Author Topic: Honestly, honestly do you feel smartphones have improved your quality of life?  (Read 31016 times)

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
I don't want this to turn spiritual or political. I'm not interested in what your rabbi or priest said nor does it matter what the lady on the bus told you and no this is not another thread like this.

I want you to take a moment (or more) and truly look deep down and think if your overall life is better now that smartphones have taken over. I'm focusing on the "smart" part, I don't think anyone would argue that cellphones as they were once known are a problem and, yes, life did improve when mobile phones came to be. (The person that yaps away on their phone while on a crowded bus or in a quiet waiting room is the problem, not the phone)

Smart. The fact that it destroys your dinner table? (I know, I know, you put it on vibrate) The fact that you can text and drive and miraculously come out alive? (I know, I know, your sooo good at it) The fact that you have "whatsapp chats" of every shape and size stealing the last few free minutes that mom and dad have for their kids and/or for each other? (I know, I know, if you don't reply someone else will) The fact that you can sit aimlessly just...scrolling. Simply scrolling. Scrolling up. Scrolling down. Scrolling sideways. Just scrolling... (I know, I know, it's the 2019 version of 'reading the paper') 

Washing machines as we know them enabled one to no longer have to trek down to the river and wash the clothes, life improved tremendously, and an enormous amount of time was now freed up. That was in the early 1900s, today, about 100 years later they haven't changed that much. They might be smaller or have more buttons, but they still just wash whatever you decide to put in them. You still push the button(s) and walk away.

Smartphones came along about 15 years ago and since then they have changed countless times in size, shape, and features.  It still functions as a phone – connecting people from one end of the earth to the other in real time wirelessly – but that is sooo old school. Now this “phone” counts your steps. It deposits your checks. It records... everything. It buys your groceries. It wakes you up. It lets you see grandma on the other coast. It lets you know when grandpa came home. It lets you raise the heating from your car and lets you lower the AC while you wait to deplane. It calls your cab, orders your lunch, tracks your stocks, and tracks your inventory. It watches your front door and locks your back door. It opens the garage and closes your trunk. It pays the babysitter and invoices the client.  It turns your lights on and turns your microwave off. It connects you with your friend from elementary school and ensures you never hear from the weird guy at the bus stop. It directs you around traffic and navigates you through those back alleys. It lets you know who won the game and gets you the best seats to the next one. It is your calculator, your watch, your timer, your camera, your camcorder, your music player, your compass, your dictionary, your thesaurus, your encyclopedia, your map, your scorekeeper, your calendar, and even your money and passport.

BUT, is it your friend? Does the smartphone for all it has to offer give you more ‘time’ or does it just give you more timewasting activities?

You just saved 30 minutes by depositing a check on your phone rather then in the bank and in theory that should give you 30 more minutes to play with your kids, right? To eat a meal at a table rather then an “energy” bar on the go. To spend time with your spouse / mom / dad / a friend in need. Or did it give you time to get 30 more likes on Instagram? Which then led you to boasting about it on facebook, which led you to update your whatsapp status, which led your bff to update their snapchat status while your favorite chef just posted a new recipe which OMG I just have to check, which leads you back to Instagram but your suddenly stopped at the sound of a new email letting you know that your local dept store is giving away free tote bags to the first 500 people so you rush to post that on the neighborhood “free stuff” chat and then you see a whole slew of new messages that came in during the last 2 minutes. It’s a vicious cycle that repeats again, and again, and again. 

Sadly, your spouse / mom / dad / friends/ kids fall farther and farther away. It’s scary to think what the next 15 years or so will bring.

Oh, you’ll tell me it’s so much easier to study now that I have all my notes in my pocket. Or that your exercising so much more now that you can see how many steps you’ve taken. Or that you (and/or your kids) don’t have to wait for the bus in the cold anymore because your bus chat lets you know when the bus started. Or you can now get into a toasty warm car in the winter or a freezing cold one in the summer thanks to your cars app. Or you can have your cake and eat it too just by lifting no more then a few fingers (not hands, not feet, just fingers) thanks to doordash/uber eats/seamless/grub hub.

There’s no denying your life has a lot more conveniences now but that’s just it, it’s a convenience. Do all these extra perks outweigh the mounting burdens you are creating by imploding into whatever device is occupying your precious hands?

I think it’s time to finally put our smartphone into our dumb washing machine push the button and walk away. Walk away feeling refreshed without even having to wait for the washing cycle to complete. Walk away to the bank with that check you need to deposit and, on the way, say hello to that neighbor you used to see when you waited for the bus because you didn’t know when it was coming.

