Author Topic: Coffee Grinder  (Read 1128 times)

Offline AllEars

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Coffee Grinder
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »
Been wanting a coffee grinder for some time now. Never bought one before and I got a few bags of beans waiting on me.

Any recommendations? Haven't ever seen one posted on the website either.

Thanks 😊

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Grinder
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:05:18 PM »
Depends on how much of a coffee fanatic you are.

Some people just like having fresh ground beans. It definitely has a fresher taste, and the aroma of the grind is an added bonus.

That said, basic blade grinders do not grind the beans evenly. Some grinds come out large and some come out like dust. The blades also get hot and cook the beans. Many people don’t notice this and are just fine with it.

However, more advanced coffee drinkers find the uneven grinds to give off an odd, bitter taste. The solution is to buy a burr grinder. Burr grinders as well come in many levels, with the cheaper ones not grinding as evenly as the more advanced ones.

I personally found a $25 burr grinder on Amazon that works well for me, but the cream of the crop is the Baratza Encore, which runs for $139 if you have the extra cash and are in the mood of spending.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:01:29 PM »
I got a Mr Coffee burr grinder on Woot for $25 a while back (https://home.woot.com/offers/mr-coffee-burr-mill-grinder-18-custom-grinds-3). I grind on the coarsest setting for cold brew. While it's not super consistent, it's certainly good enough to produce a good batch of cold brew with not too much fines.

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:21:27 PM »
Depends on how much of a coffee fanatic you are.

Some people just like having fresh ground beans. It definitely has a fresher taste, and the aroma of the grind is an added bonus.

That said, basic blade grinders do not grind the beans evenly. Some grinds come out large and some come out like dust. The blades also get hot and cook the beans. Many people don’t notice this and are just fine with it.

However, more advanced coffee drinkers find the uneven grinds to give off an odd, bitter taste. The solution is to buy a burr grinder. Burr grinders as well come in many levels, with the cheaper ones not grinding as evenly as the more advanced ones.

I personally found a $25 burr grinder on Amazon that works well for me, but the cream of the crop is the Baratza Encore, which runs for $139 if you have the extra cash and are in the mood of spending.
respect to your knowledge

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »
Been wanting a coffee grinder for some time now. Never bought one before and I got a few bags of beans waiting on me.

Any recommendations? Haven't ever seen one posted on the website either.

Thanks 😊
Supreme Grind 8 oz. Stainless Steel Burr Coffee Grinder with Adjustable Settings

I have been using it for over 10 years

Offline AllEars

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »
Depends on how much of a coffee fanatic you are.......

Enlightening, thank you!