Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1709785 times)

Offline Mimi K.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #2460 on: March 19, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »
They already told me that I won't be able to open any more accounts with them in the future..
Never trust CSRs they generaly have no Idea what they are talking about.  ::) ::)
If you have a letter stating that then maybe.

What I had people who were shut down from my activities do is open a new card. Say united or SW
and ask them to move the CL and close the Sapphire.
Some did it with new Sapphires but I'm not sure how they explained that.
Either way an account "Closed by credit Grantor" is not a "Bad mark" it happens all the time due to inactivity.
But it may prompt some questions on new apps so best not to have it if possible.
But don't sweat it.
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Stuff!" 8)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 19, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »
I would fight till the last second. But FIGHT like a man.
How exactly do you fight against this repeated statement:
"We have exercised our right to close your account. We will not provide a reason why"
What I had people who were shut down from my activities do is open a new card. Say united or SW
Can you please be more clear about these points?
Thanks.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 19, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
Never trust CSRs they generaly have no Idea what they are talking about.  ::) ::)
If you have a letter stating that then maybe.

Either way an account "Closed by credit Grantor" is not a "Bad mark" it happens all the time due to inactivity.
But it may prompt some questions on new apps so best not to have it if possible.
But don't sweat it.
1)what does cc have to do with bank accounts
2)they can see on report if there was no activity and then it may not be such a 'bad mark' but when they see activity its a bad mark

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: March 19, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
Leaving to the bank soon to cash out.
Again, this Thurs. is supposed to be the day they will close it.
Should I leave it open and try to fight (with the narrow timeframe) and risk them closing me, or play it safe and close it myself?
Or no difference?
no experiences with a case like this. i would say no dif, if crabtree helps you she can open you a new account if she cant, other banks will still take you, and i would guess with chase its over, whoever closes it.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 19, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »
no experiences with a case like this. i would say no dif, if crabtree helps you she can open you a new account if she cant, other banks will still take you, and i would guess with chase its over, whoever closes it.
Finally someone actually addressing my question, thanks.
The tricky part is getting Crabtree to open me a new acct even after I went ahead and closed my own..

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
« Reply #2465 on: March 20, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
Finally someone actually addressing my question, thanks.
The tricky part is getting Crabtree to open me a new acct even after I went ahead and closed my own..

I would fight throughout today if you have the time, but close everything on my own as they are closing it anyways. I prefer to have closed by me rather than closed by credit grantor etc.

You can still fight after you are closed down. If they decide to allow you back in you can just open a new account. Don't see the issue.
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 20, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »
I would fight throughout today if you have the time, but close everything on my own as they are closing it anyways. I prefer to have closed by me rather than closed by credit grantor etc.

You can still fight after you are closed down. If they decide to allow you back in you can just open a new account. Don't see the issue.
I cashed out this morning but didn't close yet. Was gonna call Crabtree first...
Close everything as in CC's as well?

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #2467 on: March 20, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: March 20, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Update:
Crabtree called me back and told me that the decision of closure is final so I am calling Chase now and closing the account myself.

Regarding the CC's she said she needs to discuss it with someone from the CC executive department and he will get back to me with an answer regarding the CC's. She said she is trying to get a hold of him now...

Doesn't look too good..... :(

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #2469 on: March 20, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »
Not sure why you even brought up the CC issue with her.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: March 20, 2013, 05:09:01 PM »
Not sure why you even brought up the CC issue with her.

+1000
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2471 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: March 20, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »
Cause I wanted to know if I should preemptively close them so that I have a cleaner CR. Not like I have any UR or pending bonuses so, other than having my oldest card with them I would have much rather go that route than let them close me down.
For more detail this is how it went:

I call the exec. dept. # that's on this thread and I started talking to the guy about my bank account issue and he told me that his dept. only has to do with CC's. I replied that that since I already have him on the phone I would like to know if my CC's are being affected by the issue to which he replied that everything looks good on the CC side. He the transferred me to Crabtree who has to do with bank accts. I asked her if there's anything that could be done about my bank acct. and also if this affects my CC's.
She told me she would get back to me within 1-2 days.

Today when she got back to me she said that the closure decision is final and irreversible and regarding my question about the CC's she's trying to get a hold of the same guy who transferred the call to her yesterday and he will ultimately get in touch with me regarding the decision.

The weird thing is if she wants to close down my CC's she surely can just speak to anyone at that dept., why davka that guy?

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: March 20, 2013, 08:23:47 PM »
So, Chase still doesn't like me. Almost 20 months after being AAd I still cannot be approved. I've had many lengthy conversations with the Executive Department who assured me my case was reviewed at the highest levels - but they refuse to budge.

They could care less about income or accessing your income taxes (unlike Amex). In my case, all they seem to care about is that at the time of the AA my credit report presented a 'risk.' When I applied a few weeks back the credit analyst reviewed my account and report and said he 'will recommend me for approval,' but after a lengthy hold said the decision will be sent by mail. The reason  being stated is 'previous negative experience with the bank.' In other words, my report is decent, certainly no worse than many of you here but because of this historical blemish I'm effectively banned.

They will not budge in suggesting how to remove this record, they insist there is no one higher to appeal to and it may or may not be there in the future.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: March 20, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
So I called to close down my checking/savings and they told me they can't close the checking cause today I withdrew my money and that transaction is "pending" until tomorrow.

Since I am on $0, I will probably incur a fee of $15 tonight. They will probably not allow me to close the account until that fee is paid.

So the question is: If I deposit cash tomorrow to cover that fee is that deposit also gonna be "pending" (just as today's cash withdrawal) or there's no pending status on a cash deposit?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #2475 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38:09 PM »
So I called to close down my checking/savings and they told me they can't close the checking cause today I withdrew my money and that transaction is "pending" until tomorrow.

Since I am on $0, I will probably incur a fee of $15 tonight. They will probably not allow me to close the account until that fee is paid.

So the question is: If I deposit cash tomorrow to cover that fee is that deposit also gonna be "pending" (just as today's cash withdrawal) or there's no pending status on a cash deposit?
The $15 cash deposit will be pending.
Why do you think you'll incur a fee? Is tomorrow the regular statement closing date?

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »
The $15 cash deposit will be pending.
Why do you think you'll incur a fee? Is tomorrow the regular statement closing date?
Tomorrow isn't the statement closing date but my understanding is that the fee gets applied as soon as a day closes without the minimum required balance.
I'd be glad to be wrong on that one.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
Tomorrow isn't the statement closing date but my understanding is that the fee gets applied as soon as a day closes without the minimum required balance.
I'd be glad to be wrong on that one.
No, if your account will be closed prior to the statement closing date, you won't get charged.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
No, if your account will be closed prior to the statement closing date, you won't get charged.
Awesome.

By the way, I just closed down 6 CC's with limited damage done :)

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: March 20, 2013, 10:04:31 PM »

By the way, I just closed down 6 CC's with limited damage done :)
That was a stupid move. You'll regret it.