Author Topic: Amex Pop up/ bonus jail  (Read 6144 times)

Offline NYHeel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Pop up/ bonus jail
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2023, 10:27:37 AM »
I spend a lot but I am still in the 'pop up jail'. I guess YMMV
Same situation for me. I'm still stuck in the pop up jail and I've spent about $2500 on one Amex card in the last month. Been this way for about 2 months now. I think I have 3 primary personal cards, 1 primary business and 1 corporate card with them. I haven't closed an Amex card in 6+ years according to my credit report. I'm also the AU for a few accounts from my wife. Should I close one of my personal cards? I've been meaning to anyway. Or should I move some spending around? I have some big expenses coming up that I can use a credit card for so I can put it on one of the unused Amex cards. Is that recommended? 

I'm trying to sign up for the Amex green card. I get a $75 annual fee discount/credit from my corporate card so it's a nice 60k MR sign up bonus plus $200 back in travel/transit (20% of purchase).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 10:38:00 AM by NYHeel »

Offline monsey yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2023, 10:26:23 AM »
Same situation for me. I'm still stuck in the pop up jail and I've spent about $2500 on one Amex card in the last month. Been this way for about 2 months now. I think I have 3 primary personal cards, 1 primary business and 1 corporate card with them. I haven't closed an Amex card in 6+ years according to my credit report. I'm also the AU for a few accounts from my wife. Should I close one of my personal cards? I've been meaning to anyway. Or should I move some spending around? I have some big expenses coming up that I can use a credit card for so I can put it on one of the unused Amex cards. Is that recommended? 

I'm trying to sign up for the Amex green card. I get a $75 annual fee discount/credit from my corporate card so it's a nice 60k MR sign up bonus plus $200 back in travel/transit (20% of purchase).

It’s recommended to spend for 3 consecutive months
If you like my post give me a like!

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2023, 10:33:43 AM »

A few months is nothing. My wife has been getting the pop up for years, though I haven't tried especially hard to get her out.

I imagine closing an account will only look worse. I'd move spending around as much as possible and try again in a few months.

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2023, 06:42:52 PM »
A few months is nothing. My wife has been getting the pop up for years, though I haven't tried especially hard to get her out.

I imagine closing an account will only look worse. I'd move spending around as much as possible and try again in a few months.
I've consistently spent about $1,000 a month on that one card for years. It was just a little short for a few months. I don't spend too much on the other two though.

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2023, 06:57:28 PM »
My understanding is that you need to be spending a lot more than 1,000 per month in order to get out of pop-up jail. more in the 5,000 to $10,000 per month range

Offline NYHeel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 12:52:56 PM »
My understanding is that you need to be spending a lot more than 1,000 per month in order to get out of pop-up jail. more in the 5,000 to $10,000 per month range
In that case I'm likely never getting out of popup jail.

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2023, 08:17:18 AM »
In that case I'm likely never getting out of popup jail.
I've been in pop up jail before, and I got out without spending 5k+.
I did shift my spend to all my Amex cards iirc.

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »
If I got this message, and I don't mind not getting the SUB, will I really not get the intro APR as well? never seen that before

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2023, 12:01:17 AM »
If I got this message, and I don't mind not getting the SUB, will I really not get the intro APR as well? never seen that before

Unfortunately, you will not get the intro APR. A friend of mine didn’t read the pop up correctly and found out the hard way.

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2024, 08:00:33 AM »
Has anyone had an apparent pop up prison only for cobranded cards, but for example amex business gold and blue business card were approved with no pop up? Im having that now.

Offline Mareh Makom

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2024, 08:07:19 AM »
Has anyone had an apparent pop up prison only for cobranded cards, but for example amex business gold and blue business card were approved with no pop up? Im having that now.
I had same experience but i was/am in pop up jail for personal cards as well

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2024, 01:17:52 PM »
I had same experience but i was/am in pop up jail for personal cards as well

were you able to get cobranded business cards? happens to be the two that i tried were both personal

Offline Mareh Makom

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2024, 03:23:32 PM »
I think i tired for a co branded business card and it didnt work, but not 100% sure

Offline baron

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2024, 03:46:42 PM »
Yes me too, can only do business cards didn’t try cobranded. Not only that, the business ones they send me offers for, tons of offers. Mail and online.