Author Topic: Active Shooter Jersey City  (Read 69270 times)

Offline Chapshnell

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Skypesos, AA Shilling, AS Pounds.
Re: Active Shooter Jersey City
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »
Just 1 customer was murdered, right?

correct...

3 yiddishe customers were in the store.. One got out from the back door (the worker let him go first & then the worker was shot dead in between the back door, he was halfway out the backdoor when he was shot). one ran out through the front via open nissim, one was unfortunately shot dead (the 24 year old bucher) and mrs ferencz at the register was gunned down too. HY"D

but what i am saying is that 3 customers in the store is A LOT for a Tuesday at one time!

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »
high in the 70's families live there. not sure the exact amount 78-79 whatever.. media reported 100. its incorrect, its smaller than that.

Which is why I said calling it a "smaller community" or even "MUCH smaller community" is an understatement. Contrast that with Crown Heights which is somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 families IINM, and Williamsburg, Boro Park, and Lakewood which are each much bigger than Crown Heights. Calling it an outpost would probably give you a better idea of what we're talking about.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
correct...

3 yiddishe customers were in the store.. One got out from the back door (the worker let him go first & then the worker was shot dead in between the back door, he was halfway out the backdoor when he was shot). one ran out through the front via open nissim, one was unfortunately shot dead (the 24 year old bucher) and mrs ferencz at the register was gunned down too. HY"D

but what i am saying is that 3 customers in the store is A LOT for a Tuesday at one time!
Two of the customers were not residents, Rather visiting from Brooklyn. They were cousins, one was shot to death, and one was injured

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
Which is why I said calling it a "smaller community" or even "MUCH smaller community" is an understatement. Contrast that with Crown Heights which is somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 families IINM, and Williamsburg, Boro Park, and Lakewood which are each much bigger than Crown Heights. Calling it an outpost would probably give you a better idea of what we're talking about.
"outpost" now that is descriptive.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »
קטע מדברות קודוש שבת פ' ויצא תש"פ בעת רעוא דרעוין מכ"ק גאב"ד קארלסבורג שליט"א

מ'זעהט מ'דארף נישט נתייאש ווערן, דער אייבערשטער זאל העלפן מ'זאל קענען צינדען חנוכה לעכט אבער אמאל איז דא וואס דער שונא איז שוין דא וואס וועט זיין יעצט? ער איז שוין דא ער קומט אריין מיט איך ווייס וואס, קומט אריין מיט זיין חרבות מיט זיין געווער מיט אלעמען, אויף דעם איז אויך דא א עצה ס'זאל ווערן טונקל פאר זיי, זיי זאלן נישט זעהן. קומט אויס אז דאס איז אויך א נס, עס קומט דארט שונאים זיי זעען אז די וועסט וועלן האלטן די תורה וכדומה, וועלן זיי נישט טרעפן און זיי וועלן נישט זעהן.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 13, 2019, 02:14:33 PM »

מ'זעהט מ'דארף נישט נתייאש ווערן, דער אייבערשטער זאל העלפן מ'זאל קענען צינדען חנוכה לעכט אבער אמאל איז דא וואס דער שונא איז שוין דא וואס וועט זיין יעצט? ער איז שוין דא ער קומט אריין מיט איך ווייס וואס, קומט אריין מיט זיין חרבות מיט זיין געווער מיט אלעמען, אויף דעם איז אויך דא א עצה ס'זאל ווערן טונקל פאר זיי, זיי זאלן נישט זעהן. קומט אויס אז דאס איז אויך א נס, עס קומט דארט שונאים זיי זעען אז די וועסט וועלן האלטן די תורה וכדומה, וועלן זיי נישט טרעפן און זיי וועלן נישט זעהן.
Apparently his son, who is the principle in the cheder and lives in JC was in BP last week shabbos and was there by the Torah.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 13, 2019, 02:51:46 PM »

whoa, this was the past week?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 13, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
Afaik, yes.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 13, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »

Can someone please translate? Thanks
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #309 on: December 13, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »
Can someone please translate? Thanks
Second that!!!
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 13, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »
Second that!!!
Very complicated.

But to try in a nutshell, basically a well known Rabbi speaking to his followers this past Saturday, talking about evils trying to come and kill jews and a miracle happening they won't see their targets, in merit of the Torah.

Some see he was foreseeing what's gonna happen with sort of ruach hakodesh.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »
Yes, but I dont think he is pushing any agenda. I have a much bigger issue with the replies to that tweet. O-M-G.
I personally believe that he may have had an agenda. Let me point out a few things:

First point - From the mayor's Wikipedia page (emphasis added):
Fulop (Fülöp) was born to a Jewish family in Edison, New Jersey, the son of immigrants from Hungary and Israel. His father owned a delicatessen in Newark, New Jersey, where Fulop often worked, and his mother, the daughter of Holocaust survivors, worked in an immigration services office helping others gain citizenship. Through the sixth grade, Fulop attended Rabbi Pesach Raymon Yeshiva, an Orthodox Jewish elementary school in Highland Park, New Jersey, though he himself was not observant.

