Author Topic: Master Thread: Education - College, Yeshiva, Seminary. Post Here.  (Read 76640 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Master Thread: Education - College, Yeshiva, Seminary. Post Here.
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
I'm looking into computer science was thinking about a bachelor and then a master just that someone pointed out to me that it may be better to do a certificate that do a degree I wanted to hear what other people think of that
Do PCS's course.

Offline dudi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »
Do PCS's course.
is that nace.org? Or eah.edu?

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »
So someone said they will FORSURE hire you if you get an MBA from any school? I would double check that and get that in writing. If he/she already decided to hire you why do they need you to get a no name MBA? If not I wouldn't rely on it. You want advice on getting a solid job in the financial sector go to a REAL college (not touro not FDU forsure not BTL) Cuny can be fine if you can do it in Baruch or major in accounting. Obviously NYU stern undergrad is or Columbia undergrad would be ideal but those are really hard to get into. Maybe sy syms school. Graduate with good grades get a decent job work your butt off and study for GMATS gets a great grade on GMAT get into good business school. Get recruited by the heavy hitters.

Going yeshivesh on this won't help you at all. Unless you family is loaded and your going into the business, in that case I'm not sure why you need an MBA.

The issue is that someone people will accept your advice and say "Eh, if Im not going to HBS then its not worth getting an MBA. I beg to differ. Some companies (and I mean non-jewish ones) will require an MBA or equivalent degree to get to a certain level and pay grade. Yes, a lot of materiel you will learn in some of these MBA programs may not be relevant but you will still have an MBA (as appose to listening to MR Anonymous on DDF telling you that a degree is not necessary).

Another point is that not everyone is a go-getter and can 'make it' without a degree. Some people follow the system without shortcuts.

Lastly, you never knows where life takes you. I have a friend that had 7 years working experience but doesn't have his high school diploma. Now he cant get a job. However if he had 7 years experience plus an MBA, he would have a bigger chance of getting something in the competitive job market.

The bottom line is that if you have the time and are able to do it, I would recommend it.

Offline reed

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2014, 12:53:15 AM »
The issue is that someone people will accept your advice and say "Eh, if Im not going to HBS then its not worth getting an MBA. I beg to differ. Some companies (and I mean non-jewish ones) will require an MBA or equivalent degree to get to a certain level and pay grade. Yes, a lot of materiel you will learn in some of these MBA programs may not be relevant but you will still have an MBA (as appose to listening to MR Anonymous on DDF telling you that a degree is not necessary).

Another point is that not everyone is a go-getter and can 'make it' without a degree. Some people follow the system without shortcuts.

Lastly, you never knows where life takes you. I have a friend that had 7 years working experience but doesn't have his high school diploma. Now he cant get a job. However if he had 7 years experience plus an MBA, he would have a bigger chance of getting something in the competitive job market.

The bottom line is that if you have the time and are able to do it, I would recommend it.

Here's what you missed MBA cost more than just time it cost lots of money too. Taking out 100k in loans is very risky thing to do for a no/name MBA. You got to a serious cost/benefit analysis. Again if you have a job that requires it to get to the next level then it might be worth but to stake getting a job on it I think is foolish. Think if your sitting behind a desk and someone comes in with no real undergrad degree and an MBA from FDU - would it really change anything?

As for your friend big diffrence between not having HS diploma and an MBA. I'm not advocating for short cuts on the contrary I'm saying that one should take no shortcuts at all go all out get a regular real college degree, then see where that leads you. Baby steps.

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2014, 01:00:11 AM »
I hear your point. Definitely worth getting a BA so that you can have the option to go for an MBA or CPA in the future and not start fishing for college  credits from ur old yeshivas wen ur 35.

Btw the Bellevue MBA program is about 35k.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2014, 01:11:16 AM »
is that nace.org? Or eah.edu?
professional career services of agudas yiroel.
They have a couple of programing courses. Local and reasonable...

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2014, 01:33:16 AM »
I hear your point. Definitely worth getting a BA so that you can have the option to go for an MBA or CPA in the future and not start fishing for college  credits from ur old yeshivas wen ur 35.