Life is great, the world is a beautiful place, why confine it all into a 6 inch screen?

(Note: I specifically avoided any spiritual/religious points, please don’t overrun this with them. And please, please, please don’t be that guy - “if you don’t have smartphone how are you going to post this” )

If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Like anything in life if you use it the right way and in moderation it definitely improves the quality of your life. If you overdo it, it probably doesnt

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
+1

Very well written.

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
is this a question or pre-Rosh Hashana mussar?
you mention Instagram, Facebook, etc. You can have a smartphone without having those apps. and a no phone at the dinner table rule, etc. It takes over your life as much as you let it.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
My quality of life has improved since I switched away from a smartphone in more ways than I ever imagined. This is without having had any apps like facebook/instagram/etc. and without being a part of facebook chats.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
TLDR

However to answer the question in the thread title my answer is an absolute and resounding No! And made worse by Steve Jobs turning them into devices that require both eyes and both hands to operate.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Amen! (not in a a religious way of course) Id love to be part of this movement!

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Nice post. I was just talking to someone who got rid of his iPhone and changed to the lg flip phone.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
#TYH

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
Make a poll

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Yes, immeasurably.

But if you don't have boundaries then it will consume you.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Tuna Baygel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Amen! (not in a a religious way of course) Id love to be part of this movement!

Why does it need to be a movement?? why cant you just get rid of your phone?

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
Why does it need to be a movement?? why cant you just get rid of your phone?
it doesn’t have to be. It would be better world if more people would do it. And I’m seriously considering it.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Seems that the smartphone is a short term pleasure and/or convenience, but has a long term burden.
just like [almost] all human desires, which are the same.

and the argument that you can set your guidelines on it, true, some people can, but most cannot.
and why? do you really NEED it? Yes, of course @Dan and the like, do need it, but most of us do not.

I still want to know, from a scientific point of view, why is everybody so attracted to it? Is it the color screen? The flashy style? The idea that it looks that it makes people happy?

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
But if you don't have boundaries then it will consume you.
What are the chances? are there statistics on this?
How many teenagers or 20-30 YO's can set boundaries, before it destroys part of their most quality time of life?

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
I was recently without service/smartphone for a couple of days. Quality of life goes up without them.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Tough question to answer. First because I'm not clear on what the question exactly is. Second because I'm just not sure.

Is it a time waster more than a time saver? For me definitely yes. Is that the ultimate deciding factor whether a smartphone is good or bad? I'm not sure.

I'll tell you why I like it. It's quite simple. It seems to me that the main thing everyone doesn't like about smartphones is that it ruins personal relationships. But I'm the quietest guy you've ever met. Even when I was younger before I had a smartphone I never socialized much. Why would it be any different now? So what else should I do with my time if not try to preoccupy myself with something.

Does using a smartphone make me more introverted? Very likely. Would I change if I didn't have a smartphone? I don't know. I guess I would somewhat.

(This took me waaay too long to analyze my feelings to give a response :) )
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
Tough question to answer. First because I'm not clear on what the question exactly is. Second because I'm just not sure.

Is it a time waster more than a time saver? For me definitely yes. Is that the ultimate deciding factor whether a smartphone is good or bad? I'm not sure.

I'll tell you why I like it. It's quite simple. It seems to me that the main thing everyone doesn't like about smartphones is that it ruins personal relationships. But I'm the quietest guy you've ever met. Even when I was younger before I had a smartphone I never socialized much. Why would it be any different now? So what else should I do with my time if not try to preoccupy myself with something.

Does using a smartphone make me more introverted? Very likely. Would I change if I didn't have a smartphone? I don't know. I guess I would somewhat.

(This took me waaay too long to analyze my feelings to give a response :) )
ok so its a time waster. you would do more valuable things in that time? your'e almsot saying that yes.
your being quiet, would most pro change if you wouldn't have this, which would result in a better future rather than burying yourself in your problem.

so I guess you answer was not sure, but your explanation is pretty cleat that you are sure.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:13:47 PM by ah giten »

Offline aygart

• View Profile
What are the chances? are there statistics on this?
How many teenagers or 20-30 YO's can set boundaries, before it destroys part of their most quality time of life?
Well, @Definitions may say that you can just explain to them how important self control is and then even any teenager can have one that is totally unfiltered and very reliably control themselves.  ;D

Offline aygart

• View Profile
I was recently without service/smartphone for a couple of days. Quality of life goes up without them.
So what did you do after those few days?