Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1700444 times)

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #5720 on: May 12, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »

You are supposed to, but the banks don't like it
Hence my question, if I'm msing with my chase cards is it a better idea to lower my total credit line ?
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: May 12, 2015, 01:16:45 PM »
Hence my question, if I'm msing with my chase cards is it a better idea to lower my total credit line ?
I wouldn't MS or keep my credit line to high, and please don't ask how much is considered too high, because I don't know

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: May 13, 2015, 09:47:12 PM »
So I was shut down last August as I increased my spending on CC too Rapidly
applied last week for the UA card, instantly denied, called recon was told that I had a a recent bad experience with bank. when I asked what I can do, was told I have to write to credit analyst dept as they don't have access to my info. HUCA'ed till I found a rep that would email my application to an offline review dep, ant just checked
I was approved for 7k
called a few times already and every rep swears that they never heard of this "offline review" department, or they say that they are the review department. any other pointers that might help?

Offline steves

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: May 14, 2015, 05:59:44 AM »
Which number did you call? I had no luck with the reconsideration line, however the lending dpt knew abt it.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: May 14, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
You're not supposed to do MS?
It is not the intended use of the card according to the issuers.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: May 14, 2015, 07:07:54 AM »
You would want to raise it so you can hit them harder.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline bar19900

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: May 14, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
is the lending department the best to contact for reconsideration of your account closure?  is it worth my time HUCA'ing?  I really don't think I have a really bad report that warranted a shutdown.  Or are most of you just eating the loss and looking to get back on their good side in a year or two?

Offline David_

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: May 14, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »
Chase shutdown a checking account that I just opened last week ($300 bonus). I have an existing Freedom and CSP that are still open for now. The problem is they locked me out of Chase Online so I can only check account info over the phone. I visited my Private Client banker and they couldn't help other than to setup paper statements for the credit accounts.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: May 14, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
Chase shutdown a checking account that I just opened last week ($300 bonus). I have an existing Freedom and CSP that are still open for now. The problem is they locked me out of Chase Online so I can only check account info over the phone. I visited my Private Client banker and they couldn't help other than to setup paper statements for the credit accounts.
Any reason given for the account shutdown ?

Offline David_

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: May 14, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
Any reason given for the account shutdown ?

"Chase has chosen to end its relationship with you."

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: May 15, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »
When i called Chase to ask for a CC replacement for my ink card they told me that there was a pop up msg on the screen that asked the next rep that speaks to me to ask me what type of business i have, is that unusual?

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: May 15, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »

When i called Chase to ask for a CC replacement for my ink card they told me that there was a pop up msg on the screen that asked the next rep that speaks to me to ask me what type of business i have, is that unusual?
Pure A/A paranoia

Offline Menachemfrombp

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: May 21, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
this is from ddms back in oct 2013

-Transferring/Receiving Ultimate Rewards points to/from another Ultimate Rewards points account that belongs to someone besides you or your spouse.
This is a known way to get your Chase accounts shut down. Anecdotal evidence is that transfers directly to someone else’s airline/hotel account (as opposed to Ultimate Rewards account) is safe, though a couple people have reported that they think it may be a trigger as well.

how risky is it?

Offline cubicles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »
this is from ddms back in oct 2013

-Transferring/Receiving Ultimate Rewards points to/from another Ultimate Rewards points account that belongs to someone besides you or your spouse.
This is a known way to get your Chase accounts shut down. Anecdotal evidence is that transfers directly to someone else’s airline/hotel account (as opposed to Ultimate Rewards account) is safe, though a couple people have reported that they think it may be a trigger as well.

how risky is it?

IME (x100+) never B"H

Offline CtownBin

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: May 21, 2015, 08:46:07 PM »
Hi all,

Today I have come across a rather strange situation, and I was wondering what some of the more senior folk here think...

First the background: I was completely A/A'ed by Chase back in August 2013, and had everything closed- which included, at the time, A United Explorer, Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Ink Bold, and even the checking account. It was probably due to the Chase Gift Cards which were going on at the time. I was never able to get a reason out of them, even after calling the Executive Office, just the same old line about "spending not consistent with expected activity," and that was pretty much that. All my points were lost, but thanks to A LOT of good fortune that only came to about 15,000 all-in.

I didn't know if I could get back or not, and I figured I'd lay low for a bit, but about 9-10 months or so later (May/June 2014) the Ink ran their 60,000 point signup bonus again, for Business Week. I figured I didn't have much to lose, so I went for it- and I got approved! I figured it was because they had softened their stance in the interim, at least that's what reports here and FT were saying. In any event, I was happy and didn't much care what had changed or that it had been relatively soon, and about 4 months later or so in October 2014, I did a 2BM for a Sapphire Preferred and Freedom and was approved for both.

Two months later, in January, my Ink Bold was closed once again. Same thing as before, no reason given- standard expected activity line (but NOT "previous unsatisfactory relationship," I should note.) But this time was different- for whatever reason, my Sapphire Preferred and Freedom were completely unharmed, and worked as normal. And, I was able to get my points out of the Ink, no problem, unlike last time. I don't know why the Ink was singled out- sure, there was some moderate MS at Staples and OfficeMax, but nothing crazy. It could be connected to the previous A/A, but as I said my Sapphire and Freedom were untouched, who knows.

