the minivans have it

Let me know when a reliable one (such as the Sienna, which has 8 seats) has it.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
TMY will fit 7 pax, though it's no minivan and isn't out yet.

Seven Seat Interior Available in 2021

Though I really wonder how crammed it might be.
-- Dan

Offline Shauly101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
how is TM3 in steering? asking because we are way off topic.....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Incredible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile

Yup. My previous car was an 8 seat Honda Pilot. While I liked certain aspects of it, it was nowhere near as roomy as a minivan and had close to 0 cargo space.
-- Dan

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Incredible.
Very low center of balance will do that.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
I let this simmer for almost 24 hours and so far there are 4 responses:
1) No
2) Yes
3) Yes in moderation
4) No, but I need it for business

To those that said no, kudos and I hope you actively help stem the rising addiction.

To those that said yes, well, your life must've been pretty miserable before. Again, no one will say smartphones are not beneficial but the risks outweigh the rewards. Putting it away during family time is a start, but can you truly say you don't steal minutes here and there even though it's officially outside family time? Those minutes add up, those "Yay dad is home!" "Wait, he's not coming inside" "Oh, he must be on his phone again" leave a lasting mark.

To those that said yes with moderation, see @aygart 's perfect rebuttal here

To those that said I need it for business, did you say that excitedly or dejectedly?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yup. My previous car was an 8 seat Honda Pilot. While I liked certain aspects of it, it was nowhere near as roomy as a minivan and had close to 0 cargo space.
No question. We love our Ody.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
It's the best handling Tesla of the 3 models.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So delete your social media/Whatsapp. That's conflating 2 separate issues.

The issue is a simple one: outcomes. In the end of the day whether it’s due to overuse of social media, mindless scrolling, keeping up with the Joneses, lack of face-to-face socializing, or one of many many other issues associated with smart phones, many, many people are negatively affected. Studies bear this out. It may be their own fault, and there may be effective strategies for individuals to use their smart phones only in positive ways as you say you do, but in the end of the day it’s fair to say that many if not most  people do not have effective tools and are negatively impacted either emotionally, mentally, or in their relationships.

It’s kind of like straight low-calorie dieting: everyone knows that when properly implemented and followed it is the most effective way to lose weight  but it probably has some of the worst outcomes among mainstream diets since most people are not capable of discipline themselves to follow the regimen...