Author Topic: Refund due to International COVID Testing Requirements?  (Read 786 times)

Offline wfoley85

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Refund due to International COVID Testing Requirements?
« on: January 26, 2021, 08:44:23 AM »
I am scheduled to travel to the Caribbean in early Feb on American.  We had jumped on a great fare and hotel deals a month back in hopes that we would feel comfortable traveling.  With the new testing requirements, we have decided to cancel.

We are traveling to Turks and Caicos, where testing capacity is in the hundreds per day (while thousands of Americans fly in and out eat day).  I have no confidence that the testing capacity will exist to allow us to board our return flight.  Additionally, the only testing available on the island is nasopharyngeal, and I will not expose my 3 and 5 year old to that test for the sake of travel.

Has anyone had success arguing for a refund from the airlines due to these new restrictions?  I'm sure there is something in the Contract of Carriage that relieves them of that requirement, but this is a major change to travel plans and I feel should allow for a refund.

Any thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Refund due to International COVID Testing Requirements?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
Which airline?  Most have free cancellation policies - to a voucher.
The hotel was on an airline package?  It m ight be free cancellation with the airline.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline points 99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:00:34 AM »
Just heard on radio today that proof of recovery from Covid can also be used, instead of neg test 72 hrs prior. Anyone have info on that?

Offline wfoley85

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »
Flying AA - I know I can get a voucher, but I am looking for a refund to my credit card.  I don't know when the next time I will travel is, so I'd prefer to have the money in my pocket than sitting with American.

Hotel was booked separately and is easy to refund.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 11:16:19 AM »
Just heard on radio today that proof of recovery from Covid can also be used, instead of neg test 72 hrs prior. Anyone have info on that?
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/coronavirus/will-us-require-negative-covid-19-test-results-return-abroad/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.