Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good soft cooler that won't break the bank??  (Read 2830 times)

Online Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I'm hopefully traveling from NYC to MIA for thanksgiving, and I want to bring food with me. I'm only traveling for a few days with little kids and staying at a hotel without a full kitchen, so this is the most practical option, at least for shabbos. The flight is only 3 hours, and I assume another 4 hours of travel time to and from the airport, and then figure another 3 hours in buffer time, so I need a thermos that will keep food frozen for at least 10 hours.

I know that Dan is a big fan of Polar Bear coolers, but those are pretty expensive ($135 for a 48 can cooler, and I would probably need two). Now, to be clear, I'm not saying that Polar Bears are overpriced- I know nothing of them except that they are outside of my budget. That all being said, can someone recommend a good soft cooler that will keep food frozen for at least 10 hours, and is priced at $50 or under? I will be checking it in with the airline, so ideally should also be somewhat heavy duty.

Thanks!

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Can anyone recommend a good soft cooler that won't break the bank??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »
Can't help you with a cooler, but here's a bucket you can use to carry coals to Newcastle:

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Fireplace-Hearth-Bucket-Carrier/dp/B000K9F3YE
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
I'm hopefully traveling from NYC to MIA for thanksgiving, and I want to bring food with me. I'm only traveling for a few days with little kids and staying at a hotel without a full kitchen, so this is the most practical option, at least for shabbos. The flight is only 3 hours, and I assume another 4 hours of travel time to and from the airport, and then figure another 3 hours in buffer time, so I need a thermos that will keep food frozen for at least 10 hours.

I know that Dan is a big fan of Polar Bear coolers, but those are pretty expensive ($135 for a 48 can cooler, and I would probably need two). Now, to be clear, I'm not saying that Polar Bears are overpriced- I know nothing of them except that they are outside of my budget. That all being said, can someone recommend a good soft cooler that will keep food frozen for at least 10 hours, and is priced at $50 or under? I will be checking it in with the airline, so ideally should also be somewhat heavy duty.

Thanks!
ive found in Rite Aid

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0RZY14
Happens to also be on sale now
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »

Thanks!
Food that's been frozen for several days will still be frozen when you get to your hotel without any cooler at all.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 07:06:45 PM »
Food that's been frozen for several days will still be frozen when you get to your hotel without any cooler at all.
Depends what type of food, but regardless, it should at least still be very cold by then, even if not still frozen solid. (Frozen raw chicken or meat would still be frozen solid, but this sounds like cooked food). Either way I wouldn't be too concerned, but if your nervous, any basic cooler should do the job.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »
Depends what type of food, but regardless, it should at least still be very cold by then, even if not still frozen solid. (Frozen raw chicken or meat would still be frozen solid, but this sounds like cooked food). Either way I wouldn't be too concerned, but if your nervous, any basic cooler should do the job.
Frozen raw chicken thaws differently than frozen cooked chicken?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 11:47:31 PM »
I don't know, but I assume he is bringing other food besides chicken.

Offline Muhammad

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 03:52:52 AM »
OP wants to bring frozen soup

That’s why this 👇wont work 🤪
Can't help you with a cooler, but here's a bucket you can use to carry coals to Newcastle:

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Fireplace-Hearth-Bucket-Carrier/dp/B000K9F3YE

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 07:28:26 AM »
ive found in Rite Aid
this is what I got and your more than welcome to borrow it

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I did not understand Something Fishy's joke, but I'll assume that it was funny.

And Muhammad is right-- I would like to bring soup, and that is why I'm looking for something that will keep everything really cold and frozen. For this reason, I don't think that @yungermanchik 's or @Luvisrael 's items would work, although I appreciate the generosity.

Any other ideas??

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 10:36:26 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I did not understand Something Fishy's joke, but I'll assume that it was funny.

And Muhammad is right-- I would like to bring soup, and that is why I'm looking for something that will keep everything really cold and frozen. For this reason, I don't think that @yungermanchik 's or @Luvisrael 's items would work, although I appreciate the generosity.

Any other ideas??
ne neither but maybe this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coals_to_Newcastle

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
ne neither but maybe this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coals_to_Newcastle

Ah, maybe he's saying that I don't need a cooler to bring frozen food from NYC to MIA? If so, what a peculiar way to phrase it.

Anyway, if that's the case, he's free to do so, but I still don't think it's a good idea to pack a suitcase full of food and soup without a cooler of some sort. 

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »
My point was why in the world would you shlep frozen food to Miami in the first place? That's one of the few places one can travel kosher and NOT need to bring along food.

Bringing food to Miami = bringing coal to Newcastle. 

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 11:07:08 AM »
My point was why in the world would you shlep frozen food to Miami in the first place? That's one of the few places one can travel kosher and NOT need to bring along food.

Bringing food to Miami = bringing coal to Newcastle.

If I was traveling by myself or with only my wife, I would agree. But I'm going for only 4 days with my wife and two young children, so eating at restaurants (too often) is not an option. I also don't want to spend $$$ on take out, nor half a day shopping at a super market. This way, I pack some food with me and I don't need to think about it anymore.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »
If I was traveling by myself or with only my wife, I would agree. But I'm going for only 4 days with my wife and two young children, so eating at restaurants (too often) is not an option. I also don't want to spend $$$ on take out, nor half a day shopping at a super market. This way, I pack some food with me and I don't need to think about it anymore.

I hear

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 01:12:07 PM »

Any other ideas??

Yes, for a soup you would need a cooler.
No, I wouldn't bring a cooler for some soup, you'll survive without soup. Or just buy soup there.

I've flown with deep frozen food to Hawaii with multiple connections in regular suitcases and the food has always arrived frozen at the hotel.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 01:14:39 PM »
Yes, for a soup you would need a cooler.
No, I wouldn't bring a cooler for some soup, you'll survive without soup. Or just buy soup there.

I've flown with deep frozen food to Hawaii with multiple connections in regular suitcases and the food has always arrived frozen at the hotel.

Lol, I miss-worded my post. I'm not bringing it just for soup-- maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I don't want to worry about my food while I'm traveling.

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 09:51:27 PM »
For this reason, I don't think that @yungermanchik 's items would work, although I appreciate the generosity.
I used it in the summer leaving it in the car for many hours as I stopped for attractions. The block of ice (9x13 pan frozen and popped into a 2 gallon ziplock was still frozen. and the milk was still cold. They were in the car for 12 hr. 5hr. driving and 7hr. in a hot non-airconditioned parked car
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Muhammad

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 02:02:41 AM »
And Muhammad is right-- I would like to bring soup, and that is why I'm looking for something that will keep everything really cold and frozen.
lol I was just trying to make a joke didn’t realize people actually travel with frozen soup, but if you don’t find a cooler you can use tradition soup (it’s only two days, can’t be so bad...)