Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1686988 times)

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #7100 on: March 10, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
Signed in to my accounts Friday and it showed all my chase credit cards were closed  about 5 cards last one opened in 2017,  checked my wife that were separate accounts we were not additional on each other and all were closed i have a chase checking and it still shows open, and i have 1 chase ink  that still shows open, chase ink  was on separate login. anything i can do? i have solid history with chase  over 13 years, dont know what i did that caused it (the only thing i can think of was always paying this account with a different bank from FIL name if that caused it if i add myself on the bank account and then call chase will that help me?) any recommendations what to do???

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: March 10, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »
Signed in to my accounts Friday and it showed all my chase credit cards were closed  about 5 cards last one opened in 2017,  checked my wife that were separate accounts we were not additional on each other and all were closed i have a chase checking and it still shows open, and i have 1 chase ink  that still shows open, chase ink  was on separate login. anything i can do? i have solid history with chase  over 13 years, dont know what i did that caused it (the only thing i can think of was always paying this account with a different bank from FIL name if that caused it if i add myself on the bank account and then call chase will that help me?) any recommendations what to do???
most likely nothing to do. I've never heard of them asking proof of you being a signer on that other account. It would be a real long shot to get added then try to convince them, as they won't tell you the reason why you were shut
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: March 10, 2019, 07:12:24 PM »
most likely nothing to do. I've never heard of them asking proof of you being a signer on that other account. It would be a real long shot to get added then try to convince them, as they won't tell you the reason why you were shut

I dont think it would be a long shot at all. i can just go in to bank with my FIL and he adds me to checking account as signer. why would that be long shot?

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: March 10, 2019, 08:02:33 PM »
I dont think it would be a long shot at all. i can just go in to bank with my FIL and he adds me to checking account as signer. why would that be long shot?
Chase doesn't say, hey we shut you for not being a sivner in an account, they give a generic nonesenical reason, and there's no one to talk to in most cases.

― Aristotle

Offline ib3

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: April 07, 2019, 07:08:54 AM »
Any updates?
It would be nice to hear back from someone after they've tried to reinstate, to know if there is any chance.....
Thanks

Offline danfan5773

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: April 07, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
Any updates?
It would be nice to hear back from someone after they've tried to reinstate, to know if there is any chance.....
Thanks
so to report back
I never went in to the bank to add myself as signer Because i dont think that was the reason they closed, as i observed the closure i felt the reason they closed was my wife accounts, ( as i had 1 account biz ink on separate user id not connected to her and it wasn't closed and it still is open) her accounts must have triggered something i just dont know what it is, she has a perfect score it may be she has to many credit cards no loan history (auto etc) thats the only thinking i can come up with.
I tried to get them t reopen i opened case spoke to people i got nowhere. i was lucky they gave me 30 days and i was able to transfer my points out but unlucky as i sent it all to united.

Offline igal6810

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: May 02, 2019, 09:35:08 PM »
I have 4 chase personal cards and 1 business card. I recently opened Case ink Business Cash and it has 0% APR for 12 months. They gave me a CL if 7k and I currently have a balance of $4k on it that I’m planning on paying off slowly I’m the course of 12 months by making minimum payments before the due date. Does anyone know if this is risky and could trigger an A.A.? Thanks

Offline israshot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: May 21, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
Chase closed my personal and biz cc about a year ago but I kept my biz checking account with them. Today I received an offer with invitation code on my corp to open the Ink. Does that mean that I can reopen it again or it's nothing?

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: May 21, 2019, 11:32:57 PM »
Chase closed my personal and biz cc about a year ago but I kept my biz checking account with them. Today I received an offer with invitation code on my corp to open the Ink. Does that mean that I can reopen it again or it's nothing?
That in itself doesn't mean much.

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: May 21, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »
I have 4 chase personal cards and 1 business card. I recently opened Case ink Business Cash and it has 0% APR for 12 months. They gave me a CL if 7k and I currently have a balance of $4k on it that I’m planning on paying off slowly I’m the course of 12 months by making minimum payments before the due date. Does anyone know if this is risky and could trigger an A.A.? Thanks
Doubtful.

― Aristotle

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7110 on: June 14, 2019, 06:07:33 PM »
Any thoughts on the risk with changing my IP cc from a sole prop to a new business name corp?

Offline shie123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: August 15, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
So I have been paying my personal Chase card with a chase business checking account (not in my name) for years now and I have just been told that this is very risky.
Can anyone elaborate if that is true?
I see nothing in the wiki about that.

TIA!

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: August 23, 2019, 08:48:44 AM »
was shut down over 3 yrs ago
applied for a chase cc now and was declined bc of that  :'(
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #7113 on: August 23, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
was shut down over 3 yrs ago
applied for a chase cc now and was declined bc of that  :'(
Wow they must really hate you. What did the letter say?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: August 23, 2019, 07:01:31 PM »
Wow they must really hate you. What did the letter say?

Didn’t receive it
When I called up to try to ask why it was an automatic decline ..
They told me bc a while ago chase shut me down ...
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline mendy613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Help Please!
« Reply #7115 on: September 23, 2019, 08:35:51 PM »
HELP!!!!!

Wife and I got all our personal cards and some business cards shut down today out of the blue...
Had cards with them for 6 years.
No shtick in at least two years (havent opened new cards in two years, but had almost all cards at least twice over the years).

They left our checking and some random business cards.
Said they mailed a letter with more information.

I had the executive line open a case for my reserve and freedom cards.

Offline Abey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: September 23, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »
Been getting 10 day holds on my deposits (not mo’s etc) regular activity but some ramped up spending recently, sign of AA ?

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: September 23, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »
Been getting 10 day holds on my deposits (not mo’s etc) regular activity but some ramped up spending recently, sign of AA ?

Had one large deposit held, and they told me whenever they get a warning that the payee bank account may be overdrawn and reversed, they hold it. Because banks could pull back payment within 10 days. So I guess it's the people you deal with are having financial issues.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Help Please!
« Reply #7118 on: September 23, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »
Don't be surprised if they are closed in a couple of days also.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please!
« Reply #7119 on: September 24, 2019, 08:27:12 AM »
HELP!!!!!

Wife and I got all our personal cards and some business cards shut down today out of the blue...
Had cards with them for 6 years.
No shtick in at least two years (havent opened new cards in two years, but had almost all cards at least twice over the years).

I had the executive line open a case for my reserve and freedom cards.
Did you get a lot of credit with other banks recently?