Topic Wiki

Training
Codecademy.com offers hand on courses for  various coding languages including HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and more. FREE
TreeHouse.com 8)
w3schools.com
regex

Resources
Browser compatibility
Can i use

To test/show-of your skills
html - css - js
http://codepen.io/pen/
http://jsfiddle.net/

My sql
www.sqlfiddle.com

Editor
notepad-plus-plus.org/

android development
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

js librery
http://greensock.com/ nice animation
getbootstrap.com/css/ responsive layout
jquery.com do more write less

Free Books
http://it-ebooks.info/

Test client browser version
http://browser-update.org/
« Last edited by yesitsme on May 17, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »

Author Topic: Programming for Beginners  (Read 107021 times)

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Programming for Beginners
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2014, 11:47:13 PM »
I am trying to help out a non-profit with some programming. Unfortunately, (almost) everything IT related I have experience with...except programming (only on a very basic (pun intended) level)...

Anyone with any basic/moderate experience want to pm me, so I can pick your brain?  (not html, css, etc...more like sql, perl, etc)

I'd rather not post too many details...but something like this...

the program will read incoming emails, generate a sequential three digit number, then email that number  and the received email to another address.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2014, 12:40:05 AM »
I am trying to help out a non-profit with some programming. Unfortunately, (almost) everything IT related I have experience with...except programming (only on a very basic (pun intended) level)...

Anyone with any basic/moderate experience want to pm me, so I can pick your brain?  (not html, css, etc...more like sql, perl, etc)

the program will read incoming emails, generate a sequential three digit number, then email that number  and the received email to another address.
I have some experience with SQL but not with perl. However, I bet you could do all that with Outlook and VBA.

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »

all emails? Or only those from a particular sender? Or containing certain text?
Either way you can set up a rule to filter for the emails you want and run a script on them that'll generate the number and fwd it

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2014, 12:29:45 AM »
all emails? Or only those from a particular sender? Or containing certain text?
Either way you can set up a rule to filter for the emails you want and run a script on them that'll generate the number and fwd it
additionally sequential numbering can't be done in code alone. You'll need a place to store the current number count. Either by adding a registry setting or by using a simple text file.

Will the code be running on only one machine? If it'll be on multiple machines are they networked?
Also you say a 3 digit number so what happens after all numbers are used up?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2014, 12:38:19 AM »
additionally sequential numbering can't be done in code alone. You'll need a place to store the current number count. Either by adding a registry setting or by using a simple text file.

Will the code be running on only one machine? If it'll be on multiple machines are they networked?
Also you say a 3 digit number so what happens after all numbers are used up?}
Reset every 24 hours.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2014, 12:39:19 AM »

Also you say a 3 digit number so what happens after all numbers are used up?
VS (cloud)

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2014, 07:06:07 PM »
VS (cloud)
not sure what that is. Will they have access to a shared directory?
Are they in the same time zone?
Where do you want the 3 digit number? In the subject?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:39:34 PM by smurf »

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »
Go to www.lynda.com they have good paying courses

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
Go to www.lynda.com they have good paying courses
many college students have free access

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »
Should I call the legion?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2014, 08:19:10 PM »
point is they have good courses.
most courses I don't find very good.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
Highly recommended. Awesome teacher
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:43 PM »

Offline avremel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
After scouting around for a while it seems teamtreehouse.com is the best option for beginner-intermediate level programming.
Includes: video classes broken up in to < 10 min segments, excersizes in between videos, active forums centered around classes,
They put an emphasis on web design. I am currently in middle of the RubyRails track.
They cover: HTML, CSS, Ruby, Javascript, PHP, Design, WordPress, iOS, Android, Python, Development Tools, Business

lynda.com is not interactive, codecademy.com is actually quite decent.
I prefer to use a subscription based site and pay, you will end up committing time daily just in order to get your moneys worth :)
Also, using multiple sources simultaneously to learn a skill helps cement the knowledge. For example, using both Treehouse and Codecademy for the same skill.

Basic membership is $25, below is a link for first month free trial (usually trial is 14 days)
http://teamtreehouse.com/join/free-month?utm_source=shareasale&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=shareasale-aff-program&utm_content=300x250-green-frog&cid=1086%20&SSAID=546757

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
After scouting around for a while it seems teamtreehouse.com is the best option for beginner-intermediate level programming.
Includes: video classes broken up in to < 10 min segments, excersizes in between videos, active forums centered around classes,
They put an emphasis on web design. I am currently in middle of the RubyRails track.
They cover: HTML, CSS, Ruby, Javascript, PHP, Design, WordPress, iOS, Android, Python, Development Tools, Business

lynda.com is not interactive, codecademy.com is actually quite decent.
I prefer to use a subscription based site and pay, you will end up committing time daily just in order to get your moneys worth :)
Also, using multiple sources simultaneously to learn a skill helps cement the knowledge. For example, using both Treehouse and Codecademy for the same skill.

Basic membership is $25, below is a link for first month free trial (usually trial is 14 days)
http://teamtreehouse.com/join/free-month?utm_source=shareasale&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=shareasale-aff-program&utm_content=300x250-green-frog&cid=1086%20&SSAID=546757
I tried treehouse but found that they didn't actually explain anything all they did was make me take everything as a given without explaining why so basically all they do is stuff you with info and I was lost when I got past the third video
Code academy on the other hand actually explained what's going on and why something is done
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
I like codecademy a lot, but found that there were some holes here and there. Code school is also pretty great (it has a monthly fee). I like the idea of learning the same thing from a few different places - one after the other. You get a more rounded knowledge of the language. I found, though, that when I do a few different websites simultaneously, I just get confused.

Another thing to look into is websites like Coursera, Udacity, and Edx. I'm in the middle of a Saas/Ruby on Rails course on Edx, and it's very intense, but really really good. A bit late to start it though...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:21:31 PM by etech0 »
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline avremel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »
I tried treehouse but found that they didn't actually explain anything all they did was make me take everything as a given without explaining why so basically all they do is stuff you with info and I was lost when I got past the third video
Code academy on the other hand actually explained what's going on and why something is done

You have a point, both Ruby and Java Foundation courses have videos from about three years ago with an overload of info and no breaks in middle. However they are in the process of replacing both of those courses with better material, called Ruby Basics & Java Basics. In order to complete Rails track I had to complete the older version of the courses since the new ones aren't complete..

Offline avremel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
I like codecademy a lot, but found that there were some holes here and there. Code school is also pretty great (it has a monthly fee). I like the idea of learning the same thing from a few different places - one after the other. You get a more rounded knowledge of the language. I found, though, that when I do a few different websites simultaneously, I just get confused.

Another thing to look into is websites like Coursera, Udacity, and Edx. I'm in the middle of a Saas/Ruby on Rails course on Edx, and it's very intense, but really really good. A bit late to start it though...

Codeschool.com seems to be recommended for intermediate level. My impression of MOOC's is that it takes much more discipline to follow a uni course that wasn't designed for an online participant, especially at beginner level, although it might be recommended for advanced students. If you are taking such a course, this is an interesting idea: https://www.edx.org/verified-certificate

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
Codeschool.com seems to be recommended for intermediate level. My impression of MOOC's is that it takes much more discipline to follow a uni course that wasn't designed for an online participant, especially at beginner level, although it might be recommended for advanced students. If you are taking such a course, this is an interesting idea: https://www.edx.org/verified-certificate
Interesting - I find that it takes more discipline to make me follow through with code school or codecademy, where there's no schedule, than a MOOC where there are specific deadlines for the HWs and quizzes, and if you don't follow through you fall behind. (Assuming that the MOOC is not too intense.)

I do think that the key is to find something that works for you, and to work consistently at it. You'll learn much more actually working through a few tutorials from almost anywhere, and/or from playing around and building something that you find useful, than from spending hours googling and looking for the perfect course website, or signing up for every course there is.

Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline avremel

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
I do think that the key is to find something that works for you, and to work consistently at it. You'll learn much more actually working through a few tutorials from almost anywhere, and/or from playing around and building something that you find useful, than from spending hours googling and looking for the perfect course website, or signing up for every course there is.

Curious to know what your background was before you started edX Rails course