Btw the Bellevue MBA program is about 35k.

Which should speak volumes to its value.

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2014, 01:45:21 AM »
So wait, all of the guys who got Accounting degrees from FDU and work at Big 4 - didn't follow your lengthy and expensive prescribed plan and they are in the same place as they guys who went to Ivy league school.

Go figure.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2014, 02:41:16 AM »
Nursing Home administration?
Yes.

And @marks my BIL just got a job a delloite with his ACCT FDU degree (taking his CPA now)
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline PraiseCanada

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Skymiles, Matmid, Starwood Gold, Aeroplan, RBC Visa, Hertz Gold, BA Avios
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2014, 03:05:27 AM »
Yes.

And @marks my BIL just got a job a delloite with his ACCT FDU degree (taking his CPA now)

Just FYI
I know from an inside source high up at Deloitte that they will be sharply curtailing the hiring of Orthodox Yeshiva-students. Not because of any negative performances but because of the Shabboss/Yom Tov thing. When one team member isn't there for two days straight, it's extremely difficult to catch up and be a productive of the team.

Offline PraiseCanada

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Skymiles, Matmid, Starwood Gold, Aeroplan, RBC Visa, Hertz Gold, BA Avios
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2014, 03:07:52 AM »
I'm looking into computer science was thinking about a bachelor and then a master just that someone pointed out to me that it may be better to do a certificate that do a degree I wanted to hear what other people think of that

A certificate? From where? A community college?
What is your goal? Do you want to work at Google? You'll need a CompSci university degree unless you're a super (and I mean super) genius.

If you just want to build websites for people, a certificate is a far better value for your time and money.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2014, 07:35:57 AM »
Just FYI
I know from an inside source high up at Deloitte that they will be sharply curtailing the hiring of Orthodox Yeshiva-students. Not because of any negative performances but because of the Shabboss/Yom Tov thing. When one team member isn't there for two days straight, it's extremely difficult to catch up and be a productive of the team.
IF that was true,  I HIGHLY doubt they wpuld let word of it get out like that.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:29 AM »
Deloitte is a bunch of firms operating under the same flag, there's no uniform hiring process.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2014, 08:13:48 AM »
Deloitte is a bunch of firms operating under the same flag, there's no uniform hiring process.
Internationally. Within the United States they def. have a uniform hiring process and are one firm.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:21 AM »
IF that was true,  I HIGHLY doubt they wpuld let word of it get out like that.
+1 its very illegal.

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »
So wait, all of the guys who got Accounting degrees from FDU and work at Big 4 - didn't follow your lengthy and expensive prescribed plan and they are in the same place as they guys who went to Ivy league school.

Go figure.

No one goes to an Ivy League business school to be accountant at a Big 4. If they do their in consulting or something like that. You go to these schools to work at Goldman Sachs, Blackstone ect. I really don't think Wharton is getting nervous from the competition that FDU accounting is bringing.

Offline reed

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »
Yes.

Can someone explain to me this whole Nursing Home Administartion business, it seems to be the new BMG no education needed Hot feild, but what is it exactly ? What's the pay like, room for growth, what's it capped at ect.?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
FYI
There's a website I once found on this topic
YeshivaDegree.com

It doesn't look like they updated it much recently but there's still some good info there and forums.
Dude if you want to promote your site say it is yours or it'll lead to a ban. We appreciate the help no need to hide the ball.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline dudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »
A certificate? From where? A community college?
What is your goal? Do you want to work at Google? You'll need a CompSci university degree unless you're a super (and I mean super) genius.

If you just want to build websites for people, a certificate is a far better value for your time and money.
but if I want to know computers one hundred percent properly and then go into a specific field then you would say I should not just get myself 3 certificates one in IT one in programing and one in networking?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
but if I want to know computers one hundred percent properly and then go into a specific field then you would say I should not just get myself 3 certificates one in IT one in programing and one in networking?
What kind of it work do you want to do?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.