Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1708111 times)

Offline Mmendel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #3240 on: October 03, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »

How many gcs are we talking about?
i bought $2,500 worth and my brother bought none. We were both shut down.
I keep calling chase and hearing the same response: it is due to insufficient credit history....
When I ask them why I've been reading about them telling this to people and later they find out they were Flagged for fraud, they tell me that this is the only reason I was shut down; insufficient credit history. They can't trust me with all that credit in one year...

Do you think it can be because we had four BA applications in one month? (Father, mother, brother and myself)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: October 03, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
Was talking to my Banker today in Brooklyn and asked him what this new closing accounts gesheft is, he replied hey your not the first one asking me this.... then we had a whole shmuzz.. he claims they are worried about money laundering, people having to much credit, 3'rd party checks, etc.... and he said that when ever they call up for a customer to see why they closed his accounts they usually wont even share it with the Banker they will just say we decided to stop the relationship with this customer period, however he tells me when a banker really want's he can get once accounts reopened, he mentioned a personal story where he called up for one of his good customers that CC has bin closed and he was pushing and pushing that he know's this guy for years and there is nothing what to worry about, and that he was by mistake shutdown... he asked to speak to higher departments, and in the end he got them reopened
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: October 03, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
i bought $2,500 worth and my brother bought none. We were both shut down.
I keep calling chase and hearing the same response: it is due to insufficient credit history....
When I ask them why I've been reading about them telling this to people and later they find out they were Flagged for fraud, they tell me that this is the only reason I was shut down; insufficient credit history. They can't trust me with all that credit in one year...

Do you think it can be because we had four BA applications in one month? (Father, mother, brother and myself)
Was in Chase GC?
And didn't you mention yesterday that they gave you 4 reasons for closing the accounts?

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: October 03, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
I keep seeing Chase GCs as being a recurring trigger...

Never either bought a GC and was shut. I did, however use AP.

There are two issues here: 1) Triggers and 2) The stated reason.

Its possible a trigger can result in a review which can result in a shutdown but they will never say you have been closed because of GC or AP. It could be AP is a trigger, but who knows.

Offline Mmendel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: October 03, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Does anyone have an email address to anyone higher up?
Ceo of credit card services? 

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: October 03, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »
Forgot the main part, in the end I asked him that even Chase want's to shutdown someone why are they taking HIS points away... he agreed with this point.. however he tells me that they got very strict about transferring UR to someone other then spouse, he told me that quite a while ago he was almost ready to sell his points here locally for someone but then the guy asked him his Chase log in info so he backed out.... and I told him yeah it got a big business and you can enjoy free trips with points and there is a lot of websites for this topic, so he says YEAH LIKE DANSDEALS!!!! EVERY TIME BEFORE I AM GOING ON A TRIP I AM CHECKING OUT THAT WEBSITE  :) though it didn't sound he knows much about the forums.

Offline Mmendel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: October 03, 2013, 07:10:31 PM »

Forgot the main part, in the end I asked him that even Chase want's to shutdown someone why are they taking HIS points away... he agreed with this point.. however he tells me that they got very strict about transferring UR to someone other then spouse, he told me that quite a while ago he was almost ready to sell his points here locally for someone but then the guy asked him his Chase log in info so he backed out.... and I told him yeah it got a big business and you can enjoy free trips with points and there is a lot of websites for this topic, so he says YEAH LIKE DANSDEALS!!!! EVERY TIME BEFORE I AM GOING ON A TRIP I AM CHECKING OUT THAT WEBSITE  :) though it didn't sound he knows much about the forums.
do you think a district manager has any more access?

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: October 03, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »
My wife's closure letters arrived today -- one for each of two cards.  One of them had the expected "spending not consistent with expectations" BS reason.  The other didn't have that, but instead had "you're the target of legal action" or something like that, which is completely false.  She called Chase and they couldn't tell her a single reason they wrote that -- note that I don't mean they stonewalled, the woman was trying to be helpful and put us on hold several times to go investigate, but she couldn't find any reason for it other than mentioning some credit dispute a year ago (which was settled amicably at the time and that was the end of it).  As far as I'm concerned they're just pulling excuses out of a hat to put on these form closures letters, because the real reason is just "you're unprofitable, go away", but they obviously can't write that.

