Author Topic: Hyperloop  (Read 3075 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8015
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Hyperloop
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
From a highly biased group?

Wow, total hit piece.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 12:41:09 AM »
Wake me up when this happens.
What about when September ends?

What about inside?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2019, 02:03:30 PM »
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/12/benefits-would-justify-298-billion-cost-of-cleveland-hyperloop-line-according-to-study-to-be-unveiled-monday.html

Those statements are among the key assertions of an 18-month, $1.3 million feasibility analysis scheduled for release Monday by the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency and Los Angeles-based Hyperloop Transportation Technologies
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
I'm so confused. They don't have a working prototype at even half the speeds they are talking about here
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »
I'm so confused. They don't have a working prototype at even half the speeds they are talking about here

It ain't called Hyperloop for nothing. Lots of hype going around in a loop.
-- Dan

Online Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
It ain't called Hyperloop for nothing. Lots of hype going around in a loop.
I think your sensationalism is still annoying. I think you would have said the same thing about electric cars 3 years ago.
I think this very well may be the future of travel, however, 2028 seems extremely unlikely

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »
I think your sensationalism is still annoying. I think you would have said the same thing about electric cars 3 years ago.
I think this very well may be the future of travel, however, 2028 seems extremely unlikely

You're entitled to your thoughts, though I never thought of my comment as being sensationalist, realism would be more descriptive IMHO.

At least we can agree that 2028 is extremely unlikely. Can we also agree that autonomous cars and trucks are likely to become a reality before anything resembling hyperloop?

Would someone pointing out Jules Verne as science fiction been wrong at his time? I don't think Jules Verne himself might have thought differently. And while humans reaching the moon was almost 100 years after he published his novel, and the technology was much different, he certainly did seem to "predict" something.

I have no problem with the idea of Hyperloop, and maybe it might turn into reality at a certain point, and possibly there will be some other idea that will overtake it as more feasible, IDK. However talking about it as a reality that's around the corner and publishing a feasibility study that concludes that the benefits will justify the costs (when they don't even have an idea what the costs might be, since nothing similar was ever built) is nothing but hype in my dictionary.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »
You're entitled to your thoughts, though I never thought of my comment as being sensationalist, realism would be more descriptive IMHO.

At least we can agree that 2028 is extremely unlikely. Can we also agree that autonomous cars and trucks are likely to become a reality before anything resembling hyperloop?

Would someone pointing out Jules Verne as science fiction been wrong at his time? I don't think Jules Verne himself might have thought differently. And while humans reaching the moon was almost 100 years after he published his novel, and the technology was much different, he certainly did seem to "predict" something.

I have no problem with the idea of Hyperloop, and maybe it might turn into reality at a certain point, and possibly there will be some other idea that will overtake it as more feasible, IDK. However talking about it as a reality that's around the corner and publishing a feasibility study that concludes that the benefits will justify the costs (when they don't even have an idea what the costs might be, since nothing similar was ever built) is nothing but hype in my dictionary.
Of course autonomous cars are going to be a reality way before the Hyperloop, they are practically already here.
I don't think Hyperloop is a hundred or 50 years away. I think 15-20 years is very reasonable. As opposed to autonomous cars which are 5 years away and in 30 years kids will think it was crazy you ever drove a car

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »
:o
Just because things turned out a certain way doesn't mean you were right.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
Of course autonomous cars are going to be a reality way before the Hyperloop, they are practically already here.
I don't think Hyperloop is a hundred or 50 years away. I think 15-20 years is very reasonable. As opposed to autonomous cars which are 5 years away and in 30 years kids will think it was crazy you ever drove a car

As someone has been avidly following the advent of autonomous driving for many years, and have been fairly bullish on the timing of their arrival, i'm not sure if this is true. Self driving cars have had a number of setbacks in recent years and i'm starting to believe we may end up with more semi autonomous cars in the near term rather than fully autonomous. Too early to tell how smoothly Hyperloop's development is going to be, however i view their current (known) hurdles to be significantly smaller than fully autonomous "level 5" self driving .   

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
As someone has been avidly following the advent of autonomous driving for many years, and have been fairly bullish on the timing of their arrival, i'm not sure if this is true. Self driving cars have had a number of setbacks in recent years and i'm starting to believe we may end up with more semi autonomous cars in the near term rather than fully autonomous. Too early to tell how smoothly Hyperloop's development is going to be, however i view their current (known) hurdles to be significantly smaller than fully autonomous "level 5" self driving .   

IMHO one of the biggest roadblocks (no pun intended) to the widespread use of autonomous cars is the insurance/liability issue. That would have to be worked out before states start allowing these on public roads. It will require significant legislation, which will likely run way behind the technological advances.

And indeed, THAT specific MAJOR hurdle isn't an issue for hyperloop, where the hurdles are technological and economical.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 04:22:44 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan