Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1710006 times)

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #1480 on: May 20, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
Oiy.

One day you'll learn not to just run your mouth.

For now, you can digest this: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/07/24/the-revolution-rolls-on-jpmorgan-chase-suspends-arbitration-activity/

Also, extra credit for finding the term arbitration in either the chase ultimate rewards t&c, or chase sapphire preferred t&c.

Our Dear AJK,
Hate to be harsh but I’ve hold this for quite a while...

1 day you'll learn not to just always and on every issue try to create an hostile environment here at DDF and not always to take Chase's side to the outrage of 99% of the DDF'rs (specifically the ones who were A/Ad :'(  )..

It is one thing being realistic and challenge certain aspects of one’s legal intensions by explaining why it wouldn't work... But what you're doing is: discourage and mocking every idea brought up here in this thread to put a stop to these A/As  >:(

And I am talking about people who did comply with chase rules (like @satturn and more) and yet still were A/Ad. 

I have a feeling that this is why people didn't decide to stand up for their rights (yet..). They come here for help and advice and yet leave discouraged, dispirited and dejected.

p.s. I must say, your points are mostly valid and true (at least most of the time) and you do have a heck of a lot of knowledge. it's just the way you express yourself..
(e.g. you could've answered him (@Meshugener) 1- and in the same post explain why you disagree and add the proof/link.. and not just use this short 1 liner 1- , etc.

Let's get this thread back on the right track, symptomatic, encouraging and productive.

Shall we?

Offline Asher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »
Our Dear AJK,
Hate to be harsh but I’ve hold this for quite a while...

Let's get this thread back on the right track, symptomatic, encouraging and productive.

Shall we?

1+
I do agree with what you've said
But on the other hand, you yourself are being a little impolite and hostile..

If i may, Let me repeat what you you just wrote: Let's get this thread back on the right track, symptomatic, encouraging and productive AND PEACEFUL!

Unity is what gave us jewish people the Torah - כאיש אחד בלב אחד!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:41:22 AM by Asher »

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #1482 on: May 20, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
Anyone ever noticed this from Chase t&c:
....Replying to this offer: If you omit
any information on the form, we
may deny your request for an
account. If applicable, Chase
cardmembers who currently have or
have had a Chase credit card in any
Rewards Program associated with
this offer or have received a similar
bonus offer, may not be eligible for a
second Chase credit card in the
same Rewards Program, or for any
bonus offer. Chase cardmembers
currently receiving promotional
pricing, or Chase cardmembers with
a history of only using their current
or prior Chase card for promotional
pricing offers, are not eligible for a
second Chase credit card with
promotional pricing......
So, I'd say you only 'have' a Feedom card, or you once in your life received any minor bonus on a Feedom card, you're not allowed to even have a sapphire, cuz they're both affiliated with the ultimate reward program.
So legally, they have a lot of valid points to argue why they may shut you down, and why they may get away with all your points.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 20, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »
This post will either make this thread hit 100 pages or get very very close. My point is that lately most posts in this thread are useless chatter, much like this post :)
it's getting to be a waste of time checking this thread, and its always being updated with more and more garbage. Please try to keep it to useful stuff. If you wanna hock around there's "just shmooze"
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #1484 on: May 20, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »
if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: May 20, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »
This post will either make this thread hit 100 pages or get very very close. My point is that lately most posts in this thread are useless chatter, much like this post :)
it's getting to be a waste of time checking this thread, and its always being updated with more and more garbage. Please try to keep it to useful stuff. If you wanna hock around there's "just shmooze"
That is why master threads like this never work. If you want a master thread to talk about say travel to a certain city/country that will usually work. This type of topic you can just forget about it. Too many variables. It would be better for everyone that received AA from Chase to start their own thread about it. At another forum that was done with individual AOR’s and it worked great.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 20, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »
…as you have demonstrated recently.  :P
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 20, 2012, 01:27:51 PM »
welcome back to our kitchen, we accept you back even though you so rudely left us, and spoke out against the owner of our kitchen, but please don't throw me out of our kitchen, remember - you just got back here - 1st let the dust settle :)
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 20, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
Now you're right.
Let's do all these kitchen/chicken talk in the appropriate board/thread.

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 22, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
Hi i was just A/A'd by chase and after fighting with a few people managed to get 2 out of 4 of my cards reopened as well as reclaim my points b'"h. Just wondering if i do nothing about the other two cards. will that wreck my credit score? is it worth trying to convince them to  at least make it look as though i closed the cards and not them? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
And how long should i wait after something like this before i even think abou trying to get another credit card (or specifically a chase cc?)

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 22, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
Hi i was just A/A'd by chase and after fighting with a few people managed to get 2 out of 4 of my cards reopened as well as reclaim my points b'"h. Just wondering if i do nothing about the other two cards. will that wreck my credit score? is it worth trying to convince them to  at least make it look as though i closed the cards and not them? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
And how long should i wait after something like this before i even think abou trying to get another credit card (or specifically a chase cc?)
Give the whole story how did you get them to re open ur accounts

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »

Mazal Tov on the (semi-)survival.

Why did they AA you? Who re you working with? The Executive team/department? How did you convince them to reopen your accounts? Thanks for haring your experiences.

I don't think "closed by issuer" affects your score (compared to "closed by consumer"), though it might raise flags when a bank considers you for new credit. I would try to convince them to list the cards as "closed by consumer", but I'd only ask after I give up on getting them to reopen the accounts.

I would lie low for new accounts for at least a little while, at least if I valued my relationship with Chase.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 22, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
I recived a preapproved cc offer from citi for the thankyou premier card with 50,000 points and no annual fee. So i decided why not go for it. Well after the additional $10,000 credit that citi gave me posted to my overall credit, chase pretty much deided that i had too much credit based on my income and they just shut me down (never mind that every other card that i had was opened by chase!). After having no luck with the number that they told me to call in the letter (1800-219-0015 i think it was, i called twice and got the same "unfortuantely at this time i cant do anything", blah blah blah stuff) i called the executive offices and got some guy named kirt who after pulling my credit told me that hed reinstate one card. i asked him if he could reinstate all 4 and just lower the cc limits, after all they gave them to me i didnt ask for such high limits. he says ok two cards but thats it. of course he gave me the same high limits of 10,000 dolaars each per card!  So much for that. But im somewhat nervous to hock the other two, "tafasta meruba lo tafasta". What do you think?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
I recived a preapproved cc offer from citi for the thankyou premier card with 50,000 points and no annual fee. So i decided why not go for it. Well after the additional $10,000 credit that citi gave me posted to my overall credit, chase pretty much deided that i had too much credit based on my income and they just shut me down (never mind that every other card that i had was opened by chase!). After having no luck with the number that they told me to call in the letter (1800-219-0015 i think it was, i called twice and got the same "unfortuantely at this time i cant do anything", blah blah blah stuff) i called the executive offices and got some guy named kirt who after pulling my credit told me that hed reinstate one card. i asked him if he could reinstate all 4 and just lower the cc limits, after all they gave them to me i didnt ask for such high limits. he says ok two cards but thats it. of course he gave me the same high limits of 10,000 dolaars each per card!  So much for that. But im somewhat nervous to hock the other two, "tafasta meruba lo tafasta". What do you think?

How much were your original limits? I think you did great!

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 22, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »
great job!

Mods, any way to merge this thread with the Chase A/A thread?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
As HelpMe points out, its better to have a separate thread for each case.
We evidence again the huge difference between closed cuz of credit risk and closed as a result of not used as intended.
Congrats you, OP!

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 22, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
How much were your original limits? I think you did great!

Four cards 3 with 10k and 1 with 12k. plus the additional 10k adds to 52k overall credit. and i wrote that i make 80k a year!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 22, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
Four cards 3 with 10k and 1 with 12k. plus the additional 10k adds to 52k overall credit. and i wrote that i make 80k a year!

Those are your only cards? Sounds pretty strict of Chase, glad you got reopened.

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 22, 2012, 01:34:11 PM »
Those are your only cards? Sounds pretty strict of Chase, glad you got reopened.
Well my only active cards. The first two guys told me that they couldnt reopen because i had 9 cc's in 2011. But two of them were amex cards which were shut already a year ago! And one was simply an authorized user on my fathers credit line! So their entire story was anyway full of holes.
And that is after explaing to them taht i only have the cards becuase i fly a lot and i have the card not for the credit itself but for the benefits associated with the cards. plus i never mised a payment, pay in full, carry low balances, etc... for the 5 years that ive had credit.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 23, 2012, 02:33:04 AM »
And one was simply an authorized user on my fathers credit line!
Yes, I wrote about this.
If You See Something, Say Something!!