Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1710223 times)

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #4620 on: March 10, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
Spoke to my cousin who is a broker.  As posted above, he confirmed this was always the official policy but he was not aware of anyone being shut down for it.

(Talking about transfers to mileage programs, not to UR):

"I would just advise other members to exercise caution when performing these transfers, and to avoid transferring large amounts of points to many different accounts in a short time period since all of these could possibly raise red flags on your Ultimate Rewards account"

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/10/is-chase-cracking-down-on-ultimate-rewards-transfers/

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: March 10, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »

What are you trying to prove?

The fact that TPG is advising to stay away, is not proof that in reality it is/was an issue.

Offline dans fan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: March 10, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
Spoke to my cousin who is a broker.  As posted above, he confirmed this was always the official policy but he was not aware of anyone being shut down for it.
what did you expect?  he should admit to being responsible for accounts closed

Offline PBaruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: March 10, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
what did you expect?  he should admit to being responsible for accounts closed

He has no reason to lie to me, and I am not implying that he would lie to someone else.  Besides, if he was reckless and got accounts shut down, that would not be good for business. 
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: March 11, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »
He has no reason to lie to me, and I am not implying that he would lie to someone else.  Besides, if he was reckless and got accounts shut down, that would not be good for business.
thats exactly his reason to lie to you, so he could continue his "business". and yes its a fact these get are causing accounts to get shut down all the time

Offline PBaruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: March 11, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
thats exactly his reason to lie to you, so he could continue his "business". and yes its a fact these get are causing accounts to get shut down all the time

You don't even know him so cut out your insults.  I would trust him any day over you.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: March 14, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »
recently found this thread. unfortunately i got A/A'd about 2 weeks ago. I didnt know what hit me.  I will repost my posts from the freedom card thread that tells my story.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me.
I just saw today that Chase closed my freedom card with no warning. I have the card for a year, a bank account i dont use with them the money is just sitting there (so i can get the 10/10 bonus), and i have never missed a payment.

I called today and the csr sent me to a lender. she said i have high CL and my personal credit history is only 5 years. (I was AU for 4 years before then) and they decided I am too much of a credit risk. within the past 24 months i had 5 credit inquiries....     I said you just approved me last month for a CL increase which i did not request! i argued with her and she didnt budge. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after being on hold for a few minutes she said no one was available, but they would call within the next 24 hours. I'm also concerned that they closed it and even if they open it again they will not reinstate me into the grandfathered freedom awards program.

I just did an AOR last week for 3 new chase cards. as of now 1 is approved and 2 are pending 7-10 days, so i hope i got them all. the card they gave me has a 13,000 cl... my previouse cl on my freedom was 1500 before the increase...

they are just all over the place here with different conflicting actions.
what should i do? any advice for a n00b?

So no advice? I just saw I was denied for the sapphire, should I try to call reconsideration and get that approved with this Mrs going on, or resolve this first?

called again today, as i didn't receive a call back yesterday. The CSR supervisor was very surprised, but couldnt help. xfered me to Lending as she finally found a note its from their decision. They still refused to budge. they say my credit history isnt long enough, too much credit extended to me, agressive seeking of new credit is worrisome... and they are comfortable with their decision. should i concede defeat?

Quote from: HDS on March 05, 2014, 11:58:53 AM
Can you offer to move some credit from another card?

that is not the problem, the freedom was my only card with chase. i just did an AOR last week i think it was, and i know i was approved for 1, i'm not sure about the others yet. and then they just closed my freedom with no notice!

mind you unless they change their mind about the new card they gave me 13,000 cl and my freedom was 2500, but wtvr.

I'm so upset! I'm taking this personally, though i dont know why.

Quote from: PETERP on March 05, 2014, 03:45:37 PM
You have to emphasize that you  are not looking for additional credit , but want to take advantage of the wonderful benefits that Chase has so wisely
placed on their cards .

Tell them take $5k off the $13k CL and even lower your  CL to a total of $10K if they are uncomfortable till you establish a longer history with them  ,  but you  are  not aggressively looking for new credit

that's a great point, so true, and I will say that. Csr was nice, lenders were very firm. :( Wish I could speak to a different dept. Will threatening to close my bank account help at all?

Quote from: mommy of two on March 06, 2014, 02:04:06 PM
Okay, will try another call on Monday iyh, unless a supervisor calls me back...