Offline Bostener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:41 PM »
My wife's closure letters arrived today -- one for each of two cards.  One of them had the expected "spending not consistent with expectations" BS reason.  The other didn't have that, but instead had "you're the target of legal action" or something like that, which is completely false.  She called Chase and they couldn't tell her a single reason they wrote that -- note that I don't mean they stonewalled, the woman was trying to be helpful and put us on hold several times to go investigate, but she couldn't find any reason for it other than mentioning some credit dispute a year ago (which was settled amicably at the time and that was the end of it).  As far as I'm concerned they're just pulling excuses out of a hat to put on these form closures letters, because the real reason is just "you're unprofitable, go away", but they obviously can't write that.

Did you ever sell your points?
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
Did you ever sell your points?
Never sold or otherwise transferred points, even to spouse.

Offline youthink

• View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: October 03, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »
I'm starting to think the only real common denominator is that AA victims have multiple cards. Sure, on these forums having 3-4 cards makes you just average but for the non-mielage addict that's quite extreme.

Chase can easily query their database to sort by those with many cards, further filter by when those cards were open and then do some eyeballing of the transactions where they see GCs and AP.

Voila - alarm bells go off in their head that your either a risk, unprofitable or just a nuisance. They shut you down, add another closure to their monthly quota and hope their boss notices the good work they're doing so they get a raise.

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
I'm starting to think the only real common denominator is that AA victims have multiple cards. Sure, on these forums having 3-4 cards makes you just average but for the non-mielage addict that's quite extreme.

Chase can easily query their database to sort by those with many cards, further filter by when those cards were open and then do some eyeballing of the transactions where they see GCs and AP.

Voila - alarm bells go off in their head that your either a risk, unprofitable or just a nuisance. They shut you down, add another closure to their monthly quota and hope their boss notices the good work they're doing so they get a raise.
My wife and I each had two personal cards and one business card.  That's entirely reasonable even by non-churner standards, and we both got shut down.

Offline youthink

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: October 03, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
My wife and I each had two personal cards and one business card.  That's entirely reasonable even by non-churner standards, and we both got shut down.

Not really. Stop the average joe on the street and I doubt they would have more than 2 cards amongst all banks and probably have had them for years. As chase clearly lumps in everyone in the household to them this house has 6 cards which is an unacceptable risk in case you lose your job or some other crises. They don't want to be left holding all your debt.

Offline Bostener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: October 03, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »
Never sold or otherwise transferred points, even to spouse.
If you are really innocent why not file a complain with the  state and the feds.
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: October 03, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
If you are really innocent why not file a complain with the  state and the feds.
Innocent of what?  The terms say they can shut you down for any reason and they're exercising that right.  I was unprofitable, guilty as charged.  And I didn't lose any points, so I have nothing to gain by picking a fight.

My point is just that people keep going "there must be more to this story, you're not telling us everything"....nope, that's it.  They're not just going after the big fish now.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3255 on: October 03, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
Innocent of what?  The terms say they can shut you down for any reason and they're exercising that right.  I was unprofitable, guilty as charged.  And I didn't lose any points, so I have nothing to gain by picking a fight.

My point is just that people keep going "there must be more to this story, you're not telling us everything"....nope, that's it.  They're not just going after the big fish now.

That's the operative factor.

Too bad you didn't lose any points, you'd have been a good test case.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: October 03, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »

Most people here that got shutdown had 4/5 cards, believe me a lot of memners here are having 10+ cards and didn't got shutdown.

Offline Mmendel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: October 03, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »

Most people here that got shutdown had 4/5 cards, believe me a lot of memners here are having 10+ cards and didn't got shutdown.
my brother had 3

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
my brother had 3
Yup this is exactly what I meant to say, that having a lot of cards is not necessarily the trigger, by saying 4/5 I meant 4/5 or fewer.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: October 03, 2013, 10:38:02 PM »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
A friend of mine just sent me this email, a copy from a letter he got from Chase.
Dear Mr.*****

We are writing to notify you that we have closed the account referenced above. This action was taken in accordance with our termination rights as disclosed in your Cardmember Agreement.

We are taking this action due to the following reason

Transactions on your account are inconsistent with expected activity

If there is a balance owing on the account, we will continue to send monthly statements until the balance is paid in full.

In addition, please destroy all the cards and checks that access this account. Also please be sure to contact any merchants that you have authorized to make automatic charges, such as for insurance, membership, or ongoing services. You will need to cancel those charges or make other payments arrangements
Sincerely
Lending Services