Author Topic: Family of 5 Trip Barcelona, Norway, Ireland  (Read 3337 times)

Offline g8trgr8t

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • My Albums
Family of 5 Trip Barcelona, Norway, Ireland
« on: November 11, 2019, 11:21:03 AM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85268984@N02/albums/72157710570013211

photos/videos at the link above

Flew family of 5 from Miami to Barcelona on Iberia Air in early June for our first trip to Europe. Booked tickets a year before using avios points for wife and I and apparently Iberia Air had a pop up at the time of booking that told me I had to bring the CC I used to pay the taxes to be able to check in. Needless to say that after we drove from SW Florida to Miami I did not have that exact card with me. Had 5 other cards, passport, driver license, gubmnt issued ID to get on military base. I even had digital access to the account and could pull up the statement with the charge but that wasn't good enough to get us boarding passes. Iberia would not let us board. Damn near got arrested. It only got worse when Iberia informed us that my daughters passports would then only have 89 days from date of our departure from Europe and as such would not be valid so we had to get new passports for our daughters.

Spent the night in Miami while wife and son drove back to SW Fla to retrieve girls birth certificates and the CC we needed to prove to Iberia that I was who I claimed to be. Went to drug stores and got passport photos for daughters, got in line at 6 am for same day passport in Miami, got passports at 3:30 that day for 6:30 flight to Barcelona. Cost me an extra 240k AA miles to put kids on a different AA flight, hotel room in Miami, rental car for a day, lost day in Barcelona, and 2 hotel room charges for single night lost in Barcelona when Iberia wouldn't issue boarding passes without exact CC I used to pay taxes. Maddening experience to start our trip. Almost cost me bail money. Despite repeated attempts to reconcile with Iberia and AA after the trip they offered us nothing. Guess I need a twitter account with x number of followers to get their attention. Still steamed about that.

In Barcelona, took taxi from airport to hotel near transit stop, used mass transit to move around afterwards. Visited and toured Sagrada Familia, lots of Gaudi buildings and early subdivision, Barcelona music hall, took day trip via train out to the Montserrat Monastery, did several walking tours, ate lots of good food and drink my share of fresh Sangria,

Sagrada Familia has been under construction for 600 years. Funded by public donations. Barcelona finally issued a building permit June 2019. Loved all the public courtyards surrounded by shops and restaurants and the history there. Enjoyed the tapas and wine.

We flew Norwegian Air Barcelona to Oslo to Stavanger on the SE coast of Norway. Home to lots of offshore oil service companies, lot of N Sea oil wealth in Norway sovereign wealth fund and Norwegian economy. The roads reminded me of the Hana Highway when they would narrow down to a single 16' wide lane for no other reason than there was a tree in the way. takes a long time to go nto very far in Norway. Average 15 - 20 mph when you throw in the ferry crossings, which are just part of the road network like we have bridges. Fjords are too deep to bridge unless very close together.

We spent three nights at an air BNB in a little town with ferry stop called Forsand. Great people, not as warm and welcoming as the people we met in Barcelona, but very hard working and accommodating when things went wrong. Our flight from Oslo to Stavanger was delayed and the Hertz manager stayed 2 hours late to wait on us.

We had plans to do hike up to Kjeragbolten (rock stuck between two sheer cliffs) but the weather did not cooperate and we didn't want to hike in that steady rain. This and Pulpit Rock aka Preikestolen are on the same fjord (Lysefjord) that Forsand is on so we took a ferry (without car) from Forsand to Lysebotn (little town in pic with outrageous rainbow that popped when the ferry was docked there) which is the town at the end of the fjord. Wife decided she want to hike the Flam 4444 which is 4444 stairs along a hydropipe to the top of a hill. I passed, drank beer with my new german friend on the ferry, took some pictures in between the rain showers, and circled back by on the return journey to pick her up later.

We did get one good day of weather and did the "off the beaten trail" hike up over Pulpit Rock and then down to Pulpit Rock. Nice hike, wish I would have had waterproof boots. Some places where you could not fall or you were likely dead when you stopped. Don't like heights but our guide got us all through it safely. Day was sunny but hazy from previous days rains.

https://outdoorlifenorway.com/preikestolen-hike-off-the-beaten-track/

We left Stavanger Norway and drove to Bergen. 140 miles, 6.5 hours...no real highways in Norway, lots of ferries. Normal drive times just do not apply to getting around Norway.

Stayed in Bergen for 3 nights, first day just explored Bergen, learned about the Hanseatic league which I had never really heard of before but controlled trade across Europe for a couple of hundred years. Bergan was one of their four main trade centers due to the amount of fish traded out of Norway. Bergen is also home to more north sea oil fleet ships. Really like the town but that was during the summer. Lot of history there. Very expensive parking tickets there. Parked in a 2 hour max spot (signed in Norwegian) for 2 hours, 20 minutes. $90 parking ticket. Parking tickets must be paid from a Norweigan bank account or wait until car rental company pays it and then you pay the rental company an extra fee on top of the cost of the ticket. I was fortuante that our BNB host was willing to pay the ticket for me and I just reimbursed him.

Big excursion day for us was "Norway in a day" tour. Train from Bergen to Myrdal where we changed trains to one of the steepest rails in the world (Flamsbaden) to get to the Berkevam stop where we departed. At this point we got on our mountain bikes for a downhill ride through a valley with amazing scenery with waterfalls everywhere. At the bottom of the ride a shuttle bus picked us up and took us to Flam. Flam is at the end of a narrow but deep fjord where the cruise ships can pull right up to shore. At Flåm, we swapped the bikes for a boat, in the form of a Fast RIB boat on a fjord Safari round to Gudvangen. Everyone had to suit up in snowmobile type suts for the fjord Safari. This is a journey through World Heritage areas of Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord to the village of Gudvangen. From Gudvangen we went to Voss to have lunch and then do some great whitewater rafting before a train ride back to Bergen

Took the train from Bergen to Oslo and hopped on Norwegian air flight to Dublin. Loved Dublin. Entire city is no taller than 3 stories. Recently passed an ordinance to allow structures taller than 3 stories to help add residential units to try and help with cost of rent in Dublin. Did a full day walking tour around Dublin that was great. Visited Trinity College, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Irish rock and roll hall of fame, and the Temple Bar among other areas. When I think of Ireland I think of old country but the country didn't receive independence from Britain until 100 years ago so a relatively young country from that standpoint.

Only spent 1 night in Dublin before heading to Killarney and spending 4 nights there. Killarney was a neat town with lots of good restaurants and pubs. Surprised at the number of 5 star accommodations there. We did a BNB in a 2500 SF house just outside of town that was cheaper than a room in town. Going to do a stopover in Dublin next summer just to spend a Friday night doing a pub tour with our walking guide.

Driving in Ireland was a thrill, left side of very narrow roads in lots of places sharing the narrow road with big trucks and farm equipment in many places, stick shift using right hand to shift took some time to get used to. Small motor, high rev, lots of slot car racing driving there. Surprised at how sparsely populated Ireland was. Density is only 10% +/- of what England is. Killarney area was nice but underwhelming scenery after having been to Norway. Good restaurants and pubs in Killarney. Did the Ring of Kerry drive and stops one day, did a day visiting castles (Rocks of Cashel, Cahir Castle, and Blarney Castle), and spent a day at the Cliffs of Moher where I finally found some light to get some decent photos.

Wife and daughters kissed the Blarney Stone which required a bit of flexibility and support form staff members but I passed. Thousands of people daily line up to put their lips on a rock. Entertaining but not for me.

