Author Topic: Ipod Vs. Zune  (Read 17508 times)

Offline AronO

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Ipod Vs. Zune
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
Hey want to get an 80GB mp3 player as a gift for someone... looked into the Ipod and the Zune was wondering what pple thought was better and if you can explaine why you think so ... Thanks!!

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Ipod Vs. Zune
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »
Ipod has that name recognition stuff going on.
The Zune is decent, but its not quite as fashionable.

I'd go out on a limb here and say:
Zune = techies who want powerful features and like to mod stuff
iPod = people who want a simple player that looks cool and does what it should.

I'd personally rather have a Zune, but then again my phone is my mp3 player, so...
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:55:13 PM »
Ye Mordy i see from the whole thing on the facebook discussion, you just hate Apple, you come up with these reasons why wow.
Zalman.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »
Ye Mordy i see from the whole thing on the facebook discussion, you just hate Apple, you come up with these reasons why wow.
Scrable, instead of knocking Mordy why don't you write why the iPod is better?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »
Will do Dan, some  easy point's Mordey mentioned.

The iPod is  easy to use, dose not have useless wi-fi, slim fashionable (as Mordy mentioned), 78% market share, which simply means Most people have it. In-fact Steve Ballmer (CEO of Microsoft) said that thy are happy to have 2% market share, and that Apple is truly the leader in the game, but then pointed out that that 2% was only for MP3 players $249 and up, which might mean Apple has more then just 78% market share. I'm not sure if you really care about this info but i'm simply board tonight.

Can's wait to buy the new iPhone.

Mordy it's great that you use your Phone as a MP3 player, i remember those day's i died to make sure my Phone had it, but now most people don't use it, not no-1 but most people at least. I have so many friends who have iPod's and thy had to make sure there Phone also had an MP3 player, but never got used.

Dan i was not trying to knock Mordy.
Zalman.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:32:14 AM »
I just wanna voice my opinion that I feel a phone should be only a communications device, which means obviously it should make and receive phone calls and do it well, and if you need e-mail it should do that as well, but it need not be a tv or an mp3 player or a movie player. For that I'll get a separate device. I need my phone to have as much battery as possible and I don't want the battery drained just cuz I wanted to catch up on the latest episode of Family Guy.

And soon when phones start having built in shavers, I'll feel the same way. What is this world coming to?
-Eli

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 02:07:51 AM »
i feel that since so many people have the ipod even though there are many "better" players with more features, the ipod is still the best Music player both because of ease of use and the plethora of software options available for it. 

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 02:34:50 AM »
Holy cow, I didn't even bash Apple, and I still get flamed from Scrable! Man... there are some serious fanbois here.

My comment was just that I'd rather a Zune personally because the geeky features like wifi aren't useless to someone like me, but I didn't say anything Anti-iPod, in fact all the stuff I said where reasons TO buy an ipod!
For most "normal" people, the ipod would be a smarter. I never considered myself in the "norm", and I've never been happy with anything I've bought the way it comes out of the box (I tweak everything, my 2 cars, my motorcycle, all my pcs, my phones... never been satisfied with how they performed "stock").
I also added that I in fact don't see the need for a standalone music/media player when I carry several devices that are already capable of that task.

And before anyone calls me an Apple hater, or a MS fanboi, I can see where you'd draw that conclusion from, but I'm really really not...
I used to be the biggest Apple advocate back in the 80's and 90's. I've been an apple user since I got my first mac around 1984, and back then their products offered features and performance that blew anything else out of the water, even if nobody seemed to notice.
I've always been impressed with their products, and I'm happy they're finally getting the credit they deserve, but lately I hate the marketing machine they've become. They overhype their products and sell devices with LESS features than the competitors for more money. It used to be they were actually the underdog with a superior product. I sort of feel like they've sold out- they now sell products with more "polish" to them, but does that make them better?
To some, yes. If you're one of those, by all means I won't dissuade you from purchasing their products.
For me however, "Chadesh Yameinu Kikedem"... return the days of old, bring back the old Apple that I loved... there will always be a special place in my heart for them.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:52:48 AM by Mordy »

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 04:48:15 AM »
Holy cow, I didn't even bash Apple, and I still get flamed from Scrable! Man... there are some serious fanbois here.

