Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1699053 times)

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #5800 on: October 29, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »

Tried that, didn't work all I got was the canned response that they cant see any details and I'll recieve an explanation in writing.
That "explanation in writing" is going to be the same "canned response", call them again after getting the letter and push for a detailed "reminder".

Offline cdancer20

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: November 06, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »
So I got all of my Chase cards axed last week.  :-(  I appeared to happen right after I applied for, and was approved, for a BA card.  I guess this triggered a manual review and something was seen.  I did do a lot of MS on the cards but I'm curious if it has something to do with Citi reporting a high balance to my CR for 3 months.  I was waiting for the letter in the mail before calling the Executive line but more than a week later and still nothing.  I finally called a number yesterday (not the one listed in the Wiki.  I had to search for a new one.)  Person couldn't tell me the reason why my accounts were closed.  Said she had to research.  Is this common for them to not be able to answer that up front?  If not, how long does it normally take to call back?

Offline PBaruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: November 06, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
So I got all of my Chase cards axed last week.  :-(  I appeared to happen right after I applied for, and was approved, for a BA card.  I guess this triggered a manual review and something was seen.  I did do a lot of MS on the cards but I'm curious if it has something to do with Citi reporting a high balance to my CR for 3 months.  I was waiting for the letter in the mail before calling the Executive line but more than a week later and still nothing.  I finally called a number yesterday (not the one listed in the Wiki.  I had to search for a new one.)  Person couldn't tell me the reason why my accounts were closed.  Said she had to research.  Is this common for them to not be able to answer that up front?  If not, how long does it normally take to call back?

You can stand on your head but they will never tell you the reason.  The executive office will typically call you back within a week or so.  Good luck.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline cdancer20

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: November 06, 2015, 10:23:43 AM »
You can stand on your head but they will never tell you the reason.  The executive office will typically call you back within a week or so.  Good luck.
Thanks.  I'm just curious if it's worth trying to get them to appeal.  Based on recent reports though, it seems to be pointless.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: November 06, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »
Thanks.  I'm just curious if it's worth trying to get them to appeal.  Based on recent reports though, it seems to be pointless.

There is no harm in trying but I believe it will be worthless.  Accept the fact that you are now toast with Chase and move on.  Sorry.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #5805 on: November 06, 2015, 10:27:18 AM »
I completely forgot about my wife's A/A 3-4 years ago and signed her up for the ink. She got declined for "previous unsatisfactory relationship blah blah.."  is there any hope or do I just let this one go.

before applying in these circumstances always wait 2/3 years and dispute all chase cards you ever had with the experian etc
after that you should be fine

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: November 06, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
before applying in these circumstances always wait 2/3 years and dispute all chase cards you ever had with the experian etc

What do you mean dispute chase cards?

Offline Sport

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: November 06, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »
Even if I currently have open chase credit cards ? 

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: November 06, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »
How much (across all your cards) were you averaging in MS?

Offline cdancer20

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: November 09, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »
How much (across all your cards) were you averaging in MS?
Oh I will admit that I was an MS-nut so I'm not surprised that I was cut.  I didn't do a lot of MS on my Ink card.  I probably sent $2.5k once a month or every other month on a $5k limit.  The rest was a lot of 1% MS at close to 100% of my CL each month.  (Not on all cards at once but at least half of them.  I had 5 I think.).   AGCs (back when...), VGC purchases, and Buxx loads.  I'm guilty and I know it LOL.  I just don't know what actually trigger them to pick me out of the bunch.

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #5810 on: November 23, 2015, 11:43:15 PM »
how do i get chase to delete accounts i've had with them previously from their system?
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: December 01, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »
Is shifting credit line between cards every few months a cause for being A/A'd?

Offline cdancer20

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
I thought that I would come back and report on my account closure.  I heard back from the Executive line and they basically reiterated what my original letter said.  No additional details about why I was closed other than "unexpected activity" and enclosed a copy of all of my credit card T&Cs.  So I'm done with Chase  :'(  At least I got many thousands of dollars of travel out of them.   So it's not the end of the world (completely).  I was able to get all but 500 of my points out of the account.  They gave me 30 days so that's good.  I was one of the ones that didn't move immediately b/c I didn't want to put points somewhere that I didn't immediately need them.  In the end, I just had to guess about where they should go.  I had several thousands of dollars sitting there so it would have been a stab to the heart if they didn't let me transfer out.

I, however, plan to try to dispute the hard pull for my last Chase card.  They approved me but then shut me down 2 days later.  A waste of a hard pull and should not have gone through if they were in the process of closing my accounts.  Doubt it will work but it's definitely worth a shot.  I will DEFINITELY dispute if the card shows up on my account though!  No reason to have another card hurting my already low AAoA.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: December 01, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »
Bankers and a Branch manager have told me that even when their client's accounts are shut down they are not told the specific reasons. Once the decision is made in some office somewhere, it's a done deal.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: December 01, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
Bankers and a Branch manager have told me that even when their client's accounts are shut down they are not told the specific reasons. Once the decision is made in some office somewhere, it's a done deal.
Why the need for such secrecy ?

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: December 01, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »
Why the need for such secrecy ?
Specualtion relates to the $2 Billion fine Chase was hit with.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline cubicles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: December 10, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »
Does anyone know any UR accounts that were closed in the past year for transferring/combining points ? 

Offline cubicles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: December 16, 2015, 02:31:14 PM »
Does anyone know any UR accounts that were closed in the past year for transferring/combining points ? 
BUMP

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: December 18, 2015, 04:05:01 PM »
Spent about $1,500 on the first day of receiving my UAE Chase card and it got locked for fraud alert. Chase called and asked me some questions to identify me (i.e. Which address have you lived at, etc.). After that, they confirmed all the charges with me and said that the card is unlocked. Is this a mini A/A or just standard fraud prevention procedure?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: December 18, 2015, 04:15:11 PM »
Spent about $1,500 on the first day of receiving my UAE Chase card and it got locked for fraud alert. Chase called and asked me some questions to identify me (i.e. Which address have you lived at, etc.). After that, they confirmed all the charges with me and said that the card is unlocked. Is this a mini A/A or just standard fraud prevention procedure?
I don't think there is such a thing as a "mini" A/A. Chase shuts you down. Amex has a mini FR.