Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1708246 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #3300 on: October 04, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
My business was total legit no gift cards or ap or evan a cc just checking for like 20 years and was shut down for no reason

I can not believe a bank will shut down a client of 20 years because the had a checking account -- got to be me more!!

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: October 04, 2013, 04:11:06 PM »
I would bet the reviews start with the checking account, as I have 2 friends that were shot down, and none of them are in the credit card business.

But we still don't know the reason. I have a feeling it has to do with third party check deposits aka double endorsed.

My wife's checking account started her review -- her checking was marked for death multiple days before her CC's were closed.

The ONLY activity on her checking account was $500ish ACH in and out once a month to avoid fees.  Literally, that's it.  So the ONLY possible reason to shut her account was because it was unprofitable.  It doesn't get any more clear cut than that.

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: October 04, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
My wife's checking account started her review -- her checking was marked for death multiple days before her CC's were closed.

The ONLY activity on her checking account was $500ish ACH in and out once a month to avoid fees.  Literally, that's it.  So the ONLY possible reason to shut her account was because it was unprofitable.  It doesn't get any more clear cut than that.

I have 3 checking accounts with chase-- 2 have not been used in 3 years( they are  life time fee free no minimum balance required etc  ) other does have activity --- I would guess it cost a bank almost nothing to maintain  a checking account that has no activity --I take you at your word , just that chase did not get to be the size bank they are by treating clients the way you describe -- also think how liberal and fair they are when you ask them to match a offer or call for good will etc

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: October 04, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
I would bet the reviews start with the checking account, as I have 2 friends that were shot down, and none of them are in the credit card business.

But we still don't know the reason. I have a feeling it has to do with third party check deposits aka double endorsed.

I never had a Chase checking account and was still shut down. Dan keeps on implying all of us AA victims did something untoward that we are just not sharing. I don't believe that's true. At least I know I have not been hiding anything in the over two years I've been discussing this here. I did use AP, but plenty of regular spending as well (in fact I was in a store using my sapphire when I found it the card wasn't working).

What is true, is that I opened up 4 chase cards in less than a year and had inquiries and active accounts from other lenders. Chase told me that presented a risk to them and they shut me down. I don't know what triggered this review.

If you think about it, I was shut down for precisely the same reasons it says on a typical credit profile are viewed as risky. Too many inquires, average age wasn't long enough, balances too high on some accounts etc etc. Unlike Amex who takes note of your income in FRs, Chase could not care less and only looks at the credit side of things. They don't care if you pay off your balance in full and never had a late payment.

Unprofitability may be a trigger but the only two stated reasons we know of are 'credit risk' and 'spending not consistent with expectations' whatever that means. Once they get you on that its very difficult to get back in because now you're on  record with them as having a 'negative relationship with the bank.'

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: October 04, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
My business was total legit no gift cards or ap or evan a cc just checking for like 20 years and was shut down for no reason
Did you deposit third party checks?
Btw the banker with who I spoke yesterday told me that they got very strict about third party checks and shuting down people for that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:32:08 PM by ilherman »
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: October 04, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
I have 3 checking accounts with chase-- 2 have not been used in 3 years( they are  life time fee free no minimum balance required etc  ) other does have activity --- I would guess it cost a bank almost nothing to maintain  a checking account that has no activity --I take you at your word , just that chase did not get to be the size bank they are by treating clients the way you describe -- also think how liberal and fair they are when you ask them to match a offer or call for good will etc
The cost to them wasn't maintaining the account, it was the $200 bonus they gave her to open the account.  It was clear from her activity that the account was only opened for the bonus -- which is true -- but that's to be expected when you're just handing out two benjamins for twenty minutes of your time.  I've churned checking bonuses for tons of banks and Chase is the only one that's ever shut me down for taking them up on their own promotion.  If they'd let her alone for another three months she would've closed the account herself...but by shutting her down they get to take their $200 back.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3306 on: October 04, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
Dan keeps on implying all of us AA victims did something untoward that we are just not sharing.

I said no such thing:

If they were just shutting down everyone who is unprofitable then how would FT/MP/DDF not be chock full of everyone getting shut down.
I think most people are just holding back the full details though I'm sure some people probably did nothing wrong per se.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: October 04, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
I said no such thing:
I think the point is just that whatever 'wrongdoing' people might or might not have done is NOT, in many cases, the cause of the current wave of shutdowns.  They're targeting people with a much broader brush this time around.

Offline youthink

• View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
I said no such thing:

My apologies. I don't believe even most are hiding something nefarious.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3309 on: October 04, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »
Nefarious is harsh.
I don't think a 3rd part check is nefarious.  But I do think many people aren't owning up to the entire circumstances.
And I'm not denying that some are getting caught up for no obvious reason, but I do think that's the minority.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #3310 on: October 04, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
Did you deposit third party checks?
Btw the banker with who I spoke yesterday told me that they got very strict about third party checks and shuting down people for that.
Never deposited a third party check. The only thing that might be is a wire transfer to chinato pay a vendor
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3311 on: October 04, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
Maybe, but I challenge you to find someone who was AAd with only one card.
Weak. I challenge you to find the DDF'er with just 1 Chase card.
You just lost your challenge.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline youthink

• View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: October 04, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »
You just lost your challenge.
I'm sorry to hear. Do tell.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: October 04, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »
I see many are suddenly mentioning churning the $200 account-opening bonus as a reason for an A/A. Is there any empirical data backing this up?

Offline youthink

• View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: October 04, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
I see many are suddenly mentioning churning the $200 account-opening bonus as a reason for an A/A. Is there any empirical data backing this up?

The problem is there is no empirical data at all about AAs. Lots of speculation as we collectively try to fight through the clutter to determine some sort of pattern.

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: October 04, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
1. The only suspicious things my wife and I ever did was blatantly churning the $200 checking bonuses and buying Chase gift cards.
2. Tons of FTers/MPers/DDFers bought way more gift cards than I ever did and never got shut down.
3. My checking account was closed first, followed by CC's several days later.

I think it's the reasonable conclusion to draw.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: October 04, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
I'm sorry to hear. Do tell.
Nothing to tell. I and many others have received AA from Chase on more than one occasion. The only difference is we know what it is from (MO deposits / churn CL 10-15X/mo). I look at it as part of the game and move on.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: October 04, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »
PSA: In case you have been hibernating in a cave for the last year. If you get a letter saying they are going to close your checking account it is a good bet your CC’s will follow. Get all your points out ASAP.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: October 04, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
1. The only suspicious things my wife and I ever did was blatantly churning the $200 checking bonuses and buying Chase gift cards.
2. Tons of FTers/MPers/DDFers bought way more gift cards than I ever did and never got shut down.
3. My checking account was closed first, followed by CC's several days later.

I think it's the reasonable conclusion to draw.
I hear ya. I was about to do my third $200 churn but now i'll have to weigh my options. Anyone else have any data points to add about the $200 churn?

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #3319 on: October 05, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »
what's the time frame to try to get in the game with chase?
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"