Fast forward to today. I applied for the United Explorer, got pending, called recon. She said it was denied because of "previous unsatisfactory relationship with Chase or its affiliates." I was literally shocked- because since that unsatisfactory relationship happened, I had already gotten approved for THREE new cards, two of which were still active right now! I was tempted to point out to her that this seems strange, given that I have two open cards as we speak- but I didn't, out of fear that she might say something like "you're right, you shouldn't have these" and proceed to close them. She said if I like, she can put me on a 3-5 minute hold to look into a more detailed reason; however, in the moment, I was nervous she might start looking around, realize I should never have been approved for the 2 cards I still had, and that it could end badly for me. So I politely said I didn't have time for another hold, thanked her, and hung up.

The question is- what now? It is pretty strange, I think, to be in an "unsatisfactory relationship" with a bank, and yet have 2 open cards with them. Of course, in theory, I would like to play the usual HUCA game and try to get approved for this card- 55k miles is a decent signup, after all. However, if "previous unsatisfactory relationship" is in the application, I have an ugly feeling it will come up with every recon call. Is this true? More importantly- by calling in, do I risk have them poking around and put my 2 open cards in jeopardy? I obviously don't want another all-out A/A from Chase, but 55k miles is a lot to pass up after the pull was already done.

Thoughts?

Offline rivkao

• View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »
I've heard quite a few reports lately from people who got shut down from chase right after opening accounts. Either before or right after spending. Is  chase getting worse? They are definitely worse than amex since they don't even give you a chance, and once it's closed there is no going back.

Offline bar19900

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: May 22, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
I was recently AA'd and they shut down my 3 personal accounts and 1 of my 2 inks.  They wouldn't provide a reason or reconsider.  I truly didn't even abuse my cards.  I wish I knew why my 1 ink is still alive.....I bet it's a mistake.  I also have heard weird  stories like yours where cards were approve but they were technically blacklisted some time ago.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: May 26, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »
Hi all,

Today I have come across a rather strange situation, and I was wondering what some of the more senior folk here think...

First the background: I was completely A/A'ed by Chase back in August 2013, and had everything closed- which included, at the time, A United Explorer, Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Ink Bold, and even the checking account. It was probably due to the Chase Gift Cards which were going on at the time. I was never able to get a reason out of them, even after calling the Executive Office, just the same old line about "spending not consistent with expected activity," and that was pretty much that. All my points were lost, but thanks to A LOT of good fortune that only came to about 15,000 all-in.

I didn't know if I could get back or not, and I figured I'd lay low for a bit, but about 9-10 months or so later (May/June 2014) the Ink ran their 60,000 point signup bonus again, for Business Week. I figured I didn't have much to lose, so I went for it- and I got approved! I figured it was because they had softened their stance in the interim, at least that's what reports here and FT were saying. In any event, I was happy and didn't much care what had changed or that it had been relatively soon, and about 4 months later or so in October 2014, I did a 2BM for a Sapphire Preferred and Freedom and was approved for both.

Two months later, in January, my Ink Bold was closed once again. Same thing as before, no reason given- standard expected activity line (but NOT "previous unsatisfactory relationship," I should note.) But this time was different- for whatever reason, my Sapphire Preferred and Freedom were completely unharmed, and worked as normal. And, I was able to get my points out of the Ink, no problem, unlike last time. I don't know why the Ink was singled out- sure, there was some moderate MS at Staples and OfficeMax, but nothing crazy. It could be connected to the previous A/A, but as I said my Sapphire and Freedom were untouched, who knows.

Fast forward to today. I applied for the United Explorer, got pending, called recon. She said it was denied because of "previous unsatisfactory relationship with Chase or its affiliates." I was literally shocked- because since that unsatisfactory relationship happened, I had already gotten approved for THREE new cards, two of which were still active right now! I was tempted to point out to her that this seems strange, given that I have two open cards as we speak- but I didn't, out of fear that she might say something like "you're right, you shouldn't have these" and proceed to close them. She said if I like, she can put me on a 3-5 minute hold to look into a more detailed reason; however, in the moment, I was nervous she might start looking around, realize I should never have been approved for the 2 cards I still had, and that it could end badly for me. So I politely said I didn't have time for another hold, thanked her, and hung up.

The question is- what now? It is pretty strange, I think, to be in an "unsatisfactory relationship" with a bank, and yet have 2 open cards with them. Of course, in theory, I would like to play the usual HUCA game and try to get approved for this card- 55k miles is a decent signup, after all. However, if "previous unsatisfactory relationship" is in the application, I have an ugly feeling it will come up with every recon call. Is this true? More importantly- by calling in, do I risk have them poking around and put my 2 open cards in jeopardy? I obviously don't want another all-out A/A from Chase, but 55k miles is a lot to pass up after the pull was already done.

Thoughts?

Similar experience here (without the second partial A/A).
Wife and I were both approved for 2/3BM with no recon necessary 12 months after total A/A (we both lost all CCs and checking accounts). We have both tried appliying for more cards since then (4 months after initial approvals) and both got denied due to previous unsatisfactory relationship, although b"H ka"h previously approved accounts are all still alive and kicking.
very curious.

Has anyone here ever tried applying for a new checking account after A/A?

I was planning to buy 2 x 300/150 coupons, but it just occured to me that we might not be eligible to open checking accounts due to previous unsatisfactory relationships.

If there is no solid info either way, I'll probably buy one first and give it a shot, but if anyone here has experience applying for a checking account after A/A, particularly after being approved for CCs, I'd be interested to hear it.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: May 26, 2015, 12:20:34 PM »
Has anyone here ever tried applying for a new checking account after A/A?
Just did a month ago. No issues, IME. (They still won't approve me for cards)

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »

Just did a month ago. No issues, IME. (They still won't approve me for cards)
Fantastic.
Thanks for sharing!