Second point -
https://twitter.com/OJPAC/status/1204770504390979587

Here are the inferences I drew, though they are merely speculation at this point. Fulop grew up quasi-religious, and even attended a yeshiva. So when Jews started settling in, it was politically smart for him to voice criticism to show that he had no predisposition toward them. (This is not vital for the point I'm making, but it's my feeling.) Now, however, his record of critique could work against him, and he could easily be branded as anti-orthodox if he doesn't condemn this attack as anti-Semitic. Therefore, he was the first to jump in and express that sentiment, in order not to be condemned as racist due to his prior comments.

Take it or leave it, it's just my inference.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 14, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »
Leave the Mayors words behind.
what does any person seeing this think? (anyone without the opposite agenda)

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 14, 2019, 08:14:21 PM »
By Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman, Rabbi, Ahavas Israel Passaic

I received a phone call early this morning.

It was from Mayor Hector Lora the mayor of Passaic.

I consider Mr. Lora a good friend, a sensitive individual and a caring man.

He was my first phone call today.

He said that he had heard that the horrific attack in Jersey City was no random attack as first was reported, rather, it was a targeted anti-Semitic incident.

He then informed me that although there is no credible threat against the Jewish community in Passaic, he is placing a mobile police command center in front of the Shul on Van Houten Ave.

He mentioned that as the most frequented Synagogue in the city, he wanted to make sure, “That everyone should feel safe to pray…:”

I thanked him profusely for his care, for his initiative to help protect us and his concern for our safety.

Mayor Lora then contacted me again to emphasize that although the Mobile Police Command Center (the largest and most advanced anti-crime vehicle in the Passaic Police force) will be stationed in front of the Shul, nevertheless, he wanted me to emphasize to all that there is no specific information that the Passaic Jewish community is under any direct threat.

I thanked him again.

Yesterday’s attack left me very sad and mournful.

I grieved for the family’s of Moshe Hersh Deutch HY”D, 24-years-old from Williamsburg and Mrs. Leah Mindel Ferentz HY”D, 33-years-old who were murdered in cold blood yesterday.

Numerous sources have reported, “The Mayor of Jersey City has asserted that today’s incident was a deliberate attack targeting the Jewish community.”

The Greenville neighborhood in Jersey City is not rural, suburban neighborhood.

It is not like Bloomingburg, NY which is “tranquil and has a rustic ambience”.

It is not like Toms River or Jackson New Jersey.

It is certainly not like East Ramapo near Monsey.

Greensville, Jersey City is an urban area primarily made up of Blacks and other ethnic minorities.

When Jews first began moving to Greensville, an interesting coincidence took place.

The main street in Greensville is Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

Along the avenue are a Catholic church, a mosque and a storefront church called the Sanctified Church of J.C.

Despite the presence of these houses of worship of three different faiths, as soon as Jews moved in

A zoning change was enacted forbidding new houses of worship.

Michele Massey, a former Jersey City councilwoman who is the executive director of an organization that oversees a commercial corridor along Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, said Hasidim had opened a synagogue on the avenue despite a recent zoning change forbidding new houses of worship.

“It’s not because they’re Jewish,” Ms. Massey said of her opposition. “It could have been any other religion or group. It was simply the zoning law. I’m a person of color. Obviously I don’t care who lives where.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/nyregion/ultra-orthodox-jews-hasidim-new-jersey.html

I fail to understand Ms. Massey’s assurance that, “It could have been any other religion or group. It was simply the zoning law”.

I certainly cannot comprehend the logic of why she states, “I’m a person of color. Obviously I don’t care who lives where.”  Why does being a person of color lead to the logical conclusion, “Obviously I don’t care who lives where”?

I have other questions which disturb me.

I am baffled by the question, “Why do our fellow Americans want to ban us from living in Greensville, East Ramapo, Jackson Township and Toms River?”

I wondered after I read a statement, “Mayor Steven Fulop wrote that an “extensive review” of the city’s closed-circuit cameras made it clear “that these two individuals targeted the kosher grocery location” – why would anyone target a kosher grocery?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/nyregion/jersey-city-shooting.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I had no answer.

After the phone call from the Mayor, I went back to my study of the Parsha with the commentary of Rashi.

The first Passuk (verse) I read was, וַיָּ֨רָץ עֵשָׂ֤ו לִקְרָאתוֹ֙ וַֽיְחַבְּקֵ֔הוּ וַיִּפֹּ֥ל עַל־צַוָּארָ֖ו וַיִּשָּׁקֵ֑הוּ וַיִּבְכּֽוּ

“And Esau ran toward him and embraced him, and he fell on his neck and kissed him, and they wept.”

I then looked at Rashi, אמר ר’ שמעון בן יוחאי הלכה היא בידוע שעשו שונא ליעקב

“Rabbi Simeon ben Yochai said: It is a well-known tradition that Esav hates Yaakov…”
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline chff

• View Profile

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 15, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 15, 2019, 01:49:20 AM »

That is almost four hours long! Is anyone able to pinpoint particular sections to listen to?