Cliffs of Moher were amazing. Thousand and thousands of people on narrow trail along 1000 foot tall cliffs with cattle grazing in fields just inland of the fences that define the landside limits of the trails

Took AA flight from Dublin back to Dallas with wife and I in first, overnighted at DFW before catching early am flight back to SW Florida and return to reality. Headed to London next summer for a week for first time ever and then 10 days in Scotland before a short stop in Dublin to meet our walking tour guide for what I hope to be an epic night of pub crawling and Irsih music.

Used Avios points (wife and I in first) and AA miles (kids in coach) for flgihts from MIA to BCN and AA miles for flights from DUB to RSW. IHG points/free nights for Barcelona and Dublin, Marriott free nights for DFW overnight. Citipoints for car rentals in Ireland and Norway. Paid cash for BNB's in Norway and Ireland

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Family of 5 Trip Barcelona, Norway, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
wow what a story in the airport . how did u take the pictures it looks amazing and thanks for the write up .

Offline g8trgr8t

• View Profile
    • My Albums
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:31:49 PM »
Used a canon 7D and my Galaxy S-8. Didn't have many sunny days at all and forgot my 6D which does much better in low light and urban settings like inside the churches. Full frame 6D would have also helped in the churches to get wider angles instead of the 7D. First world problems  :)

Worst start to a trip ever for us. No love for Iberia or their gate agents in Miami. Iberia gate agent in Madrid where we connected couldn't believe my story when we told them how we were treated in Miami. Said they would have had no problem letting us board without the exact CC I paid taxes with and US Customs agent in Dublin said we wouldn't have had any problems getting back to US with 89 days left on passports. Dublin is one of the airports where you clear US customs at departure so when we landed in DFW we deplaned at domestic terminal. Ultimately my fault (or wife who was in charge of passports) for not verifying 90 day requirement. Input all info into Iberia and AA and neither airline said boo about not having enough time left so wife thought we were good to go. Never again. Hate service at MIA but love all the directs from there. Glad FLL is adding more flights so we can avoid MIA when possible.

The Iberia flight we couldn't get on was overbooked the day of our original flight and the next day when I checked it. I still think that is why they denied us boarding. What were 30k each AA mile economy tickets for Iberia flight for kids MIA -MAD- BCN changed to 110k each to get them to BCN on AA metal the next day. 240k AA miles they got back the easy way I guess. That still stings to think about. Having to fly economy to London on AA next summer since we lost all those miles. I guess I should just be thankful that Citi really likes me and the Citi gravy train is still paying off for me.

other albums at the root directory if you like travel pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85268984@N02/albums

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:35:03 PM by g8trgr8t »

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
Nice TR!  Gave us your itinerary and your impressions.
Great scenery. Your pictures are really well done!
Thanks.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online lakewood34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:09:04 AM »
Used a canon 7D and my Galaxy S-8. Didn't have many sunny days at all and forgot my 6D which does much better in low light and urban settings like inside the churches. Full frame 6D would have also helped in the churches to get wider angles instead of the 7D. First world problems  :)

Worst start to a trip ever for us. No love for Iberia or their gate agents in Miami. Iberia gate agent in Madrid where we connected couldn't believe my story when we told them how we were treated in Miami. Said they would have had no problem letting us board without the exact CC I paid taxes with and US Customs agent in Dublin said we wouldn't have had any problems getting back to US with 89 days left on passports. Dublin is one of the airports where you clear US customs at departure so when we landed in DFW we deplaned at domestic terminal. Ultimately my fault (or wife who was in charge of passports) for not verifying 90 day requirement. Input all info into Iberia and AA and neither airline said boo about not having enough time left so wife thought we were good to go. Never again. Hate service at MIA but love all the directs from there. Glad FLL is adding more flights so we can avoid MIA when possible.

