Author Topic: Master Thread: Education - College, Yeshiva, Seminary. Post Here.  (Read 76829 times)

Offline SRM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Master Thread: Education - College, Yeshiva, Seminary. Post Here.
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
Same with any high level job.  If you want to be a rocket scientist--a physics phd is not required; just learn the material and publish some good papers.

Were you being serious or sarcastic?

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2014, 12:35:32 PM »
Someone earned the equivalent of 60 college credits in england years ago.
What's the cheapest way to get them transferred to the US? (TTI wants $2k for the job..)

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
Someone earned the equivalent of 60 college credits in england years ago.
What's the cheapest way to get them transferred to the US? (TTI wants $2k for the job..)
Did you try ECE?

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
Same with any high level job.  If you want to be a rocket scientist--a physics phd is not required; just learn the material and publish some good papers.
Not at all the same. In the actuarial profession almsot no one has a masters degree. Now im not saying with an FDU degree you can get a job. But in general to get an actuarial job you need a bachelors degree (which is usually in math or actuarial science or related but not always) and to pass some actuarial exams.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
Hey guys. Im going through the college sugya and trying to get a feel for fdu vs. Excelsior (tti). Obviously the fdu undergrad is much quicker and all ( they accept 72 yeshiva credits vs. Excelsior that only accepts 45). Sounds from this forum that fdu is a bedieved undergrad. Excelsior is quite a bit more work ( not to mention a third of the price for some on who can't get grants). The question is, is it worth the extra time for excelsior undergrad.Does it look better on a persons resume? ( im shooting for a b.s in business) ? Thanks

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
Can you just go for an MBA from fdu for the same price?

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
I thought FDU has a mandatory amount of classes that you must take with them? And their classes arent cheap. The main advantage of Excelsior is that they are very lenient with transfer credits so you can take CLEPs Dantes, TECEP's (Thomas Edison Credit Exam) ECE's (Excelsior Credit Exam)

Transfer credits and Cleps etc are much cheaper than a course from FDU (one clep is 50$+administration fee 20-50$ so 100$ for 3 credits) but they can only be used for mostly lower level courses and if your going for a business degree youll need Upper level. Thomas Edison I hear is easier to test out of Upper Level courses. But thats all assuming you want to test out of classes and not just go to class. Still you can sit in a reg. class and transfer to Excelsior.

Excelsior is regionally accredited, I dont know about FDU.

Also you should double check the amount of credits Excelsior will accept because Im pretty sure its only 30 but they require you to have earned 45 from the yeshiva that your transferring from. They might take a total of 45 if you transfer from more than one yeshiva but I dont have experience with that.

You can check out Thomas Edison.

Instantcert.com / degreeforum.net has a forum dedicated to testing out of college. Its probably faster than the regular way but you need to be on top of yourself and be committed/dedicated to studying.

Hope some of that was useful

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2014, 07:18:53 PM »
Can you just go for an MBA from fdu for the same price?
dont you need an undergrad before you can go on to a masters?

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »
I thought FDU has a mandatory amount of classes that you must take with them? And their classes arent cheap. The main advantage of Excelsior is that they are very lenient with transfer credits so you can take CLEPs Dantes, TECEP's (Thomas Edison Credit Exam) ECE's (Excelsior Credit Exam)

Transfer credits and Cleps etc are much cheaper than a course from FDU (one clep is 50$+administration fee 20-50$ so 100$ for 3 credits) but they can only be used for mostly lower level courses and if your going for a business degree youll need Upper level. Thomas Edison I hear is easier to test out of Upper Level courses. But thats all assuming you want to test out of classes and not just go to class. Still you can sit in a reg. class and transfer to Excelsior.

Excelsior is regionally accredited, I dont know about FDU.

Also you should double check the amount of credits Excelsior will accept because Im pretty sure its only 30 but they require you to have earned 45 from the yeshiva that your transferring from. They might take a total of 45 if you transfer from more than one yeshiva but I dont have experience with that.

You can check out Thomas Edison.

Instantcert.com / degreeforum.net has a forum dedicated to testing out of college. Its probably faster than the regular way but you need to be on top of yourself and be committed/dedicated to studying.

Hope some of that was useful
thanks for the info. Any idea if the excelsior online classes themselves or dantes or thomas edison courses are easier than cleps or vice versa?

Offline PraiseCanada

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Skymiles, Matmid, Starwood Gold, Aeroplan, RBC Visa, Hertz Gold, BA Avios
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »
Avoid FDU

Offline DealRaider

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »
thanks for the info. Any idea if the excelsior online classes themselves or dantes or thomas edison courses are easier than cleps or vice versa?

Well that actually would depend on the type of course your taking. On the forum I mentioned before people will say they had an easier time with a Clep for this and a ECE exam for that. Some overlap and you can take multiple tests. Excelsior online classes I havent heard so much good things about and you will have to take a minimum of (I think) 2 classes from them. Clep has been very easy in my experience. I used instacert to study along with other study resources that are in the member only thread of instacert (User feedback and study guides basically) and I did much better than I expected.

