Author Topic: Israel's good friend Obama...  (Read 122717 times)

Offline CZ60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Israel's good friend Obama...
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2016, 10:26:55 AM »
When you say Jewish/Muslim law are you meaning religious law or am I missing something?
religious law

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »
But then he's giving BO more fuel to pass what he can get through in the next 25 days....
He's a lame duck. He can't pass any kind of meaningful law at this point.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CZ60

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »
He's a lame duck. He can't pass any kind of meaningful law at this point.

Not in the US but UN resolutions.

Not that those mean anything anyway but he can take what he did Friday and multiply it. Everyone is up in arms about that so imagine what their reaction could be if they passed a resolution recognizing a Palestinian state. Or who knows.

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »
religious law
Like I said you can't force your religion on anyone. Religion is a belief. That is something you choose.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2016, 10:32:02 AM »
Not that those mean anything anyway but he can take what he did Friday and multiply it. Everyone is up in arms about that so imagine what their reaction could be if they passed a resolution recognizing a Palestinian state. Or who knows.
At least someone gets it.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
Not in the US but UN resolutions.

Agree. I have a feeling he is trying to ratchet up the pressure already from this hoping to prevent anything more.

Offline CZ60

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
Like I said you can't force your religion on anyone. Religion is a belief. That is something you choose.

Whether you like it or not, there are sets of laws that govern each religion. Whether the person chooses to believe or follow or worship or break those laws is irrelevant. They exist with or without his/her belief. Anyone can believe anything they want but Islamic Law dictates whether you are born Muslim. Whether he or you choose to believe he is or not later on in life, irrelevant. Let him choose not to be Muslim, for all it's worth, or you can choose for him, but under Islamic Law, he may be Muslim. So he can preach I am not a Muslim, and he scream it from a Church or Synagogue, but the reality is, we have to check Islamic Law and whether it dictates whether he was born Muslim and whether he could denounce it later. Let him convert to whatever he wants and not practice anything or everything. Irrelevant to whether he was born Muslim.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2016, 10:47:45 AM »
Whether you like it or not, there are sets of laws that govern each religion. Whether the person chooses to believe or follow or worship or break those laws is irrelevant.
You say this because you believe in your religion. This is what your religion teaches you. It is meaningless to anyone who does not follow your religion. We went off the deep end with this one so you can have the last say as I am done.

Offline CZ60

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 26, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
You say this because you believe in your religion. This is what your religion teaches you. It is meaningless to anyone who does not follow your religion. We went off the deep end with this one so you can have the last say as I am done.

Religion aside, why is it so ludicrous to believe that "Law governs the people, whether you like it or not?" Is that a religious belief? I wasn't aware that putting the Law above yourself is a religious idea. To each their own, though I hope for society's sake, you, along with everyone else, put (insert country here) Law on top, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2016, 11:04:23 AM »
What percentage of Israeli citizens approve of a two state solution?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 26, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
I am pretty sure that polls place it at around 65% as long as it is negotiated and not imposed. That is Bibi's public position as well.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #212 on: December 26, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »

I'm not sure of the numbers, but such statistics would have to be taken with a grain of salt, at the very least. The results would be skewed heavily on exactly how the question was asked. For example, There would be many who would love for there to be peace between two states side by side, they just don't believe that is possible under the Palestinian leadership. So are they in favor of two states? Yes. Are they in favor of two states right now? No. Do they believe Two states is possible in the near future? Probably not.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #213 on: December 26, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »

Anecdotally, I have left wing relatives who were very much in favor of Oslo, land for peace, two states, the whole 9 yards.

They live on a kibbutz in the South, and after the disengagement found themselves just meters from the border. Hamas terrorists came out of a tunnel that was practically in their backyard. 

Suffice to say they no longer believe Israel can negotiate a deal with the Palestinians, not with their kids' playground under concrete, and the extremely real threat of being killed in their sleep.

But *ideally,* do they believe in a two state solution? Yes.

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 26, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
Anecdotally, I have left wing relatives who were very much in favor of Oslo, land for peace, two states, the whole 9 yards.

They live on a kibbutz in the South, and after the disengagement found themselves just meters from the border. Hamas terrorists came out of a tunnel that was practically in their backyard. 

Suffice to say they no longer believe Israel can negotiate a deal with the Palestinians, not with their kids' playground under concrete, and the extremely real threat of being killed in their sleep.

But *ideally,* do they believe in a two state solution? Yes.
well put.
Left wingers who finally realize that their view of how the world should work doesn't actually work.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 26, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
well put.
Left wingers who finally realize that their view of how the world should work doesn't actually work.
[A neoconservative is] a liberal who has been mugged by reality. A neoliberal is a liberal who got mugged by reality but has not pressed charges.
Irving Kristol

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 26, 2016, 12:41:37 PM »
Unless I am reading it wrong there is nothing in the resolution about sanctions or punitive damages.  So it is basically symbolic in nature. Best for Bibi to let this go for now and wait for the new guy.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 26, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
Unless I am reading it wrong there is nothing in the resolution about sanctions or punitive damages.  So it is basically symbolic in nature. Best for Bibi to let this go for now and wait for the new guy.

It changes the law which means that Israel soldiers, government officials and civilians who happen to live in the homes that they were driven out of in 49, can be prosecuted by the ICC.

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 26, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »
@JTZ, I'm shocked how an intelligent man like you, can make such a clueless comment

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 26, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
It changes the law which means that Israel soldiers, government officials and civilians who happen to live in the homes that they were driven out of in 49, can be prosecuted by the ICC.
@JTZ, I'm shocked how an intelligent man like you, can make such a clueless comment
Maybe it is because I look at the UN as a joke.