Author Topic: Charlotte, NC  (Read 2115 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Charlotte, NC
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »
I’m not that good at writing, so I’ll keep it to bulleted points with ratings and short notes where applicable.

Background: I’m trying to visit every National Park in the USA. This was a trip in November 2019 that started off with Congaree National Park in SC. I spent 3 more days in the region visiting Charlotte, NC (1 day), and Charleston, SC (2 days).

Flights:
  • CAE to CLT on AA
  • Ticket purchased with AA GC redeemed via Annual Amex Travel Credit
  • CLT to CHS on AA
  • Tickets were originally about $420, so I booked with BA for 7,500 Avios+$5.60. When the price dropped below $130, I cancelled the BA ticket, and booked it on Cheapoair, applying a $50 GC I had previously earned. (I would never book with them otherwise. Hateful company, horrible customer service, and they charge a booking fee)
  • I visited the MinuteSuites lounge, part of the PriortyPass network, at CLT when I had some time to spare before my flight thanks to TSA PreCheck. Loved it. You get a suite with a bed/sofa, pillows, blankets, a TV, and a desktop computer. They also have a mini bar, but I’m pretty certain it’s not complimentary. They also have showers for a fee. Perfect way to relax before my flight after having been on my feet most of the day.

Hotel:
  • Hyatt House Charlotte/ Center City- 5/5
  • I chose this hotel for two reasons. #1, I’m working towards status via this promotion, and #2, because it is centrally located. I was really happy with my choice. The customer service was great, and I had no complaints.
  • A few days before my stay, I emailed the manager requesting kosher breakfast. He wasn’t sure exactly what that entailed and asked for my assistance. I supplied him with the info for https://koshercharlotte.com/, and he promised he’d look into it. Two days later he informed me that he couldn’t get the items delivered, and that it didn’t make sense to have his staff pick up the food because of the distance. I’m still not sure exactly what the issue was, as Kosher Charlotte delivers, but when I informed him that I had placed an order, he offered to reimburse me for the cost of my meal, or 2,500 points. Definitely taught me a lesson: always ask for kosher breakfast. If they can’t supply it, maybe you’ll end up with some points instead…

Method of Transport:
  • Uber
  • The city is very walkable. I only used Uber to and from the airport, as well as to some stuff I wanted to see farther out of town.

Food:
  • Kosher Charlotte
  • Great service! I ended up ordering a little late, but the Rabbi was really helpful.

Activities:
  • Historic Rosedale Plantation- 2/5
  • I was very disappointed with my experience here. I knew in advance that there were no house tours available on the day of my visit, but the grounds were an embarrassment. Not well maintained and taken care of at all. (and to think that Google Maps’ description of the place is “lush gardens”- nothing lush about it. Barely gardens).
  • The Charlotte Museum of History- 3/5
  • The museum itself is not that interesting, but the house tour was incredible! I’m not recommending that you should visit Charlotte for this, but if you’re in the area definitely check it out. They claim that the original owner of the plantation drafted and signed what they call the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence about a year before the official Declaration of Independence was signed.
  • Wells Fargo Museum- 4/5
  • This is a small but interesting museum. I wasn't expecting much because the entrance fee is free (maybe that’s why 4/5?), but I was pleasantly surprised. Cool stuff on banking, the Carolina gold rush, and Wells Fargo in general.

Other activities:
  • Liberty Walk
  • The Green
  • Queen City Tour Rides- 3/5
  • Seventh Street Public Market

I think if you’re looking to waste a day, there are much better options out there than Charlotte. This is the first city I’ve ever visited that I don’t see a reason to return to.

Next stop: Charleston, SC.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:06:12 PM by cgr »