Author Topic: Cancelled flight from Tel Aviv with a twist  (Read 2755 times)

Offline asil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Cancelled flight from Tel Aviv with a twist
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:10:24 AM »
Hi
I wonder whether anyone can point me into the right direction or perhaps even offer insights?

At the beginning of September, we boarded a flight from Ben Gurion to Sheremetyevo (Moscow) but 1.5 hours later were told that the flight was cancelled. We were rebooked and flew out 24 hours later. We have an official letter from Aeroflot that states it was a technical problem. We believe we are entitled to compensation.
Of course, Aeroflot denies this (quote): SU 507 on the 8th of September was cancelled due to technical reasons which is according to Israeli Aviation Services Law constitute an extraordinary circumstance.

I understand this would be contradictory to the Israeli Aviation Authority Law but for one issue: the cancellation happen after the boarding. Would anyone be able to clarify this or point to a person / lawyer who might be of help?

I don't think this matters but just in case :) we are not citizens of either country.

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 03:17:50 AM by asil »

Offline asil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelled flight from Tel Aviv with a twist
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 06:23:40 AM »
Maybe someone will be able to recommend a lawyer in Israel who has knowledge and/or experience in aviation law?
The way we were treated by Aeroflot was absolutely appalling (and Ben Gurion that represented them :(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:43:18 AM by asil »

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »
Based on what you say, you are entitled to compensation.
Many airlines try to get out of paying and use a million different excuses to do so.
Often you have to sue them in small claims or regular court to get your money.
Unfortunately, Israeli courts don't seem to believe in punitive damages so the airlines use what is know as "שיטת מצליח" where they deny everyone and hope that most people won't put up a fight.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 07:09:15 AM »
Do a Google search for Israeli Aviation Services law, it should come up with a few firms that specialize in this.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Baglach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 07:48:11 AM »
It's called חוק טיבי

Offline asil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 08:02:30 AM »
Do a Google search for Israeli Aviation Services law, it should come up with a few firms that specialize in this.
Thanks, I found one firm and filled out a form on their site. If you (or anyone else for that matter) know of any legal firm that might be interested in the case, pls let me know.

PS: I would have been absolutely happy to let it go (as we'd done before with another airline) if it were not for the treatment we received. And of course as we are not citizens of either country, Aeroflot thinks they can get away with this!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:07:59 AM by asil »

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »
Thanks, I found one firm and filled out a form on their site. If you (or anyone else for that matter) know of any legal firm that might be interested in the case, pls let me know.

PS: I would have been absolutely happy to let it go (as we'd done before with another airline) if it were not for the treatment we received. And of course as we are not citizens of either country, Aeroflot thinks they can get away with this!

If you have Facebook there is a group called "Ask an Israeli lawyer" you should ask on there. You will get responses from actual Israeli lawyers and you may even have a few people take the case.

Online jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
( This wont really be of help but...)
Good Luck fighting with Aeroflot!

Offline asil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 03:45:20 AM »

Online jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 09:19:13 AM »
Have you tried? :)

Fighting with Aeroflot, sure I have. Gotten nowhere even got lawyers involved.

Offline asil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 06:15:42 AM »
Really? Would you mind telling me a bit more about this? In private messages perhaps if you're not comfortable with doing this in the open?

Thanks

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 09:05:46 PM »
Just look up Chok Tibi, as someone else said earlier. There is a law on any flight going into and out of Israel on exact compensation that was delayed over a certain number of hours- with payment in cash based on the length of the planned flight.

Offline asil

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 04:19:52 AM »
Just look up Chok Tibi, as someone else said earlier. There is a law on any flight going into and out of Israel on exact compensation that was delayed over a certain number of hours- with payment in cash based on the length of the planned flight.
This is exactly what I did. 3 times. Quote the legislation, pointed to the relevant clauses, stated the sum they are supposed to pay within 45 days, provided with the bank account details for direct deposit. And so far they are offering absolutely irrelevant excuses that do not correspond to the Israeli Services Law. So irrelevant that this is laughable. So far I'm having a lot of fun :( but there will come time when I'll start looking into sueing.

I was just hoping that this could be avoided and that somebody would point me in the right direction but it seems this is the only way to go.

I'm also waiting for fellow passengers, a bunch of Israeli guys, to contact me re class action. A couple of guys got our contact details but they never got back to us - quite understandable considering they were on the way to have fun in Vietnam, Thailand and the like. :)

Generally, I know where I stand with my claim but for one issue: we boarded the flight but 1.5 hours later were told the flight wouldn't take off. This is the 'twist' I'm referring to.