Author Topic: Hyperloop  (Read 8402 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Hyperloop
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
Why? Someone hit by the Tesla is not bound by that.
So it would be the driver's fault.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »
So it would be the driver's fault.
Not totally. Tesla knows that "everyone" takes their hands off. It is still their algorithm which killed him. Any lawyer wrth his beans will go after Tesla and then it falls into the hands of the jury.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2019, 06:49:16 PM »
Speaking of moral dilemmas, I think it's moral for legislation to legalize and remove liability (in cases of no defects) from car companies and drivers of autonomous cars, even with the knowledge that they will kill people. It's for the greater public good in many ways, most importantly safety.

Re: the trolley problem, I think once again it's moral to legislate that 3 lives are more important than 1. Also, once it's programmed into the AI, I think it's actually better than pulling an actual lever to switch the tracks, as in this case, the car changing it's course to only kill 1 person is not pulling any levers and following what it's programmed to do.

Re: drivers/passengers lives vs pedestrians/other drivers, I think the car should place priority on it's own passengers instead of the other party which is likely to blame for the impending accident. But I'm not so confident in that this is the moral thing to do.

Then you can get much stickier and start measuring potential injuries (at worst) of passengers vs likely death of pedestrian, or 1 passenger vs 3 pedestrians, this stuff is all too much for me.
Visibly Jewish

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
this stuff is all too much for me.
you could have opened with that

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »
I think the public will understand that the longer autonomous vehicles are kept off the road, the more people will die in unnecessary accidents and that we will figure this out quickly

Wholeheartedly agree especially with the increase in distracted drivers due to smartphones/texting. However my opinion began to change as i realized, A - semiautonomous will already make the roads much safer, mitigating an imminent need to go fully autonmous (i.e. legislating human drivers off the road). B - Implementation is proving to be a bigger challenge then most companies anticipated. 

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »

Wholeheartedly agree especially with the increase in distracted drivers due to smartphones/texting. However my opinion began to change as i realized, A - semiautonomous will already make the roads much safer, mitigating an imminent need to go fully autonmous (i.e. legislating human drivers off the road). B - Implementation is proving to be a bigger challenge then most companies anticipated.

Interesting point. Even if they go to level 4 or 5 autonomous driving, you can still require the driver to pay attention, perhaps by way of requiring car companies to put all the features such as keeping on touching the wheel, and sensors to see if an individual driving fell asleep or is not paying attention.
That will help save lives with AI driving but also remove the liability somewhat from the car companies and allow a human to make the moral decisions they should hopefully never have to.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2019, 08:51:25 PM »
Even at Tesla's L3, it's very hard to concentrate on driving. Pretty much give the driving over to the car and hope for the best. So far so good
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2019, 11:39:58 PM »
Even at Tesla's L3, it's very hard to concentrate on driving. Pretty much give the driving over to the car and hope for the best. So far so good
Eventually, a lawyer is going to argue that in court.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2019, 02:26:38 AM »
The only issue with that, is there is no money in that as an end goal. The money is all in robotaxis. If the end goal is anywhere short of that, these companies don't stand to make any money, which will greatly hinder the investment they are making into these programs
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:30:02 AM by Ergel »
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
The only issue with that, is there is no money in that as an end goal. The money is all in robotaxis. If the end goal is anywhere short of that, these companies don't stand to make any money, which will greatly hinder the investment they are making into these programs

No doubt. In fact i'd say that collectively there has probably been north of 100 Billion dollars invested with that in mind. However i'm talking about from congress' perspective. Part of the reason i was so bullish on self driving cars is besides for the money, there was a-lot of congressional support. However that support has waned due to the aforementioned reasons.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »
Back to the Hyperloop debate:

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2019/12/16/cheer-up-clevelanders-the-ohare-express-is-dead-and-you-can-kill-the-hyperloop/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/transportation/ct-biz-hyperloop-chicago-cleveland-study-getting-around-20191216-ijqwcsadqjh65mrqe3bpfklqfa-story.html

Rick Harnish, executive director of the Midwest High Speed Rail Association, said he wishes transportation officials were looking at high-speed trains between Cleveland and Chicago, instead of an unproven technology.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:54:43 AM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
How much stock do you have in railroads?

Who takes quotes from competitors seriously?

AFAIK I have ZERO stock in railroads (I didn't check the holding of Mutual Funds that I own directly or indirectly). Did you read both articles or just the quote I brought from the second one?
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
Back to the Hyperloop debate:

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2019/12/16/cheer-up-clevelanders-the-ohare-express-is-dead-and-you-can-kill-the-hyperloop/

Same thing could have been said a decade ago about an electric car that can drive itself on highways being one of the top selling cars in the country.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
Same thing could have been said a decade ago about an electric car that can drive itself on highways being one of the top selling cars in the country.

Was there an economic feasibility study conducted on "an electric car that can drive itself on highways" conducted before the technology even existed?

As I said above, I am not a total skeptic, I think something might come about in the future. It might be similar to hyperloop or very different. But how is conducting a feasibility study before the technology exists anything but hype?
-- Dan

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
All I want to know is will my kids be able to take this from ORD to Aguda midwest this summer? They hate the bus

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2019, 01:35:56 PM »
All I want to know is will my kids be able to take this from ORD to Aguda midwest this summer? They hate the bus

Is that within The Loop?  ;)
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
All I want to know is will my GRANDkids be able to take this from ORD to Aguda midwest this summer? They hate the bus
FTFY

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
Is that within The Loop?  ;)

What else is on the east bank of lake michigan worth making into a stop?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan