Author Topic: skipping a leg with united  (Read 8765 times)

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
skipping a leg with united
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:56:34 AM »
If i take a flight from MKE and it stops in ORD wth united can I just print my boarding passes online and just hop on to the flight in ORD?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: skipping a leg with united
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:53 AM »
No, if you miss a leg the rest of the itinerary will get automatically canceled.
You can however fly MKE-ORD-XXX-ORD and skip ORD-MKE if you have no checked luggage.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:32:37 PM »
Oh ok ty.

Offline al613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
If i take a flight from MKE and it stops in ORD wth united can I just print my boarding passes online and just hop on to the flight in ORD?

2 weeks ago i did this exactly at ORD with ticket MKE-ORD-XXX. I have approched the agent and asked him to change my ticket, since I'm already at ORD. I have mentioned to agent that I'm ready to go  to MKE if he does not change it and he changed for free.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:13:24 AM »
Oh nice but it seems risky.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:55:01 AM »
 The basic Rule is no missing any segment except for the last 1, otherwise once you dont fly 1 flight every other flight will be cancelled out

this is Not a UAL issue but 1 that every Carrier adheres to

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:12:56 PM »
ok im about to buy a ticket on delta from burbank with a stop in salt lake city, then lax, then direct to jfk - you think i should just show up at lax?

i guess i could get there a bit early...

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 08:45:04 PM »
What does it hurt to try?

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
If you get a paper ticket, it should work.

(if you cannot get paper ticket, try calling a middle east travel agent (not israel), they will often still have paper)

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »
What does it hurt to try?

Well...

Just about seven hours extra flying.

I drove to lax in the morning, they said nothing to talk about, the ticket would have to be reissued. Burbank was worse, there was no one to talk to. After I checked myself in by the kiosk a from delta was passing by and asked if i checked in ok, i said ya but not really... she was in a rush. Then at the gate i noticed delta's newest way of saving money: the person who holds the red flashlights to direct the plane also mans the gate. If she would have given me the time of day the plane probably would have taken a wrong turn, and i might have missed my connection in lax, so i didnt want to take any risks (and neither did she). Basically, i dont think ill be trying that again. (but i did get like 1,000 extra miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I think i should have just given someone $50 to take the first two legs.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »
Did you fly united or delta?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »
Well...

Just about seven hours extra flying.

I drove to lax in the morning, they said nothing to talk about, the ticket would have to be reissued. Burbank was worse, there was no one to talk to. After I checked myself in by the kiosk a from delta was passing by and asked if i checked in ok, i said ya but not really... she was in a rush. Then at the gate i noticed delta's newest way of saving money: the person who holds the red flashlights to direct the plane also mans the gate. If she would have given me the time of day the plane probably would have taken a wrong turn, and i might have missed my connection in lax, so i didnt want to take any risks (and neither did she). Basically, i dont think ill be trying that again. (but i did get like 1,000 extra miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I think i should have just given someone $50 to take the first two legs.

20 yrs ago that would have worked, but I havent figured out how to get Adam Katz to fly as Avi Cohen. Now if  someone who looks like you and give them your pic ID then it might work.

Otherwise save yourself alot of trouble and simply purchase a tkt that you yourself are willing to fly.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 10:28:54 AM »
If you get a paper ticket, it should work.

(if you cannot get paper ticket, try calling a middle east travel agent (not israel), they will often still have paper)

What good will it help if its a paper tkt, (I remember Never flying w/o a Red Pencil and Pen yrs ago, but sadly those days are long gone).

A person might get lucky on the out bound but even that most likely will be picked up by the computer that the 1st leg wasnt flown. But lets say they are lucky and get away with it, when they want to fly back most likely the computer would have cancelled out the res for the 1st leg not having been flown. So it might work if a r/t tkt is cheaper then a 1 way and all a person wants is to fly 1 way, otherwise the person might end up having to purchase a full fare Y tkt as a 1 way to get back home

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
20 yrs ago that would have worked, but I havent figured out how to get Adam Katz to fly as Avi Cohen. Now if  someone who looks like you and give them your pic ID then it might work.
I've haven't had to show pic ID at the gate in years...it's not hard at all for that to work.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
(I remember Never flying w/o a Red Pencil and Pen yrs ago, but sadly those days are long gone).
???
That reference went straight over my head.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
I've haven't had to show pic ID at the gate in years...it's not hard at all for that to work.

I didnt say at the Gate. I imagine a person can do OLCI and have their friend purchase a tkt on a different flight and get thru TSA! that way, but lately Ive noticed the GAs looking at the BP before swiping it, is it to make sure that TSA has its stamp on it, I wouldnt want to have a GA question me how I got thru TSA w/o their stamping my BP.

Then again theres not enough $$ involved for someone to put themselves at risk ,IMO. Also you will ned to provide a way for the other person to get back to where they flew from. It might work say if I was heading to CLE and I fly as You and then you continue on from CLE and I will fly back Home after you have flown back to CLE. But the % of something like that working out is slim, so now how do I get back home if I dont want to be in CLE till you return?

So although in Principal it might be workable, its not a real option since of the problems of getting the person flying the 1st leg back home, chance that the GA will spot no TSA marks on the BP, and finding someone to actually be willing to fly the 1st and/or last segments for little or no $$.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »
???
That reference went straight over my head.

Before you were even born there was no such thing as E-Tkts. Each paper tkt had x amount of copies to it and each segment needed its own slip. When the TA wrote on the top slip it went thru till the last slip. So if a person wasnt gonna meet all of the fares requirements (eg min stay of days). The TA would press very lightly on the top slip so that it didnt show up completely on the last slip, then time to get out the Red Pencil and fill in what needed to be and it looked like it was simply never changed .

The TA of cause went in and changed the res on their computer but with the Collection of Offical Carrier Stickers that you put on the slip and using the Red Pencil, it was a Slam Dunk and off you went.

Of cause you needed to know how to do it and have the Offical stickers, but that was simple . Once they went to printing the tkts and no longer having them issued Manually that ended that. true the TA might receive a Chareg back but usually a call to their sales person got it all wiped out.

Oh the Good Ole Days how I miss them, now either you pay to change everything or fly as tkted, the fun is gone

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 02:26:09 PM »
I didnt say at the Gate. I imagine a person can do OLCI and have their friend purchase a tkt on a different flight and get thru TSA! that way, but lately Ive noticed the GAs looking at the BP before swiping it, is it to make sure that TSA has its stamp on it, I wouldnt want to have a GA question me how I got thru TSA w/o their stamping my BP.

Then again theres not enough $$ involved for someone to put themselves at risk ,IMO. Also you will ned to provide a way for the other person to get back to where they flew from. It might work say if I was heading to CLE and I fly as You and then you continue on from CLE and I will fly back Home after you have flown back to CLE. But the % of something like that working out is slim, so now how do I get back home if I dont want to be in CLE till you return?

So although in Principal it might be workable, its not a real option since of the problems of getting the person flying the 1st leg back home, chance that the GA will spot no TSA marks on the BP, and finding someone to actually be willing to fly the 1st and/or last segments for little or no $$.
I often change my ticket at a kiosk or in the club post-security...not having a stamp has never raised an eyebrow for me.

As long as there are no bags being checked (or there are only bags from the origin and you check them in yourself) and you have a CC to buy a refundable ticket (or have a club membership) to get past TSA there shouldnt be an issue.

Not that I recommend doing any of this...just that it's entirely possible to accomplish.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »
When using a paper ticket, the segments aren't so connected (whatever this means), and especially if switching airline (within the same alliance) they will not cancel the rest.
For the same reason you could play around with the paper tickets, as most of its info was on the paper and not electronic, meaning the computer.