Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1709792 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #3040 on: September 15, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #3041 on: September 15, 2013, 09:50:13 PM »
anybody had success lately with calling the executive office?
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 15, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »
anybody had success lately with calling the executive office?
Did you try calling?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: September 15, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »
not yet will call tomorrow iy'h

Offline MarkPresidentialPlus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:09 AM »
September 16, 2013
Thanks for the replies! I’ve been researching this daily “Chase Credit Limit $250,000 Card Cancelled.” I’ve read a lot of related posts about Chase cancelling credit card accounts, but the people eventually reveal that their own actions were probably the cause – Buying gift cards, coins, and other “cash equivalents,” or not paying on time, having major credit-related issues, etc.

My story actually get’s worse ..... After Chase cancelled my personal card @$250,000 and my business (employees only) card @$20,000, they cancelled my wife’s (totally separate) United MasterCard @$31,200! Finally, I received a letter that Chase cancelled my BP gas card ($650 limit) that I got when I was in college! Same “reason” for both – “Transactions on your account are inconsistent with expected activity” (Nobody at Chase will tell me what that means!)

I always tried to focus all my spending (personal and business) on the one United Presidential Plus account. The result – I haven’t paid for a plane ticket in nearly 2 years and I’m “Premier Platinum” on United. I have never paid a penny in interest, as we pay the entire balance in full every month (automatically on Chase.com). In the last 72 months I’ve spent $2,991,392 on a total of 6,379 transactions. That includes one “questionable” purchase of a single gift card for $225.

I fully realize that I probably don’t present as the most (economically) sympathetic figure, but I am totally stumped and would appreciate any / all suggestions.
Thanks,
M

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #3045 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:09 AM »
September 16, 2013
Thanks for the replies! I’ve been researching this daily “Chase Credit Limit $250,000 Card Cancelled.” I’ve read a lot of related posts about Chase cancelling credit card accounts, but the people eventually reveal that their own actions were probably the cause – Buying gift cards, coins, and other “cash equivalents,” or not paying on time, having major credit-related issues, etc.

My story actually get’s worse ..... After Chase cancelled my personal card @$250,000 and my business (employees only) card @$20,000, they cancelled my wife’s (totally separate) United MasterCard @$31,200! Finally, I received a letter that Chase cancelled my BP gas card ($650 limit) that I got when I was in college! Same “reason” for both – “Transactions on your account are inconsistent with expected activity” (Nobody at Chase will tell me what that means!)

I always tried to focus all my spending (personal and business) on the one United Presidential Plus account. The result – I haven’t paid for a plane ticket in nearly 2 years and I’m “Premier Platinum” on United. I have never paid a penny in interest, as we pay the entire balance in full every month (automatically on Chase.com). In the last 72 months I’ve spent $2,991,392 on a total of 6,379 transactions. That includes one “questionable” purchase of a single gift card for $225.

I fully realize that I probably don’t present as the most (economically) sympathetic figure, but I am totally stumped and would appreciate any / all suggestions.
Thanks,
M

Is this a letter you wrote to Chase?

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
i called executive office and they say its not negotiable
is there any way i can get my points back ? i see some ppl had success any tips ?

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: September 16, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
is there any way i can get my points back ? i see some ppl had success any tips ?

That's nuts. I've been fighting Chase for 2 years now and still no luck in being accepted back into the fold. I don't know how anyone has had any success after an AA even with the Exec Office. When they make a decision they tend to stick to it. All the exec office will do is talk to you for as long as you want (they're very polite) but if they believe they were within their rights then it won't make a difference. They don't seem to have any special powers other than to review what others had done.

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: September 16, 2013, 09:53:53 PM »
i heard lately lots of business got shut down by their loss preventing dept. just checking accounts too

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
i heard lately lots of business got shut down by their loss preventing dept. just checking accounts too
Personal checking or business checking? I'm beginning to rethink moving my accounts out of Chase.

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #3050 on: September 16, 2013, 10:36:02 PM »
Personal checking or business checking? I'm beginning to rethink moving my accounts out of Chase.
Its worth it to keep at least 10K it goes pretty far when it comes to recon. I got approved for 2 Cards that way.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3051 on: September 16, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
Both including savings.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: September 16, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
Business checking a account that is open for over 20 years

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: September 17, 2013, 01:32:58 AM »
Business checking a account that is open for over 20 years
What their strategy? Do they even have one? Is there any logic behind their way of conducting business.

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:38 AM »
What their strategy? Do they even have one? Is there any logic behind their way of conducting business.
CYA.

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: September 17, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
i guess they became too big and can't handle soo much

Offline yomo

• View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: September 17, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
« Reply #3047 on: Yesterday at 09:08:17 pm »
Quote from: yoss6400 on Yesterday at 05:27:52 pm

That's nuts. I've been fighting Chase for 2 years now and still no luck in being accepted back into the fold. I don't know how anyone has had any success after an AA even with the Exec Office. When they make a decision they tend to stick to it. All the exec office will do is talk to you for as long as you want (they're very polite) but if they believe they were within their rights then it won't make a difference. They don't seem to have any special powers other than to review what others had done.

Sue them in scc

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: September 18, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »
Sue them in scc
does it pay to waste time for that?

Offline emptyhouse

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Chase credit cards closed
« Reply #3058 on: September 23, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »
All of my chase cards where closed. I got a letter with the explanation of "spending activity not as expected" or something along those lines. Is there any way back from this? I had about 125k points with one of those cards. Can I get those back?
Any advice?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Chase credit cards closed
« Reply #3059 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:57 AM »
All of my chase cards where closed. I got a letter with the explanation of "spending activity not as expected" or something along those lines. Is there any way back from this? I had about 125k points with one of those cards. Can I get those back?
Any advice?

Sorry to hear. Wrong thread though.
Post in the Chase AA thread.
Visibly Jewish