In other sad news, I just got my new ink plus card in the mail and they cancelled that one too....  >:(

I'm still going to try on Monday again, didn't receive a call from supervisor... I hope I'll make some headway with taking a different strategy. My cl wasn't high to begin with, but I'm going to try. I'm scared what this fiasco did to my credit score... I'll check it Monday too iyh.

so I tried on tuesday. xfered to lending. the rep was really nice and patient. first I asked for an explanation of all the reasons on the letter. as i tried arguing with what she was explaining she said I havent done my own personal review of account, i'm only explaining what is says on the letter and they are generic so there can be contradictions.... (! wtvr.) Eventually i asked her to do her own review. she was very thorough and said she cant change anything herself, but she can make recommendations and ask for it to be reviewed, and that is the most she can do. she told me to call back on monday, and by then they should be able to give me an answer and i wouldnt have to wait for the letter to come. we'll see what happens! as of today, friday it is still closed. I feel like this is my last shot on the matter, so I'm hoping for good news. have a great shabbos and a freilichin Purim! 

ps, i found this thread that discusses this situation. posting for others who may not find it because they dont know what its called. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=11216.0

I actually was worried that there's something in the report to scare Chase.  Get the report.  Score's not so important right now.

i got the report on monday and dont see anything worrisome that i can see. i believe it is just chase being conservative. 5 years history, highish cl considering all my cards, medium income... etc. classic Chase A/A case unfortunately. pity i didnt know anything about it till it happend to me. I would have avoided my recent 3bm

sorry it's long, but i figured this shows in real time what happened. I didnt post everyone's responses unless they were important. I will update next week iyh. good erev shabbos and Freilichin Purim!

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: March 14, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
recently found this thread. unfortunately i got A/A'd about 2 weeks ago. I didnt know what hit me.  I will repost my posts from the freedom card thread that tells my story.
I'm not quoting your entire post, cause I don't want to fill the page with quotes...
Sounds like a classic Chase AA story, I hope you didn't have too many UR in there or are able to pull them out now. But as far as getting those cards back or even opening up now Chase cards in the future, recently now one has had any luck.

My story is similar to yours they shut me down after seeking credit from other banks (opened 3 cards at once from Citi, Chase and Barclays they approved me and they day the Chase card arrived all my Chase cards were closed). But lately it seems pretty common.

Did you have credit cards with other banks? Whats your combined credit limit?

When you get AA'd there is no one at Chase to talk to, it's like your on the black list, and honestly you can't threaten Chase to close your bank account as they will probably close it themselves as is common when someone is AA'd. It's a bit of a blow when its happens I was also down for a bit (mainly because of the 130K UR that was locked in there, which I later B'H was able to pull out) but thats part of this 'game'.

One thing you point out which reminds about the way I felt, is that 3BM and AOR are discussed here so freely and just reading this forums seems to encourage one to do an AOR etc. just as I started reading this forums more and came across the AOR thread I got excited and tried my luck. I think is should be written more clearly and in more places that you have to be careful and the potential risks involved of doing AOR's. Just my 2 cents.

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
Sounds like a classic Chase AA story, I hope you didn't have too many UR in there or are able to pull them out now. But as far as getting those cards back or even opening up now Chase cards in the future, recently now one has had

Did you have credit cards with other banks? Whats your combined credit limit?

When you get AA'd there is no one at Chase to talk to, it's like your on the black list, and honestly you can't threaten Chase to close your bank account as they will probably close it themselves as is common when someone is AA'd. It's a bit of a blow when its happens I was also down for a bit (mainly because of the 130K UR that was locked in there, which I later B'H was able to pull out) but thats part of this 'game'.

One thing you point out which reminds about the way I felt, is that 3BM and AOR are discussed here so freely and just reading this forums seems to encourage one to do an AOR etc. just as I started reading this forums more and came across the AOR thread I got excited and tried my luck. I think is should be written more clearly and in more places that you have to be careful and the potential risks involved of doing AOR's. Just my 2 cents.

Bh, my points are available, I have to decide what to do with them. My bank account is also active last I checked and was not affected at all. I agree more warning would be helpful to people with limited credit history. Yes I do bh have cards from other banks. I honestly don't know what my combined cl is. Thanks for responding googwallet. I wouldn't try again now, maybe 6 months...

