Topic Wiki

Or if you have t-mobile use T-mobile digits and you can avoid the whole google voice saga!
 Just make sure to use data only verses cellular mode.

Or with Verizon use Message+ and enable voice calls.

« Last edited by myi on January 21, 2020, 09:17:58 PM »

Author Topic: How To Use Google Voice When Traveling To Israel Or another country?  (Read 17268 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
  A common Question that's always asked about GoogleVoice.
   How? What? Where?
(Need to make a video when I have some time and patience explaining all the steps.)
 But just read the post and I'm sure you'll be able understand. And of course if you can any Questions post away and I'm sure someone will answer or I will try to answer myself.
 ‎
  I'm traveling to Israel and I want to be able to make and receive phone calls, just like I would be able to do in america.( For all practical purposes I'm going to use Israel as my destination vs any other foreign country which would be the same steps.) ‎
    And that's all possible with Google Voice which is actually free!
  The only thing you would pay for is a sim card in the country your going to visit, and I will explain why you should get a sim card from the country your visiting VS using your american carrier which has data in many other countries.
 It's pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it and go through the steps once.

Reason why I would recommend to get a sim card from the country your visiting vs using your own;‎
 Your data, the reception and quality of phone calls is two different levels, when your going to use your american carrier which will be roaming on Israeli networks, the Internet does not work well.
 And especially for a google voice account when making calls if you don't have good service the calls will be quite choppy, I've tried it myself on T-mobile, Sprint, Verizon. All of those services are great but not when traveling abroad to ‎Israel and relying on it to use for Google Voice.

I reccommend you set up your Google Voice account before you leave your home country.
 The steps are as follows,

1- You need to make sure you have these three apps downloaded, yes three of them, which im not sure why, but if you want it to work properly and be able to make phone calls you should download all three.‎
(One) app called "Google Voice"
(Second) app called "Hangouts"
(Third) app called "Hangouts Dialer".‎

2- Now after downloading all three apps go into the google voice app and create a google voice number which you like, now in order for you to have downloaded the google apps it has to be you already have a Gmail account connected to the google play store which would mean in the google voice setting there would be at least one Gmail acount there to connect a GV number to.
 And the reason why I'm mentioning this I will explain a bit later, as another option to make calls will require a 2nd Gmail account "without" a GV number.(Continue reading..)

3- "Settings in the phone". You will find this all in the "hangout app" on your device.‎
 This is a very important step, if there's one small setting not correct then the whole google voice will not work properly or not ring at all.
  a) There's an option "Notifications" make sure everything is allowed in the settings of the phone and app settings.‎

b) Next option will show your Google Voice number, make sure you have enabled the incoming calls option, (when I say enabled it should be marked in the green showing its on.)
 Make sure messages is enabled as well.
 And then a bunch of other options like GV sms and and voicemail, you can set them however you like and custamize the notification sounds.

c)Now on the "Google Voice" App there will be an option which says devices and numbers, that's where your number will ring when someone calls, whether it being a desktop or your phone or phones.
   As well make sure the settings "making and receiving calls" is set to prefer wifi and mobile data Vs use carrier Only.
   Then there's an option call forwarding, that will enable you to select which devices should ring and which not.‎
    And you can set the option whether to hear callers name before or not, myslef I don't like people knowing it's GV so I diabled that, and email alerts and all the other little stuff you can play around and set to your hearts desire. ‎

4- So You have your american number which we will label for all practical purposes 917-987-6543, Now you would go into the call settings or depending on the phone carrier will depend what options you have to set up call forwarding.
 Now with "Tmobile" you can simply go into the phone icon and then go into the settings and set up call forwarding to the GV number you set up. Meaning if your google voice number would be 347-852-3698 then that number you would enter into the call forwarding options of your phone.
 Each carrier being different your best option would be to google how to set up call forwarding for sprint, verizon, At&t.. or simply make a phone call to the carrier and have them manually set it up.
   Now I'm telling you to do this while your still in the US and not once you leave. To elabverate I've been able to change the call forwarding on my T-mobile phone no problem on my own, but for a sprint plan it required me to call the carrier to have them manually set it up to forward to my GV number as I was not able to set it up as I was in a different country.
   So to make life more simple just set this up before hand and all your calls will come into the google voice app which will ring just like your regular phone would. While your in the airport you can set this up, or randomly try to set call forwarding to the gv number to see if it works and you'll be familiar with this the next time you need to set this up.

