Author Topic: Spreading Fake News Via Whatsapp and Social Media  (Read 18012 times)

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Spreading Fake News Via Whatsapp and Social Media
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2019, 04:42:20 PM »
BDE! I feel terrible for this family and i hope they will have a lot of strength to be able to get over yet another loss in their family.

In regard to the fake news issue. With full respect, obviously people are curious. We are humans and when something seems weird we want to find out what happened. Is it right? absolutely not. It's not our privilege to know exactly what happened. but do hidden stories peak the interest? yes.  that's why people are up with it. To say that It's not understandable is a bit naive.

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2019, 04:50:18 PM »
BDE! I feel terrible for this family and i hope they will have a lot of strength to be able to get over yet another loss in their family.

In regard to the fake news issue. With full respect, obviously people are curious. We are humans and when something seems weird we want to find out what happened. Is it right? absolutely not. It's not our privilege to know exactly what happened. but do hidden stories peak the interest? yes.  that's why people are up with it. To say that It's not understandable is a bit naive.
Curiosity is one thing. It's about what you do with that curiosity. I understand the curiosity, I don't understand the verbal diarrhea that accompanies it.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »
For example, if the incident happened in Beachwood as opposed to Cleveland - is that material?
It's not material to us, but it was brought up in the context that it should've been material to those "news" outlets who connected these stories.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »
Agreed, but some details are more material than others. For example, if the incident happened in Beachwood as opposed to Cleveland - is that material? How about compared to some of the other fake news regarding shootings, such as the recent monsey shooting that was immediately denounced as being a "hate crime?"
The whole fake news story going around was based on a real news article of a murder in Cleveland proper last night, with the location being Cleveland’s Clark-Fulton neighborhood, and some Jewish News sites decided to link the 2 cases.

The link was Cleveland and Cleveland, but anyone that knows Cleveland knows that NO Jews live in the Clark-Fulton neighborhood, https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2019/12/man-killed-woman-injured-in-shooting-in-clevelands-clark-fulton-neighborhood.html

Background given, capiche? Can we move on now please?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2019, 05:36:59 PM »
Jim Hartnett:

*Israeli media has issued a false news release* that a Cleveland Chabad Rabbi was murdered last night. I confirmed with Cleveland Police Deputy Chief Harold Pretel Beachwood Police have issued a press release that they responded to a domestic situation on Timberlane last night with a deceased male. The cause of death was a (self-censoring). All occupants of the home were known to each other. There is no threat to the community.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »
Can we move the discussion part to another thread? @Dan @jj1000
Second request!!!
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2019, 05:41:39 PM »
Which thread? Nosy news? Fake news?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »
Does not matter, just not in this thread.
This thread has done a good job of keeping itself on topic for the most part. Would like to see that continue.
Now I am adding to the problem so this will be my last post on it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »
Trash bin
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »
"RIP standards"
Yes it's a pun.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2019, 07:36:43 PM »
Yossi Bialo Z”L

People need to once in a while check in on their friends and offer help if needed. Sometimes people need to be proactive and sense if a friend needs help even if the friend does not ask. Don’t wait until it’s too late, and don’t assume “someone else” will help.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2019, 07:38:56 PM »
Why do people jump all over these things? At least a news agency just wants to break a story, but why do people care? A man is dead! It's terrible. It will change nothing if this guy was shot, or burned, or strangled, or hit by a car. There is no public safety concern. What more do we need to know? Imagine this was your family member c"v, would you want people scrambling for this info. Not to mention, there may be info involved that can be extremely shameful to the deceased or their family that definitely doesn't need to make it's rounds. Wish your condolences, and move on. Let the man rest in peace.

Sorry but we can’t have it both ways. Social media has turned us into something less than human beings. When what I ate in which restaurant and my latest vacation pics with the wife and or kids becomes everyone else’s business( including on DDF), I have taken what used to be a reshus hayachid, my private life, and deliberately turned it into a reshus harabim. And that creates a sense of entitlement- people feel that they have a right to know what is going on in a reshus harabim. We have taken מה טובו אהליך יעקב, the concept of privacy in our homes and lives that Klal Yisrael once excelled in and discarded it for social media, and the secular concept of putting everything out there in the reshus harabim. Well, that’s what people do in a reshus harabim. They rubberneck.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2019, 08:06:09 PM »
Sorry but we can’t have it both ways. Social media has turned us into something less than human beings. When what I ate in which restaurant and my latest vacation pics with the wife and or kids becomes everyone else’s business( including on DDF), I have taken what used to be a reshus hayachid, my private life, and deliberately turned it into a reshus harabim. And that creates a sense of entitlement- people feel that they have a right to know what is going on in a reshus harabim. We have taken מה טובו אהליך יעקב, the concept of privacy in our homes and lives that Klal Yisrael once excelled in and discarded it for social media, and the secular concept of putting everything out there in the reshus harabim. Well, that’s what people do in a reshus harabim. They rubberneck.
Well stated. Which is why some of us won't have Facebook accounts, limit Twitter use to necessary communication. And avoid most Whatsapp groups.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »
It's interesting how (relatively) calm DDF is. One would think there would be more chaos, given the relative annonymity that exists here. With Facebook, most people use their real name and picture.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2019, 09:33:03 PM »
It's interesting how (relatively) calm DDF is. One would think there would be more chaos, given the relative annonymity that exists here. With Facebook, most people use their real name and picture.
The beauty of DDF.

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2019, 11:08:45 PM »

Yep, It's why I deleted Facebook. I don't have Twitter Instagram Snapchat or any other of these.

But sometimes certain stories can help us be wise.

I was a pioneer of legal firearm ownership and training in South Florida

Zalman Meyer-smith of CSO will tell you that I was the first person here calling out these security issues

So I think like we need to protect everybody's privacy but also knowing what's really going on can often help us be alert.

I'm not commenting about this particular case because I don't know anything and I'm friends with the family and even if I wasn't the case I still would not comment in protecting and respecting everybody's privacy.

I'm just saying overall sometimes we see certain situations and it's important that we get an honest and clear picture of what happened so we can address to the appropriate way on the other hand or other times it's a clear violation of a family's desirable privacy which is just somebody sheer curiosity violating it

Offline menachem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »
True true. A wake up call. ty

Offline menachem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2019, 11:16:09 PM »

But sometimes certain stories can help us be wise.

I'm just saying overall sometimes we see certain situations and it's important that we get an honest and clear picture of what happened so we can address to the appropriate way on the other hand or other times it's a clear violation of a family's desirable privacy which is just somebody sheer curiosity violating it
%100
For example, when it was written by several teenagers death 'untimely',but when they realized that informing the public that drug misuse was the cause, it made more awareness & education of how to detect and help them..

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2019, 11:21:33 PM »

No. Not at all. It's sad that people let social media dictate their lives. My life dictates my social media. I don't post things that I wouldn't otherwise have told those individuals about. I don't connect with people I wouldn't have otherwise. Some of us aren't led by outside sources in life. As a matter of fact, I post more info on DDF, than on my social media, specifically because I'm "anonymous". Also, as I said previously, even if our nature has changed a bit, that doesn't mean your mouth (or fingers) need to display that change externally. As is for everything, there is a line you don't cross, regardless of human nature. I never asked for it both ways, and I stand by what I said.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Online yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2019, 11:21:49 PM »

Very true.

In some situations, once a rumor is spread, you can understand that people are scared and want to hear if it was some type of attack, especially so soon after Jersey City. That was my reaction. However, once we find out that it wasn't anything like that,  everyone should mind their own business. There is a clear difference between inquiring about a story and spreading stories.