Offline jk2

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: March 19, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
I need an advise. In August 2013, my chase accounts (4 CC and checking account) were closed because of "transactions were not appeared as should be" (translation - bought many Chase GCs, little other activity). I understand that I'm now on their blacklist. I want to get back. When I spoke with Chase reps last year, they told me to wait like 6 months and try again a "fresh start". So, what would be a good strategy - open a checking account online first, put enough money and see how it goes? Or go to branch to do the same? Or call first to Chase Executive office and talk about it, maybe they will remove me from their blacklist?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:30:14 PM by jk2 »

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:44 PM »
I need an advise. In August 2013, my chase accounts (4 CC and checking account) were closed because of "transactions were not appeared as should be" (translation - bought many Chase GCs, little other activity). I understand that I'm now on their blacklist. I want to get back. When I spoke with Chase reps last year, they told me to wait like 6 months and try again a "fresh start". So, what would be a good strategy - open a checking account online first, put enough money and see how it goes? Or go to branch to do the same? Or call first to Chase Executive office and talk about it, maybe they will remove me from their blacklist?
AFAIK, no one here had success opening CC with Chase after being AA'd. Is your goal to open a a Chase Checking account or ultimately to open Chase CC? I don't think anyone can advise you about this, and IMHO I don't think opening a Chase account would help unless you plan to put in serious money.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline Menachemfrombp

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: March 20, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
i had my bank account closed by chase in December due to some sort of transactions i still dont know what that means i didnt use that account for anything that might trigger i barley used it,  but i went and closed myself my chase cards (sp and united) was sacred that thats next to b closed and didnt want to b on my credit report closed by issuer, would it b good to try and open a new chase cc now or they will shut me down?

Offline jk2

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: March 20, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
AFAIK, no one here had success opening CC with Chase after being AA'd. Is your goal to open a a Chase Checking account or ultimately to open Chase CC? I don't think anyone can advise you about this, and IMHO I don't think opening a Chase account would help unless you plan to put in serious money.
Just my 2 cents.

My goal is to get Chase CCs again. I thought that having a checking account would help to get back on track.

Offline cubicles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: March 20, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
My goal is to get Chase CCs again. I thought that having a checking account would help to get back on track.
having a checking account with $10k for at least 3 months could help out but not much

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: March 20, 2014, 05:32:22 PM »
having a checking account with $10k for at least 3 months could help out but not much
not when you were a/a

Offline Ephraimh

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: March 20, 2014, 06:36:24 PM »

not when you were a/a
Interesting observation/question/theory:

Fact:
Some A/A victims get there checking account shut down and some don't.

Question:
When does chase close cc+checking, and when do they only close cc accounts but leave the checking account alone?

Theory #1:
Can it be that they'd close cc+checking if there's abuse involved (I.e. suspicious check activity, UR misused etc.), and leave your checking alone when there's no abuse involved (i.e only, too much credit limit/cards/requests)?

And theory #2 (goes really together with #1):

Can it be that only if there was abuse involved, you're black listed, and you're locked out of their system, but when there was no abuse involved (i.e checking still open) you're not black listed and you could eventually apply and get approved for Chase cc's?

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: March 20, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »
Interesting observation/question/theory:

Fact:
Some A/A victims get there checking account shut down and some don't.

Question:
When does chase close cc+checking, and when do they only close cc accounts but leave the checking account alone?

Theory #1:
Can it be that they'd close cc+checking if there's abuse involved (I.e. suspicious check activity, UR misused etc.), and leave your checking alone when there's no abuse involved (i.e only, too much credit limit/cards/requests)?

And theory #2 (goes really together with #1):

Can it be that only if there was abuse involved, you're black listed, and you're locked out of their system, but when there was no abuse involved (i.e checking still open) you're not black listed and you could eventually apply and get approved for Chase cc's?

Considering that there are no credible reports of anyone ever being approved for a cc after AA, your theory#2 seems incorrect.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #4637 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
Considering that there are no credible reports of anyone ever being approved for a cc after AA, your theory#2 seems incorrect.
Many have received CC's after the AARP AA. I was one of them.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
Many have received CC's after the AARP AA. I was one of them.
How long after?

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #4639 on: March 20, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
How long after?
IIRC this was about two years ago. I would say about 6 months. I received a preapproved leter for the Ink card so I went for it.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half