5- Now You have your google voice phone ringing when someone tried to call your american phone and you can act as if your still in america.‎
 But how can you make a call without the need to use my GV number which noone regonizes?
 Also quite simple.
 Number one you will need a 2nd Gmail account connected to your Google voice account, now like meantioned before "Do Not connect a Google Voice phone number" just create an account.
 Now once your in the Google voice setting click on the Gmail account which has no Google Voice Number connected to it, and there should be an option to enable outbound caller ID, if you don't find it in the GV settings then go into the hangouts app and look In the settings there which should have an option for enableing Outbound caller ID.
     Once enabled you will be able to make outgoing phone calls from that 2nd gmail account while using your american number, and you don't have to worry that your making a call abroad with your american phone number, you won't be charged anything as long as it's coming from the GV app and not from the actual phone.(Same idea as Wifi calling with T-mobile.)

6- Some people like forwarding the Gv number to their own cell phone and the texts coming into the gv number to their own, that's really easy to set up but not really helpful in this situation. ‎ 
  ‎
 And of course if you actually learnt something and got your Google Voice rolling because of this post feel free to hit the like button.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:58:52 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Boruch Parnes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: How To Use Google Voice When Traveling To Israel Or another country?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
   How? What? Where?
(Need to make a video when I have some time and patience explaining all the steps.)
 But just read the post and I'm sure you'll be able understand. And of course if you can any Questions post away and I'm sure someone will answer or I will try to answer myself.
 ‎
  I'm traveling to Israel and I want to be able to make and receive phone calls, just like I would be able to do in america.( For all practical purposes I'm going to use Israel as my destination vs any other foreign country which would be the same steps.) ‎
  The only thing you would pay for is a sim card in the country your going to visit, and I will explain why you should get a sim card from the country your visiting VS using your american carrier which has data in many other countries.
 It's pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it and go through the steps once.

Reason why I would recommend to get a sim card from the country your visiting vs using your own;‎
 Your data, the reception and quality of phone calls is two different levels, when your going to use your american carrier which will be roaming on Israeli networks, the Internet does not work well.
 And especially for a google voice account when making calls if you don't have good service the calls will be quite choppy, I've tried it myself on T-mobile, Sprint, Verizon. All of those services are great but not when traveling abroad to ‎Israel and relying on it to use for Google Voice.

I reccommend you set up your Google Voice account before you leave your home country.

1- You need to make sure you have these three apps downloaded, yes three of them, which im not sure why, but if you want it to work properly and be able to make phone calls you should download all three.‎

2- Now after downloading all three apps go into the google voice app and create a google voice number which you like, now in order for you to have downloaded the google apps it has to be you already have a Gmail account connected to the google play store which would mean in the google voice setting there would be at least one Gmail acount there to connect a GV number to.
 And the reason why I'm mentioning this I will explain a bit later, as another option to make calls will require a 2nd Gmail account "without" a GV number.(Continue reading..)

3- "Settings in the phone". You will find this all in the "hangout app" on your device.‎
 This is a very important step, if there's one small setting not correct then the whole google voice will not work properly or not ring at all.
  a) There's an option "Notifications" make sure everything is allowed in the settings of the phone and app settings.‎

b) Next option will show your Google Voice number, make sure you have enabled the incoming calls option, (when I say enabled it should be marked in the green showing its on.)
 And then a bunch of other options like GV sms and and voicemail, you can set them however you like and custamize the notification sounds.

c)Now on the "Google Voice" App there will be an option which says devices and numbers, that's where your number will ring when someone calls, whether it being a desktop or your phone or phones.
   As well make sure the settings "making and receiving calls" is set to prefer wifi and mobile data Vs use carrier Only.
   Then there's an option call forwarding, that will enable you to select which devices should ring and which not.‎
    And you can set the option whether to hear callers name before or not, myslef I don't like people knowing it's GV so I diabled that, and email alerts and all the other little stuff you can play around and set to your hearts desire. ‎