My comment was just that I'd rather a Zune personally because the geeky features like wifi aren't useless to someone like me, but I didn't say anything Anti-iPod, in fact all the stuff I said where reasons TO buy an ipod!
For most "normal" people, the ipod would be a smarter. I never considered myself in the "norm", and I've never been happy with anything I've bought the way it comes out of the box (I tweak everything, my 2 cars, my motorcycle, all my pcs, my phones... never been satisfied with how they performed "stock").
I also added that I in fact don't see the need for a standalone music/media player when I carry several devices that are already capable of that task.

And before anyone calls me an Apple hater, or a MS fanboi, I can see where you'd draw that conclusion from, but I'm really really not...
I used to be the biggest Apple advocate back in the 80's and 90's. I've been an apple user since I got my first mac around 1984, and back then their products offered features and performance that blew anything else out of the water, even if nobody seemed to notice.
I've always been impressed with their products, and I'm happy they're finally getting the credit they deserve, but lately I hate the marketing machine they've become. They overhype their products and sell devices with LESS features than the competitors for more money. It used to be they were actually the underdog with a superior product. I sort of feel like they've sold out- they now sell products with more "polish" to them, but does that make them better?
To some, yes. If you're one of those, by all means I won't dissuade you from purchasing their products.
For me however, "Chadesh Yameinu Kikedem"... return the days of old, bring back the old Apple that I loved... there will always be a special place in my heart for them.

Touching. Especially about having a place in your heart for them, good for you.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »

So you said now Apple dosent give as much as thy used to, in what way?
Zalman.

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
In every way, I personally hate apple. The prices are overbloated and it's BS.

For example:
m1530, fully loaded is about 1400 (depends on whether you know how to get a good deal)
MBP, fully loaded, that thing costs about 3000 and change, wtf. (never goes on sale, so you can't even find a deal)

Many people will say that the m1530 is nicer and is better then the MBP. I don't think there is anything special about the macbook pro. But being that it's so "cool" , apple knows they can rape you out of your money for it. Bastards.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
In every way, I personally hate apple. The prices are overbloated and it's BS.

For example:
m1530, fully loaded is about 1400 (depends on whether you know how to get a good deal)
MBP, fully loaded, that thing costs about 3000 and change, wtf. (never goes on sale, so you can't even find a deal)

Many people will say that the m1530 is nicer and is better then the MBP. I don't think there is anything special about the macbook pro. But being that it's so "cool" , apple knows they can rape you out of your money for it. Bastards.
Seems you can handle with something that's not on sale, well that's simply the way thy work, Dell is known for cheap prices lower class crap. Go to Circuit city and look at the prices on laptop's, you will see many are cheap but that's cause there always on sale, and there closeout's.

Your just another cheap jew like most of us, but if you knew how good a mac is you will never buy that Dell again. And i have something to tell you on how much Dell sucks even for FREE, that i cannot publicly post here, but ill be more then happy to share it with you so ill message it to you.

Do you hate Sony as well? Have you seen there prices?
Zalman.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »
I love sony!
A2DP car stereos in both of my cars for $100!!

Anyway, back the topic:
I didn't want to get into specific details since that isn't the point of the thread.
Yitzter has graciously started a "who hates Apple" thread, and I guess I'll reluctantly post my information there a little bit later.
However, as I said before, I don't hate Apple. I don't- I even recommend them to certain people. The problem is when people think they are somehow "superior" because they put a nice polish on a product with less features.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »
Well i've had two ipod's already and used to be a major fan of apple ive had the 60 photo when that came out and after two yrs it died after lots of work got it to work Again but bought myself the 160 classic and just a yr after i got it died suddenely while playing a song and thats it it wont start Again so personally i think that other company's might have better and longer lasting products but certainly will not get an apple ipod again     

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 10:24:42 AM »
Well i've had two ipod's already and used to be a major fan of apple ive had the 60 photo when that came out and after two yrs it died after lots of work got it to work Again but bought myself the 160 classic and just a yr after i got it died suddenely while playing a song and thats it it wont start Again so personally i think that other company's might have better and longer lasting products but certainly will not get an apple ipod again     
The iPod definitely suffers from planned obsolescence, as do all Apple products with built-in batteries (Macbook air, iphone, ipod, etc.)
That's why they invented Sam's Club  ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 10:51:09 AM »
What do u mean by that what will sam's club help me?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:32 AM »
U mean if i buy it from them then i can return it if it dies even after a yr? And any idea's if i didnt get it there

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »
I think i got wat ur saying i was on the road be4 will try to work it out on chol hamoed thanx for that if i got ya right

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »
Sam's club will only help u if ur product is still under warranty but my ipod isn't under warranty anymore so they said there's nothing they can do any idea's ?