Author Topic: skipping a leg with united  (Read 8766 times)

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: skipping a leg with united
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:45 PM »
Dan

I did mention about getting another tkt , didnt state make sure its a Fully Refundable. . Its rare except when Im Battlefield to switch BPs once Im thru TSA. But i have seen where a GA does give  BPs a quick going over. But as you said I guess if a person changes their seat then a new BP will be produced and if done on teh other side of TSA then no markings will be on it

Yea its doable but again, I dont know many people that will take the 1st flight unless there was something substanial in it for them and then theres the problem of getting them back to where they flew in from. All in all when all the expenses will be added up it probably wont make too much sense to try and pull this off

Bout the thing that may pay is to do a Multi-city and start somewhere else (problem is how to get there) and then end where you want to. Dont know if it will cost effective.

Although based a few miles from EWR, I have driven numerous times to PHL & BDL due to the cheap fares, and the majority of teh times my 1st flight is to EWR to catch teh flight I really wanted to be on. But I fly from and back to that originating Airport.

Sort of like what you do by driving to CAK to catch FL, but Im flying CO,UA,AA and not any LCCs

Id say 3 hrs is the max Id drive to catch an ElCheapo thats on both ends, so LAS will work when LA is my destination as well

Never did the friend thing simply because I have too many miles at stake that if caught will mean my acct being Closed and miles taken away.. If my acct had almost no miles and there was at least $1000 in savings I might try it. Under those 2 conditions, I highly doubt it will ever be played out by me.

Not that I recommend doing any of this...just that it's entirely possible to accomplish.
[/quote]

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
When using a paper ticket, the segments aren't so connected (whatever this means), and especially if switching airline (within the same alliance) they will not cancel the rest.
For the same reason you could play around with the paper tickets, as most of its info was on the paper and not electronic, meaning the computer.

again this may work on the OutBound flight, but if the return isnt within 24-48 hrs the computer will most likely catch what took place and cancel out the return.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
again this may work on the OutBound flight, but if the return isnt within 24-48 hrs the computer will most likely catch what took place and cancel out the return.

With all due respect, time is not an aspect here, the computer will for 99% not catch on with paper, but the most secure would be to involve different airlines.

For the people who want to risk to skip a segment, it sometimes help to make an online check-in for the not-to-be-flown segment, and although there will be a no-show, it sometimes still keeps the remainder of the trip intact.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »
Did you fly united or delta?

Delta

I often change my ticket at a kiosk or in the club post-security...not having a stamp has never raised an eyebrow for me.

All the time. Also, i have been able to skip legs at the gate, i remember once with AA, and they changed the destination for me too, making it a perfect flight, lax-jfk, and just recently with united.

and theres no prob getting someone from burbank to lax

i was thinking to just find someone on an arriving flight who looked like he could use $50...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
i was thinking to just find someone on an arriving flight who looked like he could use $50...
It would probably work, but like Steve2 said, is it worth the risk?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »
It would probably work, but like Steve2 said, is it worth the risk?

thats for sure not, b/c im depending on some strangers intelligence that i should make my flight

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
thats for sure not, b/c im depending on some strangers intelligence that i should make my flight

also dont forget to figure in the possibilty that the Original Flight will be delayed or canceled and the Carrier will want to book you on a another flight to the destination or even via a different carrier

I can see it now, sir we are FIMing you over to USAir and putting you on their PHX-EWR non-stop which will get you into EWR 15 mins before the flight from LAX would have.

The person flying for You: No Thanks I insist on flying the flights exactly as I purchased them, even it means me having to stay overnight at LAX and pay for it myself and get into EWR a day late

Simply not worth it IMO, too many things that can go wrong and not enough incentive ($$ saved ) to warrant playing the game