4- So You have your american number which we will label for all practical purposes 917-987-6543, Now you would go into the call settings or depending on the phone carrier will depend what options you have to set up call forwarding.
 Now with "Tmobile" you can simply go into the phone icon and then go into the settings and set up call forwarding to the GV number you set up. Meaning if your google voice number would be 347-852-3698 then that number you would enter into the call forwarding options of your phone.
 Each carrier being different your best option would be to google how to set up call forwarding for sprint, verizon, At&t.. or simply make a phone call to the carrier and have them manually set it up.
   Now I'm telling you to do this while your still in the US and not once you leave. To elabverate I've been able to change the call forwarding on my T-mobile phone no problem on my own, but for a sprint plan it required me to call the carrier to have them manually set it up to forward to my GV number as I was not able to set it up as I was in a different country.
   So to make life more simple just set this up before hand and all your calls will come into the google voice app which will ring just like your regular phone would. While your in the airport you can set this up, or randomly try to set call forwarding to the gv number to see if it works and you'll be familiar with this the next time you need to set this up.

5- Now You have your google voice phone ringing when someone tried to call your american phone and you can act as if your still in america.‎
 But how can you make a call without the need to use my GV number which noone regonizes?
 Also quite simple.
 Number one you will need a 2nd Gmail account connected to your Google voice account, now like meantioned before "Do Not connect a Google Voice phone number" just create an account.
 Now once your in the Google voice setting click on the Gmail account which has no Google Voice Number connected to it, and there should be an option to enable outbound caller ID, if you don't find it in the GV settings then go into the hangouts app and look In the settings there which should have an option for enableing Outbound caller ID.
     Once enabled you will be able to make outgoing phone calls from that 2nd gmail account while using your american number, and you don't have to worry that your making a call abroad with your american phone number, you won't be charged anything as long as it's coming from the GV app and not from the actual phone.(Same idea as Wifi calling with T-mobile.)

6- Some people like forwarding the Gv number to their own cell phone and the texts coming into the gv number to their own, that's really easy to set up but not really helpful in this situation. ‎ 
  ‎
too long to read whole thing!

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »
too long to read whole thing!
Well worth the read if your traveling and want your American number and allow people to reach you abroad.
   Only thing I don't know, is how to set up your messages
to be forwarded from your regular American carrier to the GV number.

Have to summarize it when I get some time.
 But then again the more detailed the post the easier to understand and the less questions.

I remember learning in Israel and always heard about Google Voice and loved the idea that you can set up call forwarding and get an American number, but never understood how it worked, everyone said it works... They and i never had a clear explanation.
 So one night I stayed up all night trying and playing around with all the settings and got the whole GV thing cold! Not complicated at all, just requires some patience.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:01:21 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
Well worth the read if your traveling and want your American number and allow people to reach you abroad.
   Only thing I don't know, is how to set up your messages
to be forwarded from your regular American carrier to the GV number.

Have to summarize it when I get some time.
 But then again the more detailed the post the easier to understand and the less questions.

I remember learning in Israel and always heard about Google Voice and loved the idea that you can set up call forwarding and get an American number, but never understood how it worked, everyone said it works... They and i never had a clear explanation.
 So one night I stayed up all night trying and playing around with all the settings and got the whole GV thing cold! Not complicated at all, just requires some patience.

Long read, u need data?
if yes why not just make a wifi call.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »
Long read, u need data?
if yes why not just make a wifi call.
How you making a wifi call? That only works with T-Mobile, and you would need wifi to use your American number.
 Here a phone plan with data would allow you to make and receive phone calls wherever you are.
  Yes there are hundreds of apps out there for free calling, but with Google Hangouts you can set up outbound caller ID, call forwarding and so many other options which these free apps don't have and you don't have to be busy with ads and all different stuff, and it's a regular normal number GV.

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
   How? What? Where?
 ‎

Also quite simple.

‎
 And of course if you actually learnt something and got your Google Voice rolling because of this post feel free to hit the like button.

Every Yeshiva bachur knows this

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »
If ur leaving country for a while the next step would be porting your american number to Google Voice so you can now receive messages @myi will explain how to do it

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »
If ur leaving country for a while the next step would be porting your american number to Google Voice so you can now receive messages @myi will explain how to do it
   Nothing to explain once you port your number, its self explanatory. Messages will come straight in to your phone.
Every Yeshiva bachur knows this
Hate to pop your bubble but I'm sorry to tell you most people or leta say lots have no clue how to use GV with all it's features.
  Yes the basics just to make phone calls most do know how,  and then making sure all the settings are correct and knowing that when dialing out it won't work to make an outgoing call unless you dial +.
As well as outbound caller ID to get to work, and set up call forwarding from before hand and make sure your Google voice number actually rings, and not just to be able to make a phone call, that you should be able to receive as well.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:33:31 PM by myi »

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »
How you making a wifi call? That only works with T-Mobile, and you would need wifi to use your American number.
 Here a phone plan with data would allow you to make and receive phone calls wherever you are.
  Yes there are hundreds of apps out there for free calling, but with Google Hangouts you can set up outbound caller ID, call forwarding and so many other options which these free apps don't have and you don't have to be busy with ads and all different stuff, and it's a regular normal number GV.

Hot spot with local sim card? Verizon allows wifi call.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »
Hot spot with local sim card? Verizon allows wifi call.
Okay that works or you could just use a phone with a SIM card without the need to carry a hotspot around.
  As they say whatever floats your boat.
And that means you'll be connected to the hotspot rather Wi-Fi the entire time.
 Will definitely drain your battery faster, you will need to carry around The hot spot wherever you go, and need to charge a hotspot.
  While you can do everything with Google Voice you can accomplish everything except for the messages being forwarded which I'm not sure how to do yet, will have to read up on that.
 Or for the time being just bring us basic flip dummy smartphone and stick your American SIM card in there, that way you could peek through your messages if it's really important or keep it with you if you really need to see the messages.
   I'm sure with T-Mobile for example the digits app or some other way you can forward all your text messages.

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 08:11:02 AM »
Btw my friend did all this, everything worked perfectly, but half the phone calls don't ring and come up as missed call

Offline slyboy07

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
Btw my friend did all this, everything worked perfectly, but half the phone calls don't ring and come up as missed call
Bad service may be the culprit.
Or try uninstalling google voice and reinstalling. Ime in Israel hangouts is what works. Trying to receive the call through the Google voice app didnt work well.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 12:33:30 AM »
That's exactly what I was saying if the settings are not done and set correctly you will not receive phone calls, and half of them will be missed calls, but if all the settings are correct then yes every phone call should ring like I had by me every phone call rang.

And to fix the solution with the text messages you can just download the digits app for T-Mobile for example which would allow you to receive texts!
  so no need for a second phone with T-Mobile, while other carriers you might need.

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 11:03:16 AM »
Why turn on both gv and hangout notifications? It seems like every time I get a call and want to decline, I have 2 make 2 declines one on GV and one on hangouts

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
Why turn on both gv and hangout notifications? It seems like every time I get a call and want to decline, I have 2 make 2 declines one on GV and one on hangouts
I only use the Hangouts to make calls and texts, while the GV app is on my phone just because it's needed in the background.
 So everything is enabled but only have it ringing on my Hangouts.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »
Or if you have t-mobile use T-mobile digits and you can avoid the whole google voice saga!

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »

All of this assumes you have a smartphone.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 09:06:38 PM »
 /quote]
What does it cost to get a SIM card in Israel?
Are you paying just for the card or also for service?
Thanks.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 09:15:24 PM »

What does it cost to get a SIM card in Israel?
Are you paying just for the card or also for service?
Thanks.

To make it easy to understand, you would need to pay for a sim card 19₪ phone plan 29₪ and to activate the line another 29₪ or so, don't remember off hand.
 I've used golan and hot mobile.
 And remember you'll be busy activating the lines, and you need to close the lines, no big deal but just something to keep in mind.
 Vs renting from the people on the forum or wherever, you'll have service when you land and not to worry about activating and closing the lines on your vocation ,or after your vocation.
 But very doable if you want to do it on your own..

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 09:16:51 PM »

All of this assumes you have a smartphone.
Lol, fill me in how to use GV w/o a smart phone?!
   Wouldn't mind knowing that hack..

Added to the wiki.
 Thanks for that tidbit.