Author Topic: Lyft rides from hell  (Read 8822 times)

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Lyft rides from hell
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 11:22:05 PM »
Right car, wrong driver. I don't know if she thought I wouldn't notice but the driver didn't say anything during the ride. Not even hello, I suppose so I wouldn't notice she was female and the driver listed was male.

Offline chief_mag

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 11:29:14 PM »
Right car, wrong driver. I don't know if she thought I wouldn't notice but the driver didn't say anything during the ride. Not even hello, I suppose so I wouldn't notice she was female and the driver listed was male.
Hope you reported it.
My first time riding with Lyft, the guy picked me up in a car that was different than the one registered to his account. I was on the way to the airport so I just went with it (probably not the smartest move). Filed a complaint and was fully refunded + given some credits.

Offline Z56

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 12:33:11 AM »
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 06:56:02 AM »

I did report it, but it's not enough to kick them off, they just warn the driver

Offline shwarmabob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 09:43:46 AM »
complain to Lyft. They may refund your ride which of course doesn't help with your missed flight.
I filed a complaint before when the driver took a much longer indirect route. They refunded the difference without any questions.

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
Correct. Most drivers (I think there are exceptions for elite tiers) can’t tell if you are going from Coney Island Ave to Ocean parkway, or heading to Hartford Connecticut. That info is hidden from them until they show up at your pickup location. Uber and Lyft do this to stop drivers from cherry picking the profitable long hauls and declining the short trips which don’t really make decent money, or refusing requests that end up in the ghetto.

They recently started introducing options to filter rides to accept only those in the general direction the driver is heading, and I think they are rolling out an option to set up a time that the driver has to end up back in his location ( previously a driver could get stuck with a 2 hour drive in the wrong direction right when he was about to end his day) but the bottom line is that the driver showing up by your door has no clue as to what to expect.
the way it works with Uber is , until you take X amount of rides, your at one status. When you reach a certain status you can see how long the ride is. The feature your talking about is you can set a destination and accept rides going to that area. This is limited to an amount per day. Also , until you’ve actually hit the  picked up passenger button, you can still cancel without risking backlash.  Source: I’ve been an Uber driver bein hazmanim :)

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 01:04:29 AM »
Got a lyft ride today to the airport. Rude driver with his seat all the way back so no leg room. Music blaring and windows open. Halfway to the airport he let off a few choice expletives and started slowing down. At first I thought we were getting pulled over but nope we were just out of gas. What an idiot. His excuse was everytime he was headed to the gas station he got another ride request. I couldn't call another Lyft on my phone since I was officially still in middle of my ride. Uber didnt work either no one was picking us up on a highway. I jumped out and started flagging down help. A taxi pulled over and we made it to the airport for our flight!
Now lyft cant even pull up the ride from my account... what can I even ask for? Would they pay for my new taxi to the airport?

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »
Got a lyft ride today to the airport. Rude driver with his seat all the way back so no leg room. Music blaring and windows open. Halfway to the airport he let off a few choice expletives and started slowing down. At first I thought we were getting pulled over but nope we were just out of gas. What an idiot. His excuse was everytime he was headed to the gas station he got another ride request. I couldn't call another Lyft on my phone since I was officially still in middle of my ride. Uber didnt work either no one was picking us up on a highway. I jumped out and started flagging down help. A taxi pulled over and we made it to the airport for our flight!
Now lyft cant even pull up the ride from my account... what can I even ask for? Would they pay for my new taxi to the airport?

Wow that's nuts!

They should compensate you

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »
It seems to me like these horror stories are mostly (exclusively?) outside of NYC.

In NYC Lyft and Uber drivers and cars are registered and licensed by the Taxi and Limousine Commission.

My worst (recent) Uber experience was seeing a driver being around the corner, coming out only to realize that the driver didn't turn onto my block. Thinking that he inadvertently missed the turn, I followed him going around, and thought he'd be here a minute or two later after driving around the block, but then I saw him missing the turn to go around the block too, so I just had to cancel and order a different one, and then requested and received a refund of the cancellation fee.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
Never really had any issues in ORD, usually find Lyft to be cheaper though. Was once in Lakewood and needed a ride to PHL in the wee hours of the morning. After waiting 20+min for an Uber driver, he refused to take us because it was too far. After explaining the situation, and telling him we'd likely miss our flight, he agreed to take us but needed to stop for gas. I think he genuinely felt bad. I was once in an Uber after a Superbowl party, and was completely wasted. The guy was going off about how he hated some of his passengers and how when people use promos he gets paid less (I was using a promo) and he was pretty descriptive of how he would like to rip out some passengers eye balls and kill them with some select items in his trunk. Was mildly nervous, but was too drunk to care, and gave him 5 stars because I had a good laugh. In hindsight, he was probably not a safe individual.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2020, 11:20:32 PM »
Wow that's nuts!

They should compensate you
Nada. $5 promo is all they can do. She quoted the terms and conditions how they aren't responsible for things like this happening.

Offline chief_mag

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 01:48:33 PM »
Ordered an Uber recently. When I walked up to the car, the driver saw I was (very clearly) Jewish and he sped off, nearly running over my foot. He canceled after that, when he got to a red light, right around the corner.

I tried to see if there was another reason to it, but can't think of one. I was wearing a mask, and was waiting outside for him. He had barely stopped when I walked up to the car.

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
Ordered an Uber recently. When I walked up to the car, the driver saw I was (very clearly) Jewish and he sped off, nearly running over my foot. He canceled after that, when he got to a red light, right around the corner.

I tried to see if there was another reason to it, but can't think of one. I was wearing a mask, and was waiting outside for him. He had barely stopped when I walked up to the car.

Wow. What did Uber have to say about it?

Offline chief_mag

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 01:55:04 PM »
Wow. What did Uber have to say about it?
They called me and asked me to clarify the story.
Then emailed me a standard response. We look into these incidents carefully and have a Zero discrimination policy... thank you for bringing this to our attention... etc etc.

Offline mclovin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
it might have been bec you are jewish or might not.

Offline chief_mag

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »
it might have been bec you are jewish or might not.
Definitely true.

Still a ride (or lack thereof) from hell, being that he almost ran over my foot.