The Iberia flight we couldn't get on was overbooked the day of our original flight and the next day when I checked it. I still think that is why they denied us boarding. What were 30k each AA mile economy tickets for Iberia flight for kids MIA -MAD- BCN changed to 110k each to get them to BCN on AA metal the next day. 240k AA miles they got back the easy way I guess. That still stings to think about. Having to fly economy to London on AA next summer since we lost all those miles. I guess I should just be thankful that Citi really likes me and the Citi gravy train is still paying off for me.

other albums at the root directory if you like travel pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85268984@N02/albums

weird i flew iberia and i don't remember having to give a credit card to get a boarding pass i just checked in online and printed a boarding pass from my computer
iberia is known to require 90 days fro a passport but if its 89 days they should have let it go
wow does your phone take nice pictures

Offline g8trgr8t

• View Profile
    • My Albums
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »
weird i flew iberia and i don't remember having to give a credit card to get a boarding pass i just checked in online and printed a boarding pass from my computer
iberia is known to require 90 days fro a passport but if its 89 days they should have let it go
wow does your phone take nice pictures

Iberia said that it was a restriction put on my ticket since it was my first flight with Iberia and I used avios points to book it. Not sure what having the exact credit card accomplishes other than jamming me up. Claimed that there was a notification at time of booking. I do not recall that and was shocked that it wasn't mentioned in any of the email communications received from Iberia anywhere. I had multiple forms of ID that matched the information on my Iberia account that I pulled the avios from and ability to show them the account of the British Airways CC I used to pay the taxes with. Still think they were looking for any reason to deny people boarding because the flight was overbooked. Surprised/irritated that the airline didn't flag it when we entered the passport data into the traveler info. Live and learn but expensive lesson.

Some pics from phone, most from Canon 7D that needs a good cleaning/service after everything I have drug that camera through. Glad you enjoyed them.

Note on passport restrictions - We had travelled to Belize a few months earlier. They indicate 6 months required. My wife's passport expired 3 days after we returned and we had no problems so I guess that is why she didn't think that 89 days would be a problem on a 90 day rule.

itinerary

Day 1 - Drive Naples to MIA, fight with Iberia. lose. Overnight MIA, get new passports, rearrange flights
Day 2    night flight MIA - MAD - BCN, stay HI Express in BCN, arrive midday, tour Sagrada Famila in the PM
Day 3 -  Walking tours, hop on, hop off bus tour around Barcelona
Day 4 -  Day trip to Montserrat, train up and back, visit monastery, do some hiking there
Day 5 -  Flight to Oslo - Stavanger, drive Stavanger to Forsand Air BNB
Day 6 -  Watch the rain fall, take ferry from Forsand up to head of fjord and back, wife hiked Flam 4444
Day 7 -  More rain, - Car tour Forsand to Egersund back to Stavanger, explore Stavanger and N Sea Oil Museum
Day 8 -  Hike Pulpit Rock, drive to Bergen Air BNB
Day 9 -  Walking tours, shop, dine, relax in Bergen (tried Orca sausage at City market, not impressed)
Day 10 - Norway in a day tour (train, bike, bus, boat, bus, rafting, train)
Day 11 - Drive out and visit Stave Church in Hopperstad, do some hiking in the hills above Hopperstad
Day 12 - Train from Bergen to Oslo, flight to Dublin, walking tour Dublin, stay Marriott in Dublin
Day 13 - Second walking tour Dublin, drive to Killarney Air BNB
Day 14 - Drive Ring of Kerry with 5 stops along the route, explore Killarney
Day 15 - Visit castles west/south of Killarney, guided pub tour Killarney
Day 16 - Visit Cliffs of Moher
Day 17 - Drive back to Dublin, fly DUB - DFW, overnight DFW
Day 18 - Fly DFW - RSW, begin long and fruitless debate with Iberia / American to try and recover some miles

Note on driving around Dublin. One of the toll roads there (M50) has to be paid by 8 PM the day after your travel or penalties begin to accrue. You have to recall how many times you passed the toll cameras as the system doesn't tell you and if you don't pick the right number of times you drove past the toll station penalties will accrue. At least you can pay with CC unlike the parking tickets in Bergen that required a Norweigian bank acocunt to pay

https://www.tripsavvy.com/dublins-m50-road-tolls-1542998

Impressions -
Iberia Airline customer service in Miami is worst and the most unexpected expensive airline experience I have ever had. Flight was good, good wine selection in first, decent dinner. We picked Spain as our first stop due to the best value first flights to Europe were the MIA - MAD Iberia flights. Chose Barcelona over Madrid as it seemed to have much more to offer.

Barcelona mass transit was good, food and wine was moderately priced and good, friendly people. Love the walking tours, very infomative, one of our favorite things to do in urban visits.

Norway - great scenery, accomodating people, expensive dining $120 for lunch for 5, $200 for dinner for 5. Surprised at lack of wildlife and drive times even though I had been warned about drive times. Ferries easy to use. Weather impacted us more than I had hoped. Norway in a day tour was great but expensive ($2300 for 5), rafting in Voss was great

Ireland - Loved Dublin, very welcoming/friendly people with postive attitudes. Library at Trinity College was impressive. Surprised at how sparsely populated the country is. Killarney had lots of good restaurants and pubs. As a regualr visitor to Alaska (family there) and having explored most of the great national parks in the US the scenery that we toured was not impressive other than Cliffs of Moher. Enjoyed the castle visits and would pick Blarney Castle if I only had time for one. Dublin walking tours were very informative.

Car rental insurance in Ireland is a ripoff. Citipoints rep said I was covered when I arranged rental but Eurocar would not give me car until I agreed to pay and agent only offered no deductable policy. After 12 hour day of traveling I capitulated and just signed the agreement after being on hold for 45 minutes with Citipoins reps transferring me around in circles. Seriously considerd side swiping a wall or two to get my money worth but figured there was likely some language in there that would have added much additional cost if any damage occurred ( and wife would have not been happy). The insurance costs more than the rental. Every credit card that I checked afterwards exclude Ireland in their car rental insurance coverage. Food prices not as high as Norway but more than Spain or at home in the US

Going through US customs in Dublin was great, much better than waiting on customs stateside after long flight.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:06:24 PM by g8trgr8t »

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 04:37:06 PM »
I checked out some of other Trips on Flicker. u travel allot all looks amazing .

Offline g8trgr8t

• View Profile
    • My Albums
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »
I checked out some of other Trips on Flicker. u travel allot all looks amazing .

thank you. travel is our passion, wish we could afford to do more. churning pays for most of it but the churning gods have not been kind with all their new rules lately. we made a decision early on to try and travel while the kids were still with us and we were still physically able to get out and do the walks, hikes and diving that get you to the places that are far enough away from the parking lot to be able to get away from the crowds. Most of our travel has been in the US other than Oz/Tahiti trip which was a graduation present for our 2 daughters that graduated together and the trip last summer to Barcelona, Norway, Ireland.

I found Dans Deals in pursuit of travel savings and am grateful for it. 7 night Marriott Cert is only way we could afford to do 7 days in London next summer ($1100 for cert versus $4k rack rate)and flights are covered with miles from churning. For the Oz trip, I added it all up and we saved nearly $70k in costs using miles and free night certs on that trip. No way we could have taken that trip without it. Favorite areas so far have been the SW (Utah/Arizona), Canadian Rockies, Brooks Falls in Alaska to watch the brown bears fish,and Australia/Tahiti. Have ben very fortunate to visit some remarkable limited access places such as the Wave and Lake O'Hara. If I could quit my real job and just do travel blogging and photography I would do it in a minute now that the kids are in college.

Headed to Costa Rica (Los Suenos) in December after xmas, Grand Cayman for spring break in March, Alaska in June to visit mother-in-law again, and London/Scotland in July. Blessed to be able to have the opportunity to do so and share it with my family.  Still learning on the underwater photography but hope to get some good dive picks in Grand Cayman this year. Wish I would have had a better dive camera in Oz.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:45:59 PM by g8trgr8t »

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 09:36:15 AM »
thank you. travel is our passion, wish we could afford to do more. churning pays for most of it but the churning gods have not been kind with all their new rules lately. we made a decision early on to try and travel while the kids were still with us and we were still physically able to get out and do the walks, hikes and diving that get you to the places that are far enough away from the parking lot to be able to get away from the crowds. Most of our travel has been in the US other than Oz/Tahiti trip which was a graduation present for our 2 daughters that graduated together and the trip last summer to Barcelona, Norway, Ireland.

I found Dans Deals in pursuit of travel savings and am grateful for it. 7 night Marriott Cert is only way we could afford to do 7 days in London next summer ($1100 for cert versus $4k rack rate)and flights are covered with miles from churning. For the Oz trip, I added it all up and we saved nearly $70k in costs using miles and free night certs on that trip. No way we could have taken that trip without it. Favorite areas so far have been the SW (Utah/Arizona), Canadian Rockies, Brooks Falls in Alaska to watch the brown bears fish,and Australia/Tahiti. Have ben very fortunate to visit some remarkable limited access places such as the Wave and Lake O'Hara. If I could quit my real job and just do travel blogging and photography I would do it in a minute now that the kids are in college.

Headed to Costa Rica (Los Suenos) in December after xmas, Grand Cayman for spring break in March, Alaska in June to visit mother-in-law again, and London/Scotland in July. Blessed to be able to have the opportunity to do so and share it with my family.  Still learning on the underwater photography but hope to get some good dive picks in Grand Cayman this year. Wish I would have had a better dive camera in Oz.
wow I also travel allot thanks to Dans and all the points I have but its hard to take out the kids from school so much .I would love to go to Alaska but its Expensive and points does not help to much . by the way I am from London so u should have a great time there . 

Offline g8trgr8t

• View Profile
    • My Albums
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »
wow I also travel allot thanks to Dans and all the points I have but its hard to take out the kids from school so much .I would love to go to Alaska but its Expensive and points does not help to much . by the way I am from London so u should have a great time there .

We only travel when kids are out of school. Flights to/from Alaska with miles, Best Western points in Seward, Marriott or Hilton in Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks, discount books with lots of 2 for 1 lodging and/or discounts on excursions, points used as cash or cash from bank account bonuses for other things help defray Alaska costs for some. Having a free place to stay with family and a free car to drive makes it possible for us and it is still expensive when we start adding some of the excursions. We do lots of hiking and that is free, bus tours into Denali are economical, and there are budget accommodations if you look and are flexible. Personally I am more comfortable on a trail with a grizzly or a moose than in the big city trying to figure out a subway line or bus route in a town I don't know, but part of growth is learning to prosper outside your comfort zone so off to London we will go.

PM me with your email if you want more tips on how to do Alaska without the whole cruise thing. Crazy busy at work these days so forgive me if I don't respond promptly. Not a cruise fan although we did do the inner passage on the Alaskan Ferry system one year.

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 12:45:02 AM »
Wow...I’m super upset. Just reading your Iberia experience and I think I will avoid them just based on your experience. I think I would have cried and gone home and given up...

Offline g8trgr8t

• View Profile
    • My Albums
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 01:25:53 PM »
Wow...I’m super upset. Just reading your Iberia experience and I think I will avoid them just based on your experience. I think I would have cried and gone home and given up...

Not in my nature to give up and it was a good chance to teach kids (19, 17, 14) a lesson in crisis management. I originally felt it was just MIA staff as that is one of the worst airports from a customer service standpoint I deal with. Then when I followed up with corporate Iberia it became apparent that it was going nowhere, especially when the majority of my additional cost was in AA miles required to rebook kids flights. Iberia may be a fine airline when everything goes smooth but they had a chance to apply some common sense and chose not to do so and then doubled down when they refused to discuss any sort of offsetting adjustment (avios to my account). I may fly them again just because they offer cheapest biz flights to Europe from our area but it won't be anytime soon. that scar is going to take some time to heal.