You can also use/take any course that is ACE accredited and build an ACE Transcript that you then transfer over to Excelsior. Straighterline.com and other websites (ALEKS,  have online courses (a lot easier and cheaper than an Excelsior course) that are ACE accredited. I just took an open book final from Straighterline and I had a very easy time with an e-book open side by side with the test and the search/ctrl+F function. Although to be fair not every test is going to be a breeze regardless of open book or not. ex. Financial Accounting.

Getting back to the point. Taking an online course with a college is exactly that, its a course. Itll be a normal length several month long ordeal. And you have to put up with annoying things like posting to discussion boards and responding to comments online to show participation. At the same time though, if going to a physical college isnt an option for you or you dont have time to do it so then you can take an online course and its "like" the same thing. So if you want the responsibility of a class/and a teacher on top of you to make sure your keeping to your schedule that could be good for you. But if you dont care about that and can self-study then Cleps are definitely easier IMO than taking a class.

Btw you can also take an NYU language exam in Hebrew, Yidish, Arabic (if your some old school hard-core Sefaradi that might be an option) Russian etc, 4-12-16 credit exams. If you ace the 12 credit one you can then take the essay part for another 4 credits.

http://www.free-clep-prep.com/

List of all Ace accredited organizations
http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseaction=browse.main

If your interested in Accounting, Cope is run by (I think) the Agudah in Brooklyn. If youll look at the list of ACE organizations, theyre under C Cope Institute. They also do Cleps but they teach those courses listed there ACE accredited and transfer all of it to Excelsior and get you a 150 credit Degree from Excelsior. So they also teach and utilize the transfer.

So wait. Did we get an answer in there somewhere? I hope so..

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
dont you need an undergrad before you can go on to a masters?
Yes but you can generally use a btl/bts

Offline 972sg212

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »
Avoid FDU

Why is that?
Im starting this semester

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »
Yes but you can generally use a btl/bts
Really? I heard that btl is really only good for law school ( which doesn't interest me), and even then they arent guaranteed to get you into law school. Correct me if im wrong...

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
Really? I heard that btl is really only good for law school ( which doesn't interest me), and even then they arent guaranteed to get you into law school. Correct me if im wrong...
You can use a BTS to get a Masters in accounting, taxation or an MBA from FDU

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
You can use a BTS to get a Masters in accounting, taxation or an MBA from FDU
whats the difference between a btl and bts? Ive only heard of btl ( I think thats what bmg gives)

Offline berele

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
Well that actually would depend on the type of course your taking. On the forum I mentioned before people will say they had an easier time with a Clep for this and a ECE exam for that. Some overlap and you can take multiple tests. Excelsior online classes I havent heard so much good things about and you will have to take a minimum of (I think) 2 classes from them. Clep has been very easy in my experience. I used instacert to study along with other study resources that are in the member only thread of instacert (User feedback and study guides basically) and I did much better than I expected.

You can also use/take any course that is ACE accredited and build an ACE Transcript that you then transfer over to Excelsior. Straighterline.com and other websites (ALEKS,  have online courses (a lot easier and cheaper than an Excelsior course) that are ACE accredited. I just took an open book final from Straighterline and I had a very easy time with an e-book open side by side with the test and the search/ctrl+F function. Although to be fair not every test is going to be a breeze regardless of open book or not. ex. Financial Accounting.

Getting back to the point. Taking an online course with a college is exactly that, its a course. Itll be a normal length several month long ordeal. And you have to put up with annoying things like posting to discussion boards and responding to comments online to show participation. At the same time though, if going to a physical college isnt an option for you or you dont have time to do it so then you can take an online course and its "like" the same thing. So if you want the responsibility of a class/and a teacher on top of you to make sure your keeping to your schedule that could be good for you. But if you dont care about that and can self-study then Cleps are definitely easier IMO than taking a class.

Btw you can also take an NYU language exam in Hebrew, Yidish, Arabic (if your some old school hard-core Sefaradi that might be an option) Russian etc, 4-12-16 credit exams. If you ace the 12 credit one you can then take the essay part for another 4 credits.

http://www.free-clep-prep.com/

List of all Ace accredited organizations
http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseaction=browse.main

If your interested in Accounting, Cope is run by (I think) the Agudah in Brooklyn. If youll look at the list of ACE organizations, theyre under C Cope Institute. They also do Cleps but they teach those courses listed there ACE accredited and transfer all of it to Excelsior and get you a 150 credit Degree from Excelsior. So they also teach and utilize the transfer.

So wait. Did we get an answer in there somewhere? I hope so..
wow. Amazing response, really helpful. Tell me, this nyu language thing that everyone talks about, can it be done online? Can I use it for credits if I want a business degree?