Author Topic: Honestly, honestly do you feel smartphones have improved your quality of life?  (Read 7297 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA
I was recently without service/smartphone for a couple of days. Quality of life goes up without them.
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Tough question to answer. First because I'm not clear on what the question exactly is. Second because I'm just not sure.

Is it a time waster more than a time saver? For me definitely yes. Is that the ultimate deciding factor whether a smartphone is good or bad? I'm not sure.

I'll tell you why I like it. It's quite simple. It seems to me that the main thing everyone doesn't like about smartphones is that it ruins personal relationships. But I'm the quietest guy you've ever met. Even when I was younger before I had a smartphone I never socialized much. Why would it be any different now? So what else should I do with my time if not try to preoccupy myself with something.

Does using a smartphone make me more introverted? Very likely. Would I change if I didn't have a smartphone? I don't know. I guess I would somewhat.

(This took me waaay too long to analyze my feelings to give a response :) )
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Tough question to answer. First because I'm not clear on what the question exactly is. Second because I'm just not sure.

Is it a time waster more than a time saver? For me definitely yes. Is that the ultimate deciding factor whether a smartphone is good or bad? I'm not sure.

I'll tell you why I like it. It's quite simple. It seems to me that the main thing everyone doesn't like about smartphones is that it ruins personal relationships. But I'm the quietest guy you've ever met. Even when I was younger before I had a smartphone I never socialized much. Why would it be any different now? So what else should I do with my time if not try to preoccupy myself with something.

Does using a smartphone make me more introverted? Very likely. Would I change if I didn't have a smartphone? I don't know. I guess I would somewhat.

(This took me waaay too long to analyze my feelings to give a response :) )
ok so its a time waster. you would do more valuable things in that time? your'e almsot saying that yes.
your being quiet, would most pro change if you wouldn't have this, which would result in a better future rather than burying yourself in your problem.

so I guess you answer was not sure, but your explanation is pretty cleat that you are sure.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:13:47 PM by ah giten »

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
What are the chances? are there statistics on this?
How many teenagers or 20-30 YO's can set boundaries, before it destroys part of their most quality time of life?
Well, @Definitions may say that you can just explain to them how important self control is and then even any teenager can have one that is totally unfiltered and very reliably control themselves.  ;D
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
I was recently without service/smartphone for a couple of days. Quality of life goes up without them.
So what did you do after those few days?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
so I guess you answer was not sure, but your explanation is pretty cleat that you are sure.
Seems that the difference may be what you consider to be quality of life.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
What are the chances? are there statistics on this?
How many teenagers or 20-30 YO's can set boundaries, before it destroys part of their most quality time of life?
Who said teenagers should have a smartphone?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Who said teenagers should have a smartphone?

Were the Treo or the Centro smartphones?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Were the Treo or the Centro smartphones?
According to Sprint and Verizon, no.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
According to Sprint and Verizon, no.
lol

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK, so I need a smartphone for business.

Just for travel alone, I can't imagine not having a smartphone. I remember the bad old days when you were reliant on an agent to find alternate flights in case of IRROPS, when you didn't have Waze telling you where to go and how to avoid traffic, when you couldn't calculate zmanim based on real time info, when you needed to shlep around a key for your car, etc, etc.

Turn off your phone during family time if that's your main concern. But I could never go back again.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA
So what did you do after those few days?
Got sucked back in.  :)
I don't use my phone like most. I look at it as an emergency tool more than anything else.
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline aygart

• View Profile
OK, so I need a smartphone for business.

Just for travel alone, I can't imagine not having a smartphone. I remember the bad old days when you were reliant on an agent to find alternate flights in case of IRROPS, when you didn't have Waze telling you where to go and how to avoid traffic, when you couldn't calculate zmanim based on real time info, when you needed to shlep around a key for your car, etc, etc.

Turn off your phone during family time if that's your main concern. But I could never go back again.
I currently have a smartphone which comes out of the drawer when i am on the road but use a flip when i am local. Granted,you travel much more than i do.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
I currently have a smartphone which comes out of the drawer when i am on the road but use a flip when i am local. Granted,you travel much more than i do.

I was thinking of an Apple watch for local and iPhone when traveling. I can't imagine the watch would be as disruptive as a smartphone.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I was thinking of an Apple watch for local and iPhone when traveling. I can't imagine the watch would be as disruptive as a smartphone.
What does a watch have?
Jack of all trades, master of none.