Author Topic: Hilton HHonors Diamond or mix of other CCs and points?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline bradleysjones

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hilton HHonors Diamond or mix of other CCs and points?
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »
My wife and I do NOT travel for business and have no reimbursable expenses from business.  Our largest expense (rent) can only be paid through a VISA/MC.  We would just like to take 1-2 trips a year on points or heavily subsidized by points.

I just got the Hilton Reserve.  I can spend >40k a year on it if I can pay my rent on it and achieve Diamond status plus the associated points.  Also, I have noticed that most domestic HHonors redemptions don't provide just incredible value.  We would be doing most of our traveling in the continental US.

I also have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom (with Chase Exclusives), and the SPG Amex.  Is it worth it to concentrate solely on the HHonors program and Diamond status through spend or should I be diversifying my points balances with the other cards?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Hilton HHonors Diamond or mix of other CCs and points?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35:25 PM »
Diversify.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sy guy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hilton HHonors Diamond or mix of other CCs and points?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
I agree with Dan. I had been a SPG guy for years, thinking I was doing well using my SPG points. Then I realized that having a broad base of points to work across multiple programs with is better.  I am new to the card game, but since May have been approved for 16 cards (2 pending apps) across 5 banks - thanks 3BM's- so it is easy to catch up pretty fast. Now in addition to SPG, I have options with Hilton and Hyatt, and for the first time with multiple airlines. My goal after this binge is to figure out which programs work best for me, and target my future apps to those whose base I want to build on. Good luck