Author Topic: Abused by staff at Thrifty / Hertz in Oakland Airport  (Read 2206 times)

Offline LVES

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Abused by staff at Thrifty / Hertz in Oakland Airport
« on: September 28, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »
My recent experience with @Thrifty  was so depressing!

My elderly mom and I hired a car recently from Thrifty at Oakland airport on her birthday so we could drive from San Leandro to Carmel and enjoy the weekend.

Everything started out ok - we picked up the car and started to leave the Oakland airport location where Thrifty is. The guy behind the desk was pleasant.

As we were exiting the parking lot we got completely stuck behind one car and it was dark and there was nobody around. Confused as we didn't know what was going on - I got out the car to see if someone could help. At this point my phone battery was dying and we were heading out for a birthday dinner. We had little time.

The Thrifty lady appeared and shouted at me to "GO BACK TO MY CAR AND WAIT.

We then finally proceeded to exit as she had dealt with the customer and as we pulled up to her window she aggressively looked at us and said I NEED YOUR LICENCE AND KEY..NOW
Well we were so shocked by this point and didn't feel comfortable to provide her with all the details after already providing them at the desk.
She then shouted BACK UP. I couldn't - This was a one way road. it was dark and I didn't know what to do.
She went to serve the customer behind us in the car and told them "they won't back up so i'm serving you now"
I had to (in the end when it was safe and waited for the other car to back up) thought she might follow me. I nearly hit a rail backing up around a corner .She then called another Thrifty employee as I was going back inside to find help quickly before I got to the first desk and this next lady just stared at me walking in. Said absolutely nothing. I was freaked out so ran out. I didn't know what to do.  My mom was screaming to not leave her

I was very nervous by this point and my phone was dying.

I explained to the manager what happened and I asked her to come with me to exit. I wanted to get out. The manager said - yeah she's like that but she's ok really... I was stunned.  (I still don't know why she wouldn't let me exit)

Both my mother and I came straight home after that and didn't make our birthday dinner. We didn't go to carmel. I wish I hadn't taken the car now.
Her aggression is not acceptable and Thrifty won't do ANYTHING about it.
I feel so upset with how i've been treated. I feel I wasted a bunch of money $479.00 + $200 deposit..

They don't seem to care about customers. Finally after one week of messages they offered me a $50 voucher to go back to the same location and get a car. I wouldn't ever do that again. :'(

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Abused by staff at Thrifty / Hertz in Oakland Airport
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »
Obviously no one has the right to be a jerk. But showing your license and keys to the checkout person at a rental car place is standard procedure, so you were in the wrong refusing to do so. And l apologize that this is going to come off sounding mean because I intend it to be helpful...you really need to buck up a bit and not let the world run your life. So someone making minimum wage in a crap job is rude to you, either let it roll off or tell them to do their job...or just drive away, what are they going to do, chase you? Cowering in fear and running back home because you're so upset just seems like a massive and unnecessary waste. I know not everyone is naturally assertive, take an improv class and some Judo. Do something besides ranting ineffectually on an online forum! It's your life, you don't deserve to have others who are having a bad day be able to ruin an entire weekend for you like this, you deserve better!

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:49:20 PM »
Feel really sorry for you and your mom. That being said, I think we all by now to pay the extra few dollars and stick to normal brands!
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:03:04 PM »
Feel really sorry for you and your mom. That being said, I think we all by now to pay the extra few dollars and stick to normal brands!
Thrifty is owned by Hertz and at many locations uses the same counters and staff, so I'd consider it a "normal" brand. Unlike say Fox or Advantage rental cars.

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »
Thrifty is owned by Hertz and at many locations uses the same counters and staff, so I'd consider it a "normal" brand. Unlike say Fox or Advantage rental cars.
this all the more reason you don't rent with thrifty. think about it its the same company as hertz so why is sometimes the prices as low as half the price??
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
this all the more reason you don't rent with thrifty. think about it its the same company as hertz so why is sometimes the prices as low as half the price??
Because the cars are older
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 09:10:59 AM »
Obviously no one has the right to be a jerk. But showing your license and keys to the checkout person at a rental car place is standard procedure, so you were in the wrong refusing to do so. And l apologize that this is going to come off sounding mean because I intend it to be helpful...you really need to buck up a bit and not let the world run your life. So someone making minimum wage in a crap job is rude to you, either let it roll off or tell them to do their job...or just drive away, what are they going to do, chase you? Cowering in fear and running back home because you're so upset just seems like a massive and unnecessary waste. I know not everyone is naturally assertive, take an improv class and some Judo. Do something besides ranting ineffectually on an online forum! It's your life, you don't deserve to have others who are having a bad day be able to ruin an entire weekend for you like this, you deserve better!
And these rental place minimum wage employees love taking it out on innocent people. next time take your biz elsewhere.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle