Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1708116 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #1440 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »
Strongly considering it, but it would likely mean getting blacklisted from Chase forever, win or lose.

small claims court :o -- u do not understand :o -- u are playing in chases field with his ball his bat his glove  8)-- u will never win ,they will make sure of that -and i would assumed - finished with chase cards for life --

look at ft http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated/1248260-united-months-miles-179.html

post #2681#  2682 etc -- marathon man was right -- but he lost

Offline shidduch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 15, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
Where do u see evidence that you will be permanently banned from chase?  I think smalls claims court is definitely worth it.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »
Where do u see evidence that you will be permanently banned from chase?  I think smalls claims court is definitely worth it.

GOOD LUCK --what did chase not follow in t/c?--- what did u not follow in t/c ?

if u go to court -- GET A LAWYER -- chase will have an attorney -- rare that individual wins when up against an attorney in court --- ny puts out a small claims hand book on HOW TO -- SUGGEST you get it

Offline shidduch

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: May 15, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
Generally people dont get attorneys for small claims court.  Lets just say I am not worried as I know quite a bit about smalls claims. 

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: May 15, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »
Generally people dont get attorneys for small claims court.  Lets just say I am not worried as I know quite a bit about smalls claims.

ok -- good for you -- most people in s.c.court do not go up against Americas biggest bank -- i have been in court many time and have watched many a right individual  get crunched  by a mediocre attorney --"they say if want justice the court is not the place to get it " do hope you win--- if it was me i would try to get a few who live in ny and did nothing wrong get together and file in same court/date  --

Offline shidduch

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 15, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
As long as someone is prepared with evidence and has everything documented it shouldnt be a problem.  Plus I am hoping that chase settles out of court to avoid the negative press.

Many companies have done that in the past and I am hoping chase will do that.  otherwise, they may win a court case but end up looking like fools in the court of public opinion.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 15, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »
look at ft http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated/1248260-united-months-miles-179.html

post #2681#  2682 etc -- marathon man was right -- but he lost
Actually MM was not right. He was told by many to just let this go. You have to know when to pick your fights.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
Actually MM was not right. He was told by many to just let this go. You have to know when to pick your fights.
why was he not right on the essence of his case? --  do u think they gave him his points on good will ?-- he followed the t/c -- not so convinced those that got a/a did follow t/c

i agree know when to pick a fight with a 1000 pound gorilla-- m.m was fighting  a baby compared to chase -- i was just trying to say -- ur not going to win in a nice way -- you will be out of ur class , this is not the neighborhood cleaner who ruined ur coat  --plus it will cost u money to file

tell me , ur a smart guy who knows all about these things -- should they go to court?-- will they cave a good chance to win?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: May 15, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
@SPLP - These are two different situations. There were a lot of games being played with these shopping malls that Cartera Commerce is the backend processor for. When certain things don’t post many just consider it as a cost of doing business and move on to the next deal.

Chase is a different situation. I don’t see any downside to small claims court except your time. With the proper lead plaintiff I would go the route of a class action suit. 

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: May 15, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »
@SPLP - These are two different situations. There were a lot of games being played with these shopping malls that Cartera Commerce is the backend processor for. When certain things don’t post many just consider it as a cost of doing business and move on to the next deal.

Chase is a different situation. I don’t see any downside to small claims court except your time. With the proper lead plaintiff I would go the route of a class action suit.

i understood that cartera is not the same facts as chase -- was and is small potatoes -- chase is the "real thing" -- cartera made sure they won at any cost ( posted mm miles so judge would rule in its favor since claim was satisfied ) , and tried to discredit mm plus post his personal info on the internet, knowing m.m could not do anything about it --- chase has a/a many people , chase  will fight real hard -- individuals do not stand a chance against a good attorney ,they know the law and every trick in the book -- those that want to go to court -- go-- understand no matter what it will cost you !!  money- time and chase will never issue you a card again-- like i said -- i wish you all luck --when and if u file , let us know court date so we can cheer for you   

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 15, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
Do I understand you correctly that if someone files a small claims suit against Chase you are saying they will then take the punitive action of closing all their accounts just because they filed the suit?

Offline shidduch

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 15, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
SPLP,

You forget one very important aspect of the banking business.  It is built on trust.  Once trust is lost the company can shut down in a matter of days (see Lehman, Bear, etc).  Bad publicity is a very bad thing for a bank (especially the investment banking side of things).

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 15, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
Do I understand you correctly that if someone files a small claims suit against Chase you are saying they will then take the punitive action of closing all their accounts just because they filed the suit?

if they want to they can --but  i assume reason going to court is because chase did that already -if i am wrong -- why are they going to court ? chase is not a utility that they "must" grant u credit - i do not think they"must" do business with the enemy -- if you guys want to fight them -have fun!-- no one has answered that "they" followed the t/c "they agreed 2 -- or did anyone say chase did not follow the t/c -- do u believe that chase wants to get rid of customers that follow the rules- i do not think so -- 

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
How about just type in English so all members can understand.

+1

Offline helixcardinal

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: May 16, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »
why was he not right on the essence of his case? --  do u think they gave him his points on good will ?-- he followed the t/c -- not so convinced those that got a/a did follow t/c

i agree know when to pick a fight with a 1000 pound gorilla-- m.m was fighting  a baby compared to chase -- i was just trying to say -- ur not going to win in a nice way -- you will be out of ur class , this is not the neighborhood cleaner who ruined ur coat  --plus it will cost u money to file

tell me , ur a smart guy who knows all about these things -- should they go to court?-- will they cave a good chance to win?

I followed their T&Cs, no churning, no GC purchases, nothing sketchy at all.  They even told me I was closed down because of too much credit essentially.  No not used as intended funny business. 

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: May 16, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
helixcardinal

If what you listed on ur credit applications were factual and you did nothing wrong , you should try to get reinstated , may be better if first send a letter/letters with some proof  to try to resolve . or have an attorney do it for you

I just looked at welcome to ink  that comes with the c.c.

the t/c says " we may close or suspend  your account. Sometimes we close accounts based not on your actions or in actions ,but on our  business needs
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:03:23 PM by SPLP »

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: May 16, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
exactly, so all these closures are in their 'biz needs' b/c it reduces their exposure.

Offline Asher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »
helixcardinal

If what you listed on ur credit applications were factual and you did nothing wrong , you should try to get reinstated , may be better if first send a letter/letters with some proof  to try to resolve . or have an attorney do it for you

I just looked at welcome to ink  that comes with the c.c.

the t/c says " we may close or suspend  your account. Sometimes we close accounts based not on your actions or in actions ,but on our  business needs
No one doubts that according to their T&C they can shut you at any given time and no excuse needed..

HOWEVER, their are/were numerous cases where the Judge (civil, supreme or small claims) would side with the client/consumer even in cases such as this where the FI will clearly state in their T&C that they have the right to expell/shut at any given time no reason no excuse- the judge could/would still side the consumer for many different reasons. Fact remains that a bank and FI has lots of banking rules they have to follow which will very often supersede their T&C (unlike any other contracted business such as cellphone and cable services where their T&C is the ruling factor when it comes to suits).

These are not my words (although I do have some law knowledge being that it's part of my profession); rather what I've heard from a law clerk to one of the famous brooklyn Supreme court Judges.

That being said, for someone who knows he/she clearly didn't violate the T&C, I would strongly suggest taking it to court and the most suitable for such cases are small claims courts (preferably at "the people's court" so that we can all get the satisfaction of watching Chase being bashed in front of millions of people...)

Speaking of follwing the T&C, i would like to point out:
racking up lots of reward points/miles by spending wisley (e.g. using the Amex PRG exclusively at the pump and the chase freedom at the proper rotating categories as well as receiving Signup bonuses on public offers - are abseloutely not in contradiction with their T&C - but churning and selling points/miles are.

HATZLACAH!

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: May 16, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
WE AGREE --racking up lots of reward points/miles by spending wisley (e.g. using the Amex PRG exclusively at the pump and the chase freedom at the proper rotating categories as well as receiving Signup bonuses on public offers - are abseloutely not in contradiction with their T&C - but churning and selling points/miles are.

do you think many who follow all the rules get shut down -- not me -- we know many tricks are used that more than bend the rules and that becomes the GOTCHA!!

Spending wisely to max points will not get u shut down

so --who is going to court to fight chase ? if it is a few of you --maybe try to work together  if u can , better to try to portray -- they pick on "us" we did nothing wrong

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
« Reply #1459 on: May 16, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
i never sold points- i never churned- and i was shut down