Author Topic: Double Points or Miles Promo from Hilton 1/1/16-4/30/16  (Read 1662 times)

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Double Points or Miles Promo from Hilton 1/1/16-4/30/16
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Double Points or Miles Promo from Hilton 1/1/16-4/30/16
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »
Link to Promo - https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/4480_01012016/

Does anyone know how the HHonors double points or double miles works in conjunction with the Hilton Honors Amex Surpass card and also being Gold level HHonors member?  I just received my HHonors Amex Surpass card and will use it for a big purchase at Hilton. I signed up for double miles HHonors promo.

Will this mean that I will get 12 ppd at a Hilton property using my Amex Surpass + 25% bonus on base points as a Gold member x 2 going to my listed United partner account?

For example $10K spend at Hilton using Amex Hilton Surpass = 120K (10K x 12ppd using Amex) + 30K points (25% bonus as a gold member) = 150K points x 2 (double miles promo) = 300K points going to my united account?

Is this accurate?

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
Link to Promo - https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/4480_01012016/

Does anyone know how the HHonors double points or double miles works in conjunction with the Hilton Honors Amex Surpass card and also being Gold level HHonors member?  I just received my HHonors Amex Surpass card and will use it for a big purchase at Hilton. I signed up for double miles HHonors promo.

Will this mean that I will get 12 ppd at a Hilton property using my Amex Surpass + 25% bonus on base points as a Gold member x 2 going to my listed United partner account?

For example $10K spend at Hilton using Amex Hilton Surpass = 120K (10K x 12ppd using Amex) + 30K points (25% bonus as a gold member) = 150K points x 2 (double miles promo) = 300K points going to my united account?

Is this accurate?

no
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
no

Tahnks Coralsnake. Can you show me what i would get based on that example?

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 11:23:53 AM »
Tahnks Coralsnake. Can you show me what i would get based on that example?
I didnt read the T&C of the promo but the 12ppd from Surpass is totally separate and you wont get a bonus on that.

Also- you will earn double UA miles from whatever they normally give. But I can guarantee you its not the same amount as if you wouldve chosen the Hilton points.

ETA- a quick google search told me that you normally get 10HH ppd + 5HH ppd when you select points/points. But 10HH ppd +1United miles when you select points/miles. Bonus would be based on that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:31:12 AM by coralsnake »

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
Thanks . So if i spend 10K, I would get 10K ppd plus 2500K (25% added for gold) = 12500 points x 2 = 25K miles to United?

Otherwise I can use my Sapphire card and get 20K UR points (2x points for travel) or 20K UR points to transfer to my United account

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
I didnt read the T&C of the promo but the 12ppd from Surpass is totally separate and you wont get a bonus on that.

Also- you will earn double UA miles from whatever they normally give. But I can guarantee you its not the same amount as if you wouldve chosen the Hilton points.

ETA- a quick google search told me that you normally get 10HH ppd + 5HH ppd when you select points/points. But 10HH ppd +1United miles when you select points/miles. Bonus would be based on that.

That doesn't make sense, since you wouldnt be getting "Double Points/Miles". The 25% bonus to base points for being gold member should be included since this is from HH not Amex

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »
If what you are saying is accurate, maybe i am better off using Chase Sapphire to get 2X for travel or 20K UR points and then transfer to United. What do you think?

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 11:59:11 AM »
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/12/16/hilton-double-your-hhonors-2016/

According to Lucky- 10k spend for a Gold member is 27.5x for points + points= 275000 HH with this promo.

The double UA is kind of weak.

You would also get the 12x ppd on your Amex Surpass (plus the additional 1k for signing up for the promo and having the Surpass).

If you use the Sapphire instead you are getting 2x Chase UR vs 12x Hilton from your credit card. Which has nothing to do with the promo.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:05:37 PM by coralsnake »

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »
Also worth noting that according to Hiltons T&C (not sure if its enforced):

"A Member may earn Base Points for up to two rooms per stay, if all eligible charges for both rooms are paid on one folio. Base Points will be earned for all eligible folio charges incurred on both rooms. The term "eligible folio charges" is defined below. Bonus Points issued on Base Points, including tier bonuses (15%, 25% or 50%, depending on Member tier), Bonus Points earned through the HHonors Points and HHonors Points Earning Style Option and double or triple Base point promotions, will apply to the total Base point credit earned for both rooms. For any other bonuses, including HHonors Marketing Partner Bonus Points and other promotional bonuses, Bonus Points will be awarded on one room only. For purposes of obtaining tier status, a Member may receive one stay credit on one room only. For purposes of earning miles for stays, miles may only be earned on one room only."

See #5
http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html#accrual_of_points

Offline Shimby

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »
Also worth noting that according to Hiltons T&C (not sure if its enforced):

"A Member may earn Base Points for up to two rooms per stay, if all eligible charges for both rooms are paid on one folio. Base Points will be earned for all eligible folio charges incurred on both rooms. The term "eligible folio charges" is defined below. Bonus Points issued on Base Points, including tier bonuses (15%, 25% or 50%, depending on Member tier), Bonus Points earned through the HHonors Points and HHonors Points Earning Style Option and double or triple Base point promotions, will apply to the total Base point credit earned for both rooms. For any other bonuses, including HHonors Marketing Partner Bonus Points and other promotional bonuses, Bonus Points will be awarded on one room only. For purposes of obtaining tier status, a Member may receive one stay credit on one room only. For purposes of earning miles for stays, miles may only be earned on one room only."

See #5
http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html#accrual_of_points

Thanks Coral. I am ordering 23 hotel rooms (some vary one night some 2 nights) and renting out ball room for 2 days at a Hilton Double tree. These terms are terrible if i can only get points for 2 rooms.

I need help to decide which is better value/return. Either

1) charge all to my Amex Hilton Surpass card (do i elect points + points or Points + miles promo), or
2) charge all to chase sapphire preferred and get 2X UR points for travel.

Note that I use SPG hotels (have 100K points) and United air almost exclusively up until now. I just enrolled in the Amex Hilton Surpass specifically for this purchase and the promos

what do you think is better for me value wise?

Carge

Offline coralsnake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:02:40 PM »
No doubt the points + points is better than points + miles.

120,000 HH > 20,000 UR/UA. But not by much.

And I can see you wanting to diversify from just HH points.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:07:28 PM by coralsnake »