56 (19%)
Sweet wine
19 (6.4%)
Dessert wine
8 (2.7%)
The cheaper the better
7 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 295

Author Topic: What's your favorite (kind of) wine?  (Read 225663 times)

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite (kind of) wine?
« Reply #920 on: March 02, 2023, 12:36:52 PM »
I do enjoy Kedem Grape Juice as well. Thank you very much. But for kiddush i prefer semi/dry :) Purim/Pesach as well.

Regarding Chareidim, they do make up a lot of the Frum world. And even in the non-Chareidi Frum world, not every woman likes wine, and those who do may not like semi/dry wines.

So lets do the math:
1/2 Frum women are Chareidi, lets say 20% enjoy wine and of those 1/2 like semi/dry=5% of Frum women
+ 1/2 Frum women are not Chareidi, lets say 43%(*) enjoy wine and of those 2/3 like semi/dry=14.5% Frum women
=19.5% of Frum Women like semi/dry
Not such a high number

*https://www.statista.com/statistics/1042563/gender-preferred-alcoholic-beverages-us/

I would say that we should do a poll, but it seems that the overwhelming majority of participants on DD are male.

Would a poll based on what someone's wife and 21+ daughters drink be scientific enough?

Offline Moshe Green

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 02, 2023, 01:06:44 PM »
I would say that we should do a poll, but it seems that the overwhelming majority of participants on DD are male.

Would a poll based on what someone's wife and 21+ daughters drink be scientific enough?
Sounds good.
What about mothers as well?

How does this sound:
"What percentage of the women you are most knowledgeable about (Wife, Mother, Daughters) enjoy Dry or Semi Dry wine?"
1) Lower than 20%
2) 20-29%
3) 30-39%
4) 40-50%
5) Higher than 50%

Offline sds1493

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 02, 2023, 02:35:56 PM »
Sounds good.

How does this sound:
"What percentage of the women you are most knowledgeable about (Wife, Mother, Daughters) enjoy Dry or Semi Dry wine?"
1) Lower than 20%
2) 20-29%
3) 30-39%
4) 40-50%
5) Higher than 50%

That presupposes that the person in question likes wine in general (not just a sip).

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #923 on: March 02, 2023, 02:40:54 PM »
Sounds good.

How does this sound:
1) Lower than 20%
2) 20-29%
3) 30-39%
4) 40-50%
5) Higher than 50%
That is a terrible poll, If biobook knows 100 women of which 80 like dry wine and I know 5 of which one likes dry wine, her vote will effectively be cancelled by mine.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 02, 2023, 09:55:50 PM »
That is a terrible poll, If biobook knows 100 women of which 80 like dry wine and I know 5 of which one likes dry wine, her vote will effectively be cancelled by mine.

I dont like it because semi dry and dry are very different tastes in wine.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 03, 2023, 04:23:09 AM »

Thats true. It isn't perfect. But the idea is to get a rough estimate of the percentage of women because we don't have enough women on DD to get a clear picture.

The idea is to understand which women prefer grape juice or sweet wine over the "heavier stuff" which are semi/dry.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #926 on: March 03, 2023, 08:34:13 AM »
Thats true. It isn't perfect. But the idea is to get a rough estimate of the percentage of women because we don't have enough women on DD to get a clear picture.

The idea is to understand which women prefer grape juice or sweet wine over the "heavier stuff" which are semi/dry.
The way you keep calling dry wines heavier is so laughable. The heaviest wines are sweet.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #927 on: March 03, 2023, 08:40:24 AM »
The way you keep calling dry wines heavier is so laughable. The heaviest wines are sweet.

What do you mean? There is nothing lighter than a thick sugary syrup that rushes straight to your head

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 04, 2023, 02:49:39 PM »
:o :o :o
i hear, so your still in your own little fantasy bubble. Or maybe drunk from the Simcha of Adar!
 ;D ;D ;D
Dry is sweet. Sweet is sour? or dry?
 ;)
Here's some info for you wannabe drunkards:
https://www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/advice-how-tos/entertaining/red-wines#:~:text=Any%20red%20wine%20with%20more,Sauvignon%2C%20Zinfandel%2C%20and%20Syrah.

To better understand wine, it helps to know some basic categories. Here we'll share the difference between light-, medium-, and full-bodied red wines (and some of our favorite sangrias for each).

The body of a wine refers to its mouthfeel, with light-bodied wines being less viscous that full-bodied wines. Remember, viscosity describes the thickness or texture of a liquid, with water being less viscous than syrup, for example.

Light Reds
Light red wines generally have a lower alcohol content of less than 12.5 percent. They also have less tannins than medium- or full-bodied wines. Pinot Noir, Grenache, and Barbera are a few examples.
Full Reds
Any red wine with more than 13.5 percent alcohol is considered a full-bodied wine. Full-bodied wines have more complex flavors and have a richer mouthfeel. Examples include Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, and Syrah.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #929 on: March 04, 2023, 10:44:44 PM »
i hear, so your still in your own little fantasy bubble. Or maybe drunk from the Simcha of Adar!
 ;D ;D ;D
 ;)
https://www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/advice-how-tos/entertaining/red-wines#:~:text=Any%20red%20wine%20with%20more,Sauvignon%2C%20Zinfandel%2C%20and%20Syrah.

To better understand wine, it helps to know some basic categories. Here we'll share the difference between light-, medium-, and full-bodied red wines (and some of our favorite sangrias for each).

The body of a wine refers to its mouthfeel, with light-bodied wines being less viscous that full-bodied wines. Remember, viscosity describes the thickness or texture of a liquid, with water being less viscous than syrup, for example.

Light Reds
Light red wines generally have a lower alcohol content of less than 12.5 percent. They also have less tannins than medium- or full-bodied wines. Pinot Noir, Grenache, and Barbera are a few examples.
Full Reds
Any red wine with more than 13.5 percent alcohol is considered a full-bodied wine. Full-bodied wines have more complex flavors and have a richer mouthfeel. Examples include Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, and Syrah.
Okay, now which one is concord grape or the Israeli יין ישן נושן
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: March 05, 2023, 01:35:36 PM »
If your question is based on the assumption that all wines are Vegan, that is not necessarily the case. Some (non-kosher) wines use isinglass (which is made from fish) in the filtering process.

Some also use egg whites as a fining agent
Visibly Jewish

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 05, 2023, 01:46:15 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
 ;)
Ok. You seem to know everything. I'm very impressed. Thanks for your contribution!

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 06, 2023, 01:48:26 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
 ;)

Light Reds
Full Reds

Ai generated garbage

Most wine these days are 13.5%, stating full bodied and using 3 grapes as expression is crazy

Zinfandel is very ripe, made often 16-17%.

Cabernet Sauvignon and syrah are generally but not always full bodied.

There are 1000 other wines that are 13.5%+ and not Cabernet Sauvignon, zinfandel or syrah

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #933 on: March 07, 2023, 04:55:22 AM »
From a sign from a few years ago. I looked it over and it still seems pretty good, recommendations-wise.
לכבוד הציבור הקדושה, שיחיו,
ידוע לכל בר בי רב דחד יומא מאמר החכם "כשם שאי אפשר לבר בלי תבן, כך על טעם וריח אינו מתווכח." ואעפ"כ, היות שיהיה לנו עבודה נוראה ה"ה יום כפורים הבא עלינו לטובה, באתי לפניך בלב מלא יראה שמחה להגיש כמה יינות טובות שמהם יש אפשרות לקיים המצוה בשלימות ובנחת (על תנאי שבקשו מחילה אם ח"ו פגעתם ביהודי, שאין יום פורים מכפר על עבירות בין אדם לחברו).
בטוח אני שיש יינות אחרות – הרבה דרכים למקום – אבל אני רק בקשתי לשתף אם השמחה שלכם ולהגיד איזה יינות שאני בעצמי מצא להיות נוח וקל לשתות.
היינות יש להם טעמים (ומחירים) שונים. הגם שכדאי לקנות עבור הטעם, לא צריך לקנות היקרים אם אתה מחפש רק יין נוח וקל (למשל, אם לא אוהבים יין או אוהבים רק יין מתוק).
בכבוד רב,
ה"שר המשקים"

טפרברג Inspire INTEGRITAGE (האפור)   (Editor's note: they stopped calling the individual Inspires with names like "Integritage." But it is still the same idea - the grey label)
ממש כמו מים. (כמעט בלי טעם וקל מאוד)   

נטופה דומיין למיניהם
   האדום הכי טוב, הלבן הכי קל, הסמוק באמצע. הבקבוקים הקטנים דומים אבל לא שווה.   

בן זמרא 26   הכשר של הרב ווסטהיים   
יגיע בכמה צבעים - אני ממליץ האדום.

יתיר Syrah    - קל וטעים. יקר קצת.

Tepperberg זנפנדל סמוק   אם צריכים נגיעה של מתיקות ביין. גם זול.   

Jeunesse Pink Moscato    יותר טוב ויותר קל מהזנפנדל, אם מעט מתיקות. הכשרים אמריקאים.   

מיץ ענבים בית סבה
אפשרות להחליף ליין לאחר זמן. מה נעשה אם א"א לשתות יין? גם מומלץ לד' כוסות.   

Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 08, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »
I don't like most wines. I can only swallow wines that don't require someone to acquire a taste for it. Something like Bartenura Moscato.
Somewhat related. Yesterday someone gave me a drink that was a mixture of (I think) Gatorade and some alcoholic drink, agave something, I don't know what it was. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was drinkable. BUT he only put a little bit in.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 08, 2023, 11:30:58 AM »
Somewhat related. Yesterday someone gave me a drink that was a mixture of (I think) Gatorade and some alcoholic drink, agave something, I don't know what it was. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was drinkable. BUT he only put a little bit in.
Tequila is made from Agave

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 08, 2023, 12:45:50 PM »
Sounds good.

How does this sound:
1) Lower than 20%
2) 20-29%
3) 30-39%
4) 40-50%
5) Higher than 50%

Its been a while since I had semi dry as I prefer either sweet (Moscato) or dry (Merlot/Syrah/Cab).

A friend brought a bottle of semi-dry to the seudah yesterday and it was really sweet - I don't know why anyone would consider it in the same category with dry.

You can actually see the crystallized sugar on the bottom of the cork

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #937 on: March 08, 2023, 01:16:22 PM »
In that picture, there is a semi-sweet. Despite the math suggesting that they would be the same, semi-sweet and semi-dry are different things.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 08, 2023, 01:40:40 PM »
In that picture, there is a semi-sweet. Despite the math suggesting that they would be the same, semi-sweet and semi-dry are different things.
Let me start off by explaining that “dry” and “sweet” are different ends of the same spectrum. When most or all of the grape sugar is converted to alcohol during fermentation, a wine is considered “dry.” A “sweet” wine still has a lot of that residual sugar leftover. All the wines in between can be considered “semi-sweet” or “semi-dry.” These aren’t technical terms but, in general, the term “semi-sweet” is used for wines closer to “sweet” while “semi-dry” will refer to wines closer to “dry.”

There can be a lot of confusion about these terms—after all, “dry” is a sensation, and sometimes it can be used to describe the sensation of tannins.
https://www.winespectator.com/articles/difference-between-semi-dry-sweet-wine-54872#:~:text=All%20the%20wines%20in%20between,wines%20closer%20to%20%E2%80%9Cdry.%E2%80%9D

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile