Author Topic: Lyft rides from hell  (Read 8603 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Lyft rides from hell
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:31:28 PM »
I've had it with Lyft. Today I missed a flight because my driver needed to get gas when he picked me up ugh WTF! I wasn't thinking, figured it would be faster than getting another ride!

This is the second ride from hell with Lyft. Why don't I have any recourse?!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Lyft rides from hell
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
So, let me get this straight:

You were so rushed to get to the airport that a fuel stop caused you to miss your flight, but you nonetheless got in the car with him, despite knowing he needed to get gas.

That, my friend, is what we call a "you problem."

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
So, let me get this straight:

You were so rushed to get to the airport that a fuel stop caused you to miss your flight, but you nonetheless got in the car with him, despite knowing he needed to get gas.

That, my friend, is what we call a "you problem."

No, he only told me as we were about half a block away. I summarized that going back or getting off and calling another Lyft and waiting 5-7 mjn would take longer.

Why the heck is it my problem? Should I have left earlier? Probably but that doesn't change the story line.

He gets to station, he  goes inside to pay. He pumps slow AF because he wants to be 5$ exactly.

He also didn't take the correct perimeter road to FLL that his navigation told him.

I also think they closed the gates early. I cleared pre check in 45 seconds and was at the gate 3 minutes after being dropped off.

But I really don't think that addresses the issue. Why is a Lyft driver not filling up? My only response might be that he's short on cash hence $5 fill and I feel bad for him but I'm pretty pissed too

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
I've had it with Lyft. Today I missed a flight because my driver needed to get gas when he picked me up ugh WTF! I wasn't thinking, figured it would be faster than getting another ride!

This is the second ride from hell with Lyft. Why don't I have any recourse?!
why Lyft? It can happen with any Uber or any taxi

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
My other story is even crazier when the Lyft driver tried to dump me off 3 miles from my house at 4am and I refused and he called the cops

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 07:15:16 PM »
why Lyft? It can happen with any Uber or any taxi

I've mostly had bad experiences with Lyft, less so Uber.

Taxi sure, that's what Lyft draw is, transparency.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 07:19:31 PM »
I've mostly had bad experiences with Lyft, less so Uber.
Same.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 07:24:08 PM »
No, he only told me as we were about half a block away. I summarized that going back or getting off and calling another Lyft and waiting 5-7 mjn would take longer.

Why the heck is it my problem? Should I have left earlier? Probably but that doesn't change the story line.

He gets to station, he  goes inside to pay. He pumps slow AF because he wants to be 5$ exactly.

He also didn't take the correct perimeter road to FLL that his navigation told him.

I also think they closed the gates early. I cleared pre check in 45 seconds and was at the gate 3 minutes after being dropped off.

But I really don't think that addresses the issue. Why is a Lyft driver not filling up? My only response might be that he's short on cash hence $5 fill and I feel bad for him but I'm pretty pissed too

That’s strange- my relative had almost the same issue last year. I don’t remember if it was Lyft or Uber ( I think it was Lyft) going from Lakewood to Amtrak in Philly. Halfway there the driver says he’s out of gas and goes to a gas station but they only take credit and he wants to pay cash ( maybe it was the other way around? don’t remember ). Finally stops by another gas station and gets five dollars worth of gas and then needs gas again just before getting to Philly. While filling up he steps out to use the restroom which in retrospect is perhaps why he orchestrated two gas stops. Then he takes a slightly circuitous route and get stuck in rush-hour traffic. By the time my relative got to the station it was too late for an important meeting. Nightmare.
 Then at the end he says to my relative, please give me five stars !!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:33:00 PM by Yard sale »

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
On the other hand, my lyft driver (in lakewood) couldn't figure out why he was so busy today.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 07:29:40 PM »
That’s strange- my relative had almost the same issue last year. I don’t remember if it was Lyft or Uber ( I think it was Lyft) going from Lakewood to Amtrak in Philly. Halfway there the driver says he’s out of gas and goes to a gas station but they only take credit and he wants to pay cash ( maybe it was the other way around? don’t remember ). Finally stops by another gas station and gets five dollars worth of gas and then needs gas again just before getting to Philly. While filling up he steps out to use the restroom which in retrospect is perhaps why he orchestrated two gas stops. Then he takes a slightly circuitous route and get stuck in rush-hour traffic. By the time my relative got to the station it was too late for an important meeting. Nightmare.

Ouch! I'm on the next flight, leaving at 8:50 instead of 3:50.. will get to NC at 11 instead of 6. Sucks and I'm too tired to go home and return so I've been in the airport all day.

I live in a residential area, that if you're going to FLL, getting gas is totally out of the way. 

Also, the destination was put in, the guy took a ride to the airport all while on an empty tank?;

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 07:32:43 PM »
Does the amount they get go up for being "stuck in traffic"?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 07:37:48 PM »
I’m reading this thread as I sit in my free Lyft ride

Online TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:04 PM »
My other story is even crazier when the Lyft driver tried to dump me off 3 miles from my house at 4am and I refused and he called the cops
Did you enter the wrong location ?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »
Did you enter the wrong location ?

Was a party, cousin called the Lyft, put my address in as first stop then his as destination

Lyft driver goes to my cousin, tried to end trip, cousin was like no you gotta take him home, so supposedly he updated the destination

He then drove 1 mile in the other direction, tries dropping me off at a car dealership at 2 or 3am. I said uh no, I repeated my address.

My phone was off so short of walking 2 miles home, I insisted he take me home.. he makes a call, I figure he's calling Lyft.

7 police cars show up!! Wowza.. I'm like uhh what's up officers, they requested id, I gave them

Officer "sir have you been drinking? " Oh absolutely yes officer, that's why we did the sensible thing and took Lyft.

Cop says that the driver claims my cousin cancelled the ride.. what utter bogus crap.

They called a taxi for me and that was a rip off.

Sorry but Lyft and Uber etc need a contract of carrier.  They can't be just dumping people off in middle of nowhere. What if it was a bad neighborhood?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
I’m reading this thread as I sit in my free Lyft ride
Lol, +1

Offline ttn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »
I had a uber driver fall asleep at the wheel. Was going to the airport at 4am, she went over the curb and onto the island grass at a roundabout.

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
Was a party, cousin called the Lyft, put my address in as first stop then his as destination

Lyft driver goes to my cousin, tried to end trip, cousin was like no you gotta take him home, so supposedly he updated the destination

He then drove 1 mile in the other direction, tries dropping me off at a car dealership at 2 or 3am. I said uh no, I repeated my address.

My phone was off so short of walking 2 miles home, I insisted he take me home.. he makes a call, I figure he's calling Lyft.

7 police cars show up!! Wowza.. I'm like uhh what's up officers, they requested id, I gave them

Officer "sir have you been drinking? " Oh absolutely yes officer, that's why we did the sensible thing and took Lyft.

Cop says that the driver claims my cousin cancelled the ride.. what utter bogus crap.

They called a taxi for me and that was a rip off.

Sorry but Lyft and Uber etc need a contract of carrier.  They can't be just dumping people off in middle of nowhere. What if it was a bad neighborhood?
Well at least you got a good story out of it. Not exactly the same but you remind me of a joke that went around on whatsapp one year....

This holiday season let's be careful. Last night I went to a Christmas party.  I had a few eggnogs, followed by some beers, a few cocktails, and then of course a few shots.
I still had the sense to know I was over the limit. That's when I decided to do what I've never done before: I took a cab home.

Sure enough, there was a police road block on the way home, and since it was a cab, they waived it past.  I arrived home safely with no incident.  This was both a relief and a surprise because I had never driven a cab before.  I don't even remember where I got it, and now that it's in my garage, I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 09:03:23 PM »
Also, the destination was put in, the guy took a ride to the airport all while on an empty tank?;

The driver doesn't know where you're going until you get in the car, AFAIK.

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 09:36:52 PM »
makes sense. A few times drivers called me to ask where I'm headed to before they arrived.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 09:38:48 PM »

Correct. Most drivers (I think there are exceptions for elite tiers) can’t tell if you are going from Coney Island Ave to Ocean parkway, or heading to Hartford Connecticut. That info is hidden from them until they show up at your pickup location. Uber and Lyft do this to stop drivers from cherry picking the profitable long hauls and declining the short trips which don’t really make decent money, or refusing requests that end up in the ghetto.

They recently started introducing options to filter rides to accept only those in the general direction the driver is heading, and I think they are rolling out an option to set up a time that the driver has to end up back in his location ( previously a driver could get stuck with a 2 hour drive in the wrong direction right when he was about to end his day) but the bottom line is that the driver showing up by your door has